Opinions on Sonique SE 5.5 - amp match

Hi there,

I haven't posted much before but would appreciate any advice regarding my set up.

I recently bought the Sonique SE 5.5's and am trying to get the most out of them by considering amplifiers that others use and consider well matched. I've had mostly vintage equipment and enjoyed my Sony SS-7300's and Boston Acoustics A40/A70 and Rega ELA's in the past.

I have used a few amplifiers - Accuphase E204, Rotel RA-971mkii, Jason J2-10 vintage valve amp and I also have a Yamaha A-1 I haven't tried yet. The 3 SS amps are about 70wpc - do I need more?

My sources are Rotel RCD-1070, Pioneer TU-8500ii tuner and Technics SL-1700 w Rega Bias2. Medium room.

Love to hear your thoughts if anything resonates.

The Yamaha and the Accuphase should do the job.

The SE's needed a bit of grunt to run the bottom end properly, but they had good overall bass.

The 5.5's I absolutely loved but Max offered me a pair of AR Classic 26'ers at a very good price and couldnt turn him down.

Ohh, I hope you have the amp plugged into the wall, not a powerboard. And if you are close to the Distribution board, get a sparky to run a separate 20-30 amp circuit with good quality GPO's and plug into that.

Edited by Wimbo

I have my 6.5 SE's running off a Kenwood L1000 pre and power amp. The power amp is 180watts, have tried them with a low power valve amp but wasn't very impressed with that combination.

Had a quick listen with Denon avr x1200 but that didn't drive them very well.

I do think they need a bit of power to sound their best, I would have thought the Accuphase would be quite good pairing.

Cheers DaveIMG_1830.thumb.JPG.61f23b61238cd8a72b5c6643daf2bb40.JPG 

• Like 2

Thanks Wimbo and Dave - wimbo I will try the amp direct into the wall as it's been on a power board - what is the advantage of doing so? Dave - nice set up - I'm keen to try some more power but have a limited options at the moment, though I do have an old Sony power amp MU-A200.

Thanks again for replying.

Cheers, Ben

The Sony should be able to give the 5.5's a kick in the guts, wake em up a bit.:D

Not sure how it will sound but worth a try, from there you could be a little more informed and decide if it's worth while getting something a little more refined but with more power and headroom.

Cheers Dave