New Magico M6 Details

Here She Is.... She is both sexy and exxy (Rumoured US$172,000/pair)

m62p4j8c.jpg

The new M6 represents the culmination of such efforts and a major advance in loudspeaker design. The most compelling aspect is the six-sided, monocoque enclosure sculpted of ½” carbon fibre, leveraging the latest Aerospace materials and technologies. Similar to the external shell of an F-35 fighter jet, this method of construction increases the structural strength-to-weight ratio by a factor of 60, while reducing overall weight by 50% and yielding outer dimensions that are 30% smaller without compromising internal volume. The curved interior and exterior walls minimise internal standing waves and eliminate external diffractions.

Four massive aluminium billets are meticulously machined to produce a continuously curved exterior with no angles. A thick-machined aluminium inner baffle supports the drivers, while ten aluminium tension rods extend front to back to further stiffen the enclosure and eliminate the possibility of hardware loosening over time.

The new M6 enclosure is completely sealed and, in its finished form, has nearly zero diffractions which allow sound waves propagated by the transducers to disperse naturally without obstruction. This creates a sound-field that replicates that of the recording space and allows the speaker to completely vanish in its environment.

A slight curvature in the machined front baffle enhances the seamless integration of all five drivers and provides an elegant appearance overall. The newly designed 3-point MPOD base provides a perfect coupling platform to the floor and supports the M6 as though it were floating in space.

A new reverse horn-shaped sub-enclosure made of proprietary carbon fibre composite houses the midrange driver and provides an extremely stiff, yet ideally damped, chamber that disperses internal standing waves without the need for copious internal damping materials.

TWEETER

The new M6 also incorporates a more efficient version of the revolutionary tweeter found in the M-Project. A 28mm diamond-coated beryllium diaphragm with optimized geometry, created using state-of-the-art Finite Element Analysis modeling tools, brings the M6's high-frequency reproduction one step closer to perfection. This was achieved by skillfully leveraging beryllium's physical properties, making the tweeter closer to the theoretical ideal without gaining the extra weight normally associated with diamond's specific gravity. This technology allowed Magico to increase the dome diameter to 28mm, improving many aspects of performance and allowing even greater power handling. Combined with a new motor system and new acoustically improved back chamber, the new M6 tweeter has the lowest distortion measurements of any high-frequency transducer.

MIDRANGE

The M6’s new 6” midrange driver features Magico’s superior Graphene-based cone material which is 30% lighter and 300% stiffer than that of its predecessors. This driver utilizes an underhung neodymium-based motor system that leverages an extra-large magnet and a top-stabilizing magnet to ensure a perfectly stabilized magnetic field of 1.7 Tesla in a 15mm air gap, culminating in a pure vented titanium voice coil. The latest 3D laser scanning techniques were used to allow for unparalleled precision in assembly, ensuring optimal behavior in each driver's frequency range while reducing non-pistonic motion and minimizing distortion components. The midrange driver has +/-6mm of stabilized excursion capability at very high sensitivity, enabling 120dB (at one meter) of distortion-free playback in the midrange frequencies.

BASS

Deep, powerful, and accurate bass frequencies result from three newly designed 10.5-inch Magico bass drivers that are produced with advanced manufacturing techniques using a new multi-wall carbon, Nanographene cone. Like the Q7 before it, a colossal effort was made to minimize eddy currents in the iron parts of the underhung motor system of the M6 bass drivers. Eddy currents are created by the voice coil movement and produce chaotic magnetic fields which work against the fixed magnetic field and thus create distortions. The best way to reduce these currents is to saturate the iron as much as possible. When the iron around the coil is totally saturated no induced flux can develop, i.e., no eddy currents. In order to do that a lot of design work, precision machining of the parts, and a huge radical neodymium SD magnet system is required. The results are near 90% saturated iron (industry standard is less than 20%). These are breakthrough characteristics that enable the voice coil to move without any electromagnetic obstructions (the inductance of the woofer is measured at 0.085mH). This powerful magnet structure controls a 5-inch pure titanium voice coil that has 1 inch of linear excursion and produces clean, undistorted sound pressure levels up to 120dB @ 50Hz/1-meter.

All five drivers in the M6 are acoustically integrated using Magico’s exclusive Elliptical Symmetry Crossover topology that utilizes state-of-the-art components from Mundorf of Germany. The dividing network maximizes frequency bandwidth while preserving phase linearity and minimizing intermodulation distortion. Individual driver performance, and the loudspeaker in its final form, are tested and optimized for acoustical, mechanical, electromagnetic, and thermal behaviors using the latest state-of-the-art Finite Element Analysis simulation testing equipment.

SPECIFICATIONS

Tweeter: 1.10" Diamond-Coated Beryllium Dome (x1)

Midrange: 6” XG Nanographene Cone (x1)

Bass: 10.5” XG Nanographene Cone (x3)

Sensitivity: 91dB

Impedance: 4 ohms

Frequency Response: 22Hz - 50 kHz

Minimum Recommended power: 30 Watts

Dimensions: 143 cm x 66 cm x 51/38cm

Weight: 177Kg each

Edited by aasza
  • Like 5

Guest Karl Rand
5 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Who would buy a Wilson over a Magico? Even my 2W SE UL amp would drive these. 

Hooray! The enclosures of all previous Magico models really had me puzzled being so boxy . I could never  get over the suspicion mounting the tweeter and mid drivers on so large a flat surface was having a detrimental effect.  Now to find out how low the impedence really goes and if it will give my Gumut amps a pink fit. 

Guest Karl Rand
19 minutes ago, Steam said:

Great.......the resale value of Q7's just plummeted.  Maybe now I can afford some....... 

:unsure:

Ok.  Maybe not.  

This may come across as sacrilegious but if Q7's value does by some miracle plummet and you can afford a pair simply surround the mids and tweeters with Yamaha piano felt. Looks like s**t but improves imaging out of sight. 

Edited by Karl Rand

20 minutes ago, Steam said:

Great.......the resale value of Q7's just plummeted.  Maybe now I can afford some....... 

:unsure:

Ok.  Maybe not.  

$90,000US for a pair of Q7 MKII ... Bargain thinkkrjmw.gif

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-magico-q7-mk-ii-latest-trades-ok-worldwide-shipping-2017-04-26-speakers-33920-alva-fl

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keith_W said:

What a gorgeous speaker! But comparing it to the F-35 may not be such a good marketing move :)

Great looking speaker but F-35 reference is a bit silly. The F-35 has a lot of controversy surrounding it and may yet prove to be the biggest white elephant ever in military expenditure history. Stealth is proven but in every other aspect falls well below satisfactory - speed, range, manourvelabity, payload, radar etc.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2017 at 7:46 PM, aasza said:

Here She Is.... She is both sexy and exxy (Rumoured US$172,000/pair)

Not rumored. It was mentioned in the official Magico press release that it is $172k USD per pair. Local pricing hasn't been announced because distributor pricing hasn't been released by Magico. But I'll start a rumor that it will be close to $250k AUD.

I'd be surprised if this is a replacement for Q7Mk2, which will still be Magico top dog (not including Ultimate). My guess it will be a replacement for Q5, which will be discontinued like Q3 was when M3 was released, and there will be an M7 statement speaker to come. Also an M1 to replace Q1, but the rumor there is it will be a floor stander like S1 and not a mini monitor on a stand.

7 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

Wilson Sophia v3, which I replaced with Magico S3, which are now sitting in my garage in anticipation of Q3 arriving early next week, which is my upgrade path to M3. And then I'm done with all upgrades.

Very Nice!

What differences did you notice going from the Wilsons to the Magicos?

Why the Q3, and not the S5 Mk2?

Guest Karl Rand
23 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

Wilson Sophia v3, which I replaced with Magico S3, which are now sitting in my garage in anticipation of Q3 arriving early next week, which is my upgrade path to M3. And then I'm done with all upgrades.

That's what they all say.

12 hours ago, dcathro said:

Very Nice!

What differences did you notice going from the Wilsons to the Magicos?

Why the Q3, and not the S5 Mk2?

Sophia has a wonderful mid-range characteristic that reveals the human voice in all its harmonic richness which the S3Mk1 doesn't quite match. However the Magico has a much better integration of all the transducers that produce a more pleasing soundscape. Magico use sealed enclosures whereas Wilson use ported. This makes the Magico a much easy speaker to position in the room. For this reason the Magico is a better choice for dual use home theater / 2ch music because they can exist in the room wider apart, and close to the side walls, which is necessary to keep them from obstructing the view of the screen. The width of the soundscape is preserved whilst also maintaining excellent depth. The Wilson need to be much further off the front wall, and closer together, for proper integration and imaging, making them more difficult to position properly in a space-challenged dual purpose room. Overall, whilst I did like the Wilson sound, the Magico is the more convincing speaker, and I like it very much.

Regarding your other question. Buying new speakers and selling them within a year, immediately after the manufacturer puts out an upgraded version, becomes a very expensive hobby. The S3Mk1 cost me almost $1,000/month on depreciation alone. The Wilson didn't cost me anything to own because when I sold them they were still a current model speaker, and I sold them for what I paid for them when new. S5Mk2 would expose me to another expensive depreciation cycle, putting M3 further away out on the upgrade horizon. I did discuss my upgrade path with Magico. The recommendation was the Q-series was a more refined product (Q3 is more than double the price of S3), so I decided to go with the recently discontinued Q3 instead of a new S-series speaker.

M3 is financially challenging for me, the Q3 was affordable and is a step up in performance over S3. So, until I can afford to hand over the cash for M3, I've treated myself to an upgrade in the Q3 and will remain focused on a responsible path towards M3. I don't regret owning S3Mk1, when I bought them the plan was to keep them for many years. But then Magico did the M3 and I just have to have them.

Edited by WhakPak
  • Like 2

No. There are none in Australia. Owners of Magico S- & Q- series speakers in the U.S. who have upgraded to M3 are all reporting on the forums that they are very happy with M3. That's good enough for me to buy sight unseen.

Edited by WhakPak

Guest Karl Rand

Rumour has it one pair were purchased in HK and imported to WA. This came from the dealers mouth (Radar if I remember correctly) who very correctly didn't name the owner. Mind you he could have been pulling someone's leg. 

Edited by Karl Rand

As I've said elsewhere, it is overwhelmingly obvious the Hong Kong market gets supply priority at Magico than does our market here. HK was allocated 7 pairs of limited production M-Pro, we got only 1. The distributor in Australia has more Magico orders than can be supplied ex stock USA, and the wait for new speakers is several months. So, it doesn't come as a surprise to me that if somebody here wants M3 they might have to buy them out of Hong Kong. The owner would have to take delivery in Hong Kong as Radar aren't permitted to sell outside their distributorship foot print. I know the guys at Radar and they would have played this deal straight, if the rumor is true.

Whilst I might buy Magico in Hong Kong, which I can legitimately do as I'm a resident of China, the Australian dealer gets my order because they look after their customers exceptionally well (as do Radar), and I'm happy to wait for as long as it takes.

Edited by WhakPak
  • Like 4

When do you get the Q3

8 hours ago, WhakPak said:

Sophia has a wonderful mid-range characteristic that reveals the human voice in all its harmonic richness which the S3Mk1 doesn't quite match. However the Magico has a much better integration of all the transducers that produce a more pleasing soundscape. Magico use sealed enclosures whereas Wilson use ported. This makes the Magico a much easy speaker to position in the room. For this reason the Magico is a better choice for dual use home theater / 2ch music because they can exist in the room wider apart, and close to the side walls, which is necessary to keep them from obstructing the view of the screen. The width of the soundscape is preserved whilst also maintaining excellent depth. The Wilson need to be much further off the front wall, and closer together, for proper integration and imaging, making them more difficult to position properly in a space-challenged dual purpose room. Overall, whilst I did like the Wilson sound, the Magico is the more convincing speaker, and I like it very much.

Regarding your other question. Buying new speakers and selling them within a year, immediately after the manufacturer puts out an upgraded version, becomes a very expensive hobby. The S3Mk1 cost me almost $1,000/month on depreciation alone. The Wilson didn't cost me anything to own because when I sold them they were still a current model speaker, and I sold them for what I paid for them when new. S5Mk2 would expose me to another expensive depreciation cycle, putting M3 further away out on the upgrade horizon. I did discuss my upgrade path with Magico. The recommendation was the Q-series was a more refined product (Q3 is more than double the price of S3), so I decided to go with the recently discontinued Q3 instead of a new S-series speaker.

M3 is financially challenging for me, the Q3 was affordable and is a step up in performance over S3. So, until I can afford to hand over the cash for M3, I've treated myself to an upgrade in the Q3 and will remain focused on a responsible path towards M3. I don't regret owning S3Mk1, when I bought them the plan was to keep them for many years. But then Magico did the M3 and I just have to have them.

Thanks for sharing that.

I understand the whole new/second hand thing. Keeping at the top of the wave can be very expensive.

I only questioned the Q3, because I have heard that a number of people prefer the S series to the Q.

When do you receive the Q3s?

Hopefully in about a week. The problem will be, as before, they get delivered at my front door, but to get them inside might take another 2 weeks. They are not man unit portable and I'm dependent on the generosity of others to spare their time to help me manouvre them to where they need to end up.

Guest guru

How does the gst reclaim work at the airport if the goods are staying in the country and you are not re-exporting them?