bhobba

Auralic Aries And Clays DAC's

matth   

I suppose the Aries is a very good device, but I think it would be nice to have a comparison to something like a SMS-200.

Matt

Bunno77   
1 hour ago, matth said:

I suppose the Aries is a very good device, but I think it would be nice to have a comparison to something like a SMS-200.

Matt

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30750-auralic-aries-mini-vs-sonore-microrendu-vs-sotm-sms-200-listening-impressions/
There is this but it is mainly about the mini. I think a few reference the full aries. 

todagt   

I have both the Aries mini and the full Aries. Full Aries is quite a step up, more detail etc with less grain.

Edited by todagt

matth   
3 hours ago, todagt said:

I have both the Aries mini and the full Aries. Full Aries is quite a step up, more detail etc with less grain.

According to some german audiophiles the SMS-200 is superior to an Aries femto and SOTM will launch the SMS-200ultra in a few days at Munich High End.

Matt

todagt   

I'd be happy to compare them if I could find a loaner SMS-200

matth   

Maybe the area where the Aries is superior is WiFi capability. 

Auralic recommend WiFi vs wired Ethernet, SOTM vice versa and allow WiFi via USB dongle only.

WiFi is my preference as well. 

I will visit both SOTM and Auralic at Munich High End.

Matt

Jventer   
27 minutes ago, matth said:

Maybe the area where the Aries is superior is WiFi capability. 

Auralic recommend WiFi vs wired Ethernet, SOTM vice versa and allow WiFi via USB dongle only.

WiFi is my preference as well. 

I will visit both SOTM and Auralic at Munich High End.

Matt

Matt

Rendu is via Ethernet which is option 3.

I am following a few threads on a few forums about the various renderers and the specific "chains" people have implemented. I am however more interested in as simple as possible method and preferably via wifi.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts. 

Hi Matt,

that was very interesting especially when we found out what PSU's were used which we all know certainly make a difference to the sound.

The SOtM SMS-200 was definately on my short list but just through a twist of fate (thanks to Bill) I ended up with the Auralic Aries which I am very much enjoying. After ten days the wow factor has not gone so it is definately a keeper. I have a gut feeling the A Aries IMO may be a bit similar sounding to the SMS-200 as it certainly sounds very clean in my system vs my usual server. Bill also purchase a Aries LE so a few days ago I took it to Mike Lenehans & set it up in his system with a brand new pair of ML5's.

The setup took a while due to network issues but I finally sorted it.

Setup;

Auralic Aries LE on a std SMPS plugpack runing Tidal hifi via a wireless connection.

Curious USB cable into  a PS Audio Directstream Junior.

Balanced out into a Halcro Power amp connected to a set of brand new ML5's.

Initially we first listened to the ML5's with a highly modified Oppo UDP-205 runing directly in the Halco power amp.

Sounded very ordinary - checked connections, tried CD & HD as sources, different tracks but the same result.

next; Bill streamed from Tidal via his phone into the bridge setup in the Directstream Junior.

This really bumped up the sound quality but still not goosebump stuff.

Finally we changed over to the A Aries LE runing Tidal hifi.

Holy Smokes! This was a total game changer with a serious step up in sound quality.

We cranked up the levels & started some critical listening with our usual reference tracks. Minute by minute the sound was slowing improving which Mike put down to the brand new ML5's loosening up. Mike who is a very critical judge on sound quality was finally starting to get excited. There was defiantly room for improvement as the A Aries LE was running on the tiny std SMPS plugpack & the balanced pre/power cables weren't Mikes but just something average that was on on hand.

I'm sure Bill & Mike will chime in with their listening impression of the session.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

BioBrian   
2 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Initially we first listened to the ML5's with a highly modified Oppo UDP-205 runing directly in the Halco power amp.

Sounded very ordinary - checked connections, tried CD & HD as sources, different tracks but the same result.

Not highly modified by the courier?

Jventer   
3 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Could we get more info re modded Oppo 205 please?

(For the record - for 2 channel I am not a modded Oppo fan based on serious comparisons on a 105 model.)

We should acknowledge that the PS Audio Jnr RRP looks like $4,695.

matth   

@Gieseler Audio

Hi Clay,

VERY interesting impressions.

Would be nice to know what the Aries does with a Gieseler PS and a Gieseler DAC!

Matt

Edited by matth

scumbag   
On 2017-5-17 at 1:31 AM, matth said:

Thanks, I know this reference. 

Matt

That is the only review / test I've read on the SMS200 that identified is as being in any way bright or non-analogue. I really like mine and I think it compares favourably to some of the other streamers I've heard though admittedly, I haven't heard the full blown Aries in action.

If someone wants to sell me theirs then I can do this (hint, hint). If I don't like it, I'll sell it to Clay :P

Edited by scumbag

scumbag   
On 2017-5-17 at 6:26 AM, matth said:

According to some german audiophiles the SMS-200 is superior to an Aries femto and SOTM will launch the SMS-200ultra in a few days at Munich High End.

Matt

The Femto upgrade is going to be about $900 AUD from what I've read. That would make the unit $1500 in total. I guess, in the scheme of things that means it's still cheaper than a full RRP Aries though. Still hard to cough up that much cash after only having bought an SMS200 a few months ago. Sigh, first world problems init.

I note there is a new Microrendu coming out soon. It's a good thing for consumers this whole competition thing - I think the Microrendu guys got a fright when they read the SMS200 reviews so they started on the new model. Whilst they've been doing that, SOTM started working on the femto uprgrade. It's an ever moving target. If you are in the market for a streamer then it is interesting times. It's just a bit frustrating when you buy a unit only to find out soon after that a newer version or an upgrade has been released........

Mark

scumbag   
On 2017-5-17 at 11:17 AM, todagt said:

I'd be happy to compare them if I could find a loaner SMS-200

Perhaps wait until the Femto version is released? I assume this will become a unit in itself? Perhaps an SMS300? Or maybe SMS200.1?

I have shot an email off to Kamal at Crux to find out when the upgrade boards are expected. Damn, upgrading again....

blybo   
27 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Perhaps wait until the Femto version is released? I assume this will become a unit in itself? Perhaps an SMS300? Or maybe SMS200.1?

I have shot an email off to Kamal at Crux to find out when the upgrade boards are expected. Damn, upgrading again....

or just whack a w4s recovery on your existing sms200 and be done with it?

a lot of these upgrades are purely because the manufacturer has to be seen to be releasing a new and improved product, not because it is substantially better.

Edited by blybo

bhobba   
13 hours ago, Jventer said:

Could we get more info re modded Oppo 205 please?

It was Joe Rasmussen's latest effort.

Don't read too much into it at this stage - it was a first firing up and does a lot more such as video than the other stuff, plus is a  cheaper than things like the DS or Clay's Konveter.

I have one myself, but I use it for HT duties that IMHO it excels at.  Like I said its a bit of a different beast.  It has an upgraded clock that should improve the feeding of the DS I use an Oppo for - but I haven't checked it yet.  Joe says he has been at comparisons where it was better than the DS so I think it deserves more time to judge.

Again a GTG seems more and more whats needed.

Thanks

Bill

bhobba   
16 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

I'm sure Bill & Mike will chime in with their listening impression of the session.

Sure will. 

But getting a bit late now and need to get up early tomorrow to pick up a friend who is having overnight tests in hospital so will leave it for a bit later.

But like Clay Mike 'conned', sorry I mean rationally made the case, to buy the LE from me for his reference system - I have been relegated to the Mini :P:P:P:P

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

powerav   

So just to be clear. For the Aries streamers you don't need a MQA Dac because the Aries version 5 will spit its own version of MQA out, is that right?

Hi Dan,

Bill is the expert on that but yes you have basically got that right AFAIK.

I think Auralic was working with the MQA group towards getting their devices hardware approved when they had a falling out.

Auralic had put quite a bit of effort in the MQA unfolding process so have implemented their own version of it in their products but obviously are not MQA certified. Anyway that is my take on it so please anyone that knows the full gist of it please explain.

scumbag   
17 hours ago, blybo said:

or just whack a w4s recovery on your existing sms200 and be done with it?

a lot of these upgrades are purely because the manufacturer has to be seen to be releasing a new and improved product, not because it is substantially better.

I have my sms200 feeding an ifi iusb3 feeding a yellotec puc2 at the moment. I'm very happy with the sound. It would be interesting to hear how the aries compares to that chain.