FS: Halcro MC30 3 channel power amp -price reduced

SOLD

Item: Halcro MC30 3 channel power amp
Price: $2200  SOLD
Item Condition: Excellent
Reason for selling: Funding preamp upgrade
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
Extra Info:

This is the 3 channel version of the glowingly reviewed Halcro Logic class D power amp.

The Halcro doesn't use off the shelf modules like other class D amps, but Halco's own proprietary 'Lyrus' Class D designed by the same man (physicist Bruce Candy) who designed the famous ultra High-end Halcro amplifiers. Halco made 2, 3, 5 and 7 channel versions of this amp - all with the same channel modules and power supply, only differing in number of channels fitted.

The build and finish is commensurate with an amplifier that originally sold in Australia for more than $6700.

Magenta Audio has since taken over the Halcro brand and sells the MC30 direct at $3300 (this amp was purchased from Magenta). IMO an amazing, Australian made, high-end bargain at $3.3K.

I doubt there is anything that can directly compete at my selling price.

Rated at 400W/4ohms/channel (Stereophile tested the MC20 it at 290W/8ohms and 540W/4ohms). Tube lover Art Dudley reviewed the 2 channel version in Stereophile and compared it very favorably to his $25,000 more expensive Lamm monoblocks.

The amp runs silently and very cool despite it's prodigious power output.

I'd never listened to a class D amp before the Halcro and I was totally taken by surprise with it's wonderfully involving sound - no grit or SS nasties here. The amp has great clarity and finesse - and can also produce a huge soundstage with precise and dimensional imaging.

NOTE: While it has three independent 400W/4 ohm channel modules, the individual modules can be configured on/off at power up using the bundled Windows software. I used as a 2 channel amp, so I configured the 3rd channel 'off' at power up.

The amp has balanced and unbalanced connections along with trigger input for remote power-up.

In pristine condition - the amp has 88 days of total use (see monitoring software post below, it keeps track!)

Comes with original accessories, manual and very sturdy Halcro double boxing.

Art Dudley's review:

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/406halcro/index.html

Jim Austin's followup comments on sound:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/halcro-logic-mc20-power-amplifier-jim-austin-june-2009

Stereo Mojo review:

http://www.stereomojo.com/HALCRO MC20 POWER AMPLIFIER REVIEW/HALCROMC20POWERAMPLIFIERREVIEW.htm

Pictures:

5916724321add_Halcromc30_1.jpg.52c06f6ea51cf5fbcad977994602fcdf.jpg

5916724385ad2_Halcromc30_2.jpg.4b5852fccd19dc79db7c9b25cd926762.jpg

59167243df1b5_Halcromc30_3.jpg.191d4f5a4cec5be45724781253ebd144.jpg

591672448717e_Halcromc30_4.thumb.jpg.d92da23a0e8b1c20dfbb7e221b4e45f2.jpg

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 2

If anyone is wondering  what happened to the replies in this FS thread - I posted the ad twice when I thought something had prevented it from listing properly.

Eventually they both listed - but now the thread that was being replied to has been deleted.....unfortunate, but so it goes.

Thanks anyway to those Halcro owners who chipped in endorsing the SQ of the amp, appreciated.

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 1

Price now reduced.

Thought I'd post some pics of the Halcro monitor software.

1st image shows the config window. The software finds the amp on your LAN. Clicking on the amp brings up another box where individual channels can be set to either be on or off at power up.

Once set the config is saved in the amp.

Since I was using the amp for 2 channel I turned off one channel - but I set all channels back to active for this pic.

591cf789967bc_Halcromonitor.jpg.6f5ec2e4da8ef99dbcbd41b2f134df2a.jpg

2nd image shows the amp status - comes up on a browser page - shows total run time (powered on), rail voltages and channel status etc.

You can see that the amp has a total run time of 88 days.

591cf78a3a94b_Halcrostats.jpg.e183254d4eab0b0dd58378e8cf93cd02.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome amp. I have the same :) I use it for front pair and central channel.

It's very handy that I can switch off central channel in windows app and get full power only to front speakers when I listen stereo music. GLWS

• Like 1

Thanks for the input @Sbartt

I also found that I could have my AV pre- out connected to the unbalanced inputs and my stereo pre-out connected to the balanced inputs simultaneously - and switch between the two using the bal/unbal toggle switches. Worked perfectly, and very handy since I don't have cinema pass through on my preamp.;)

Happy to demo this amp for any interested buyers - can even compare to the Pass F6 Class A amp.

You might be very surprised at the wonderful detail and musicality of the Halcro - and it maintains it's superb sound and ease at any volume.

Wow, surprised this hasn't been snapped up by anyone. 

This amp was competing with others in the $US5-6K price range.......and beyond.

Reducing to $1750 plus shipping - surely unbeatable SQ+power output+features/flexibility at that price.

You know you want some Halcro hi-end magic.:party