Kind Of Blue horrible

Avoid this pressing:

DOL725H 180g

Bought recently from an Aussie retailer. Pressing is clean but the mastering is appalling. Poor digital effort. Distortion on peaks, drums utterly obscured on 'All Blues', a definite unrealness about all the instruments and a general veil draped over the whole presentation.

I didn't expect it to match the MFSL 2x45rpm, I was happy to settle for a bit less SQ to have a copy I could wear out instead but this just pales so far below, it's going in the bin.

I've since discovered another Aussie retailer seems to have the MFSL package for just $99, I think I'll just go for that and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've never researched them enough to know what DOL stands for but I've always expected the D stands for Digital and the L for Lousy cos yeah, I've bought two and they're worse than shite and I know a few other guys that have done the same and found the same. 

Out of Europe. Seem to do mostly public domain stuff, often the big titles and they sound like a cassette recording of a cd... Pressed rather cleanly and noislessly ironically. They sell in the Warehouse over here. Around the $20 mark.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LuzArt said:

Well, lesson learnt then. And it's a disgrace that Discrepency Records are selling this swill

When I was in Spain Jan, went to FNAC, their racks were filled with products by DOL, DOXY, JAZZWAX, JAZZTIME etc. The sleeves were quite impressive and low prices. I almost bought a K.O.B. "limited edition ".

Have seen these labels in many shops here too, unfortunately! 

14 hours ago, LuzArt said:

Well, lesson learnt then. And it's a disgrace that Discrepency Records are selling this swill.

@LuzArt

http://www.discrepancy-records.com.au/ prices are high but the in my few experiences with them the customer service is prompt and excellent. I only buy from them as a last resort if I cannot find the record anywhere else. They also sell on eBay and sometimes the eBay price is cheaper than at their online store.

Return it and get a credit to spend on something else. Return postage is free.

When you advise them of the problem they email a mailing label for you to print to put on the package to return it at no cost to you.

I got a record which was a bit warped. Returned it at no cost and they sent me a replacement which was also warped. (most likely a bad batch)

Returned the replacement at no cost and they sourced 3rd one from a different batch and sent that at no cost and it was OK.

[mention=112413]LuzArt[/mention]
http://www.discrepancy-records.com.au/ prices are high but the in my few experiences with them the customer service is prompt and excellent. I only buy from them as a last resort if I cannot find the record anywhere else. They also sell on eBay and sometimes the eBay price is cheaper than at their online store.

Return it and get a credit to spend on something else. Return postage is free.
When you advise them of the problem they email a mailing label for you to print to put on the package to return it at no cost to you.

I got a record which was a bit warped. Returned it at no cost and they sent me a replacement which was also warped. (most likely a bad batch)
Returned the replacement at no cost and they sourced 3rd one from a different batch and sent that at no cost and it was OK.

Thanks Rockpig. I've had nothing but good experiences with Discrepancy Records before, very good service. Some stuff is exxy but some is well priced. They also offer origin info before purchase too which is great. I know they accept returns but their policy states not if opened. As it's also not physically faulty (ie ironically it's a stunningly clean pressing) I'm not sure the use of a poor mastering qualifies. Maybe it's worth a try? I dunno.

Guest rondine
On 13/05/2017 at 3:22 PM, Reverend Johnny Heathen said:

Ah, DOL... You only make that mistake once. Maybe twice cos they're usually under $20... ;)

On 13/05/2017 at 5:22 PM, Reverend Johnny Heathen said:

I've never researched them enough to know what DOL stands for but I've always expected the D stands for Digital and the L for Lousy cos yeah, I've bought two and they're worse than shite and I know a few other guys that have done the same and found the same. 

Out of Europe. Seem to do mostly public domain stuff, often the big titles and they sound like a cassette recording of a cd... Pressed rather cleanly and noislessly ironically. They sell in the Warehouse over here. Around the $20 mark.

Don't let knowledge get in the way of working it all out.

ron

12 hours ago, LuzArt said:

Thanks Rockpig. I've had nothing but good experiences with Discrepancy Records before, very good service. Some stuff is exxy but some is well priced. They also offer origin info before purchase too which is great. I know they accept returns but their policy states not if opened. As it's also not physically faulty (ie ironically it's a stunningly clean pressing) I'm not sure the use of a poor mastering qualifies. Maybe it's worth a try? I dunno.

No harm in asking. Perhaps they do not realise that pressing is shite and would welcome knowing.

Update: Discrepency have emailed through a return label so I'm pleased I can return it and buy a different release. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LuzArt said:

Yep, I've got it already :) but I'd like a lesser version so I don't wear out the MFSL.

The MOV and Sony Legacy pressings from a couple of years back are very good IMO.

DOL = Damn Orful Lp !

:P

another eu public domain label which sources out of copyright material from mystery sources.

best avoid.

most useful thing you can do is study up on the original labels that the music was released on.

with kob don't waste your money on expensive re-issues.

the best copies are early us pressings, pleniful and affordable.

• Like 1

DOL = Damn Orful Lp !

[emoji14]

another eu public domain label which sources out of copyright material from mystery sources.

best avoid.

most useful thing you can do is study up on the original labels that the music was released on.

with kob don't waste your money on expensive re-issues.

Thanks Michael. Where are original pressings readily available? And they're really that reliable? I'd love an original mono and stereo actually.

4 hours ago, michaelw said:

DOL = Damn Orful Lp !

:P

Don't agree with that. For starters, finding a non trashed early version isn't as easy as you say. 

And the Legacy version is excellent and IMO competes well with aforementioned for SQ.

IMO the MFSL is the best out there. I had mine pre ordered well before release day and it was quite affordable at the time. Only supply and demand have since jacked up the prices.

• Like 1

true, a mint 6-eyes columbia stereo will be expensive (~$200usd) and will sound great but it isn't considered the best sounding kob - that accolade belongs to a the us plain red label from the 70s.

the tough part is finding a really good one, most were average.

the cs-8163 and pc-8163 analogue re-issues from the 70s/80s also sound better than any recent re-issues

the uk/dutch re-issues ( cbs 62066) aren't bad either.

there was a very rare practical hi-fi/nimbus supercut too that sounds very good.

avoid the sony digital re-masters.

prior to the 90s remastering, kob side 1 was released at the wrong speed.

this was corrected in the 3-track to 2-track analogue remixing.

this 2-track has since become the "original" and was used in subsequent re-issues, including the sony legacy 50th anniversary and the mfsl !

the only outsiders to have access to a true original 3-track master was classic records.

the originals may be at the wrong speed and even sound a touch bright but they have a sense of liveliness, space and immediacy that no reissue has.

the mfsl is nicely pressed and presented but sonically no better than mid-pack in the patheon of kob.

you should be able to find a good original online or at a good b+m used record store.