New Magico M6 Details

On 16/05/2017 at 5:54 PM, WhakPak said:

Hopefully in about a week. The problem will be, as before, they get delivered at my front door, but to get them inside might take another 2 weeks. They are not man unit portable and I'm dependent on the generosity of others to spare their time to help me manouvre them to where they need to end up.

I'm sure there would be a few SNA members who would offer to help you with the move. 

Guest guru
1 hour ago, WhakPak said:

I'm taking them with me, get GST back at airport.

You do realise this refund situation only applies to carry on or checked in luggage and not with any goods processed through a freight forwarder.

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, WhakPak said:

I'm taking them with me, get GST back at airport.

I'm confused...

So you are having them shipped to you in Australia and paying GST.

Then you are taking them out of the country and getting a GST refund.

And then you are bringing them back and not paying GST.

Is that the plan?

Guest Karl Rand
1 hour ago, Nap250 said:

I'm sure there would be a few SNA members who would offer to help you with the move. 

Anyone contemplating such a move needs to act carefully. I was in a similar situation in the early days of the web and stupidly arranged help via an on line forum. One week later I was burgled of the new speakers, the associated gear and a large collection of recordings.

The Magico Q5 series one was certainly a great sounding speaker ( i have done a demo) so i don't doubt  this is better and that Magico can make nice speakers. Thing is, Vivid Audio and the G1 spirit is out there and they have been lavashing effort in optimum cabinet design well beyond a curvy cabinet for a decade.  I would want to compare this speaker to the cheaper South African product first before purchase.  

Where are the tapered tubes off the back of the drivers for example.  The simpler tubless curvy bass enclosure of my B1 model is their measured weak point against the G series according to Vivid.

i am talking performance by the way. Personal preference on looks aside.

Edited by Briz Vegas

Guest Karl Rand
2 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

The Magico Q5 series one was certainly a great sounding speaker ( i have done a demo) so i don't doubt  this is better and that Magico can make nice speakers. Thing is, Vivid Audio and the G1 spirit is out there and they have been lavashing effort in optimum cabinet design well beyond a curvy cabinet for a decade.  I would want to compare this speaker to the cheaper South African product first before purchase.  

Where are the tapered tubes off the back of the drivers for example.  The simpler tubless curvy bass enclosure of my B1 model is their measured weak point against the G series according to Vivid.

i am talking performance by the way. Personal preference on looks aside.

Theory tells us curvy cabinets cannot make up for lesser driver materials and design just as boxy rectangular cabinets can degrede the performance of the best drivers. Well that's the theory. Having just heard Yamaha's latest using Xylon drivers on a wide flat surface sound more natural than anything I've encountered outside of a concert hall I wonder if the theory really does always apply. There's more going on here than meets the ear.

11 hours ago, Karl Rand said:

Anyone contemplating such a move needs to act carefully. I was in a similar situation in the early days of the web and stupidly arranged help via an on line forum. One week later I was burgled of the new speakers, the associated gear and a large collection of recordings.

That's a terrible story!  :(

The only hifi burglary i have ever had was back in 1979.  I had just taken delivery of a Mitchell Transcriptor? (the one in Clockwork Orange) ... and a couple of days later was relieved of it and my amp (can't remember what it was).  I always thought that someone in the hifi store must've passed on the addresses of people who had bought good gear, to their shifty mates ... who then did the deed.

But the insurance company came good ... so i bought an LP12 and some Naim gear from The Soundcraftsman - which didn't suddenly disappear!  :thumb:

Andy

Guest Karl Rand

Douglas Hi-Fi, once of Bourke St Melb had a nasty reputation for high-end gear they'd sold being burgled both in purchasers' homes and off the back of the truck on the way to delivery. An acquaintance was offered a hot pair of Amcron hybrid dynamic/electrostatic speakers and Crown amps 'off the back of the truck' by a Douglas employee. Miserable bugger bought them. 

10 hours ago, metal beat said:

Go Tasso!!

I know Tasso well, he's no gorilla and I'm pretty sure he can't bench press 272 kg! 

WP, glad to help out with Q3 if you need a hand ...can provide police clearance too. :D

Steve.

Edited by Steve M

You could always hire one of those specialty freight moving companies.

They will send a few guys around and move them into place pretty easily.

Give them a call and explain what you want moved. They are normally insured in case something happens.

51 minutes ago, Steve M said:

I know Tasso well, he's no gorilla and I'm pretty sure he can't bench press 272 kg!

Said non-gorilla was gorilla enough to install my S3 @ 196 kg. I'll feed said gorilla a bunch of bananas for an energy boost to 272 kg. But Q3 and S7 are the same weight, and he's proven his form in that weight division before.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

A big wooden shipping crate with a black M branded on the side landed at my front door today. Too heavy to move. I wonder what it could be.

Only one crate? Going mono?

So are they in, up and running?

If you are looking for another pair of hands for the move I'd be eager to help. I move my (relatively small) S5s around from time to time. I even managed to get them inside and out of the crates by myself!

14 minutes ago, a.dent said:

So are they in, up and running?

Nope. They are still boxed up exactly where the AirRoad delivery driver left them...

When I bought S3 they waited outside boxed up for 3 weeks before I could get somebody to help me get them inside.