My Sincere Apologies to Bluesound

Guest Sime

Guest Sime

Ok, massive amount of egg on my face now. For the longest time I've been HATING on the DACs inside the Node2, especially with MQA, when comparing them to my 2qute. 

Well today while I was putting some XLR'S onto my Oppo 205, I was doing some A|B'ing and stuff, was going through the settings on my 8801 and I noticed that my Node and the Oppo inputs were running with Audyssey processing when my 2qute was running through the EQ. And there's a big difference between the two, BIG. 

So, I set them all back to EQ, and bingo, I can now actually enjoy Tidal masters and the Oppo is sounding better than when I first tested it last night. 

So yeah, my A|B'ing was flawed, but even still, the 2qute inches over them, but it's a tighter race now, so sorry Bluesound, and anyone here that I unintentionally miss lead. 

At at least the mistake turned out as an improvement. 

Yeh, that is the big reason I believe AVR's etc get such a bad rep for 2ch. It's far to easy to screw up the settings.

Of course their not as good as high quality 2 ch gear but with the top end AV gear set up correctly there is not as much in it as the forums suggest.

My2c

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new family member's :thumb:

• Like 1

Guest Sime

@todagt I don't know why it never dawned on me to check the Audyssey settings on those 2 channels. I guess that they are Aux 1 and 2 that I just plugged their analog outputs to and thought nothing of it. 

57 minutes ago, todagt said:

Of course their not as good as high quality 2 ch gear but with the top end AV gear set up correctly there is not as much in it as the forums suggest.

I dunno, my really what is an entry level integrated the Creek Evo 2 is so much better than my top of the line Integra 80.3 pre, makes me wonder how great a top end integrated would be like.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sime said:

Don't forget, my issue was user error, no need to put down pre/pro's

Not putting them down, I had plenty guys on here telling me that an integrated or 2 channel pre would be better than an av pre. I was told there would always be some sort of compromise or processing going in the AV pre, of course I didn't listen and just pumped more money into it, then I took a big risk sold the big AV gear got a small 75 watt integrated and was the best thing I have ever done.

Edited by powerav
  • Like 2

I must admit I was questioning my own ears after you saying the dac was rubbish as I have heard it at hifi stores with some very expensive gear and it sounded great to me, I also put off purchasing one for this reason but glad I did as I got the Aries Mini and that is awesome.:thumb:

Edited by powerav
  • Like 1

On 13/05/2017 at 5:24 PM, powerav said:

Not putting them down, I had plenty guys on here telling me that an integrated or 2 channel pre would be better than an av pre. I was told there would always be some sort of compromise or processing going in the AV pre, of course I didn't listen and just pumped more money into it, then I took a big risk sold the big AV gear got a small 75 watt integrated and was the best thing I have ever done.

4 hours ago, Sime said:

@powerav I know, I feel bad about it now :wacko:

Shame on you both....... now go buy a turntable !!! :P 

• Like 2

Guest thathifiguy
On 5/13/2017 at 3:01 PM, Sime said:

Ok, massive amount of egg on my face now. For the longest time I've been HATING on the DACs inside the Node2, especially with MQA, when comparing them to my 2qute. 

Well today while I was putting some XLR'S onto my Oppo 205, I was doing some A|B'ing and stuff, was going through the settings on my 8801 and I noticed that my Node and the Oppo inputs were running with Audyssey processing when my 2qute was running through the EQ. And there's a big difference between the two, BIG. 

So, I set them all back to EQ, and bingo, I can now actually enjoy Tidal masters and the Oppo is sounding better than when I first tested it last night. 

So yeah, my A|B'ing was flawed, but even still, the 2qute inches over them, but it's a tighter race now, so sorry Bluesound, and anyone here that I unintentionally miss lead. 

At at least the mistake turned out as an improvement. 

Have to admit, I was always very surprised at how bad you found it having always thought quite highly of it myself, especially for the rather low outlay.

Glad to hear you got to the root of the problem though!