Auralic Aries And Clays DAC's

bhobba

Hi Guys

This is a thread to record peoples experience with using the Aries with Clays Dac's.

As mentiomed in the Konverter thread Clay has one in his hot little hands so can post what he thinks.

Just as a teaser here is what he told me:

Aries now streaming tidal thru Konverter Wow sounds bloody amazing!!!

Its up to others and Clay now.

I will be a very interested reader and question asker, especiallly MQA.

Thanks

Bill

While I have been waiting for Clay's Konverter I discovered about 6 months ago that my Yamaha CDHR 1500 cd recorder has a DAC mode so that you can feed it a digital signal and it will act purely as a DAC

if I play a CD on the Yamaha recorder and then stream the same CD through my Aries it does sound better, so no surprise here what Clay is hearing

The Aries has been out for a while now. From what I have read it is quite good for what it does for the normal selling price, so you guys that bought it for $1,000 has gotten a bargain. I am still sitting on the sidelines, just enjoying all the exciting developments in computer audio.

I am specifically interested in products that can be:

• updated via software e.g PS Audio 
  • updated via new modules e.g Konverter Dac.
  • or sell/changeover at not too high cost 

Hi Guys

Read Clay's reply - check it out - nice pictures as well.

Clay - play Joni Mitchell Blue - it is MQA 100% for sure.

If its displaying 192k its doing full MQA decoding - just like they advertise.

However they say the new software version does 384k and you can upsample everything to that.   It may sound better - or not who knows.  It may be implemented in the Beta - again who knows.  MQA is definitely implemented though:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/auralic-new-beta-firmware-5-0-support-in-house-mqa-decoding-web-browser-interface-and-roonready-for-aries-mini/24267

What would up-sampling to 384k do?   Well I got an interesting program:

https://www.xivero.com/xifeo/

Even the best recorded double DSD recording I could get a hold of has nothing above 60k except noise:

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDRE1045-sarah-vaughan-live-at-rosys

192k is all you need - most of the time even 88.2 is enough.  However DAC chips like Clay uses upsamples internally much higher - doing that up-sampling in the Aries may sound better - I am sure Clay will find out.

Clay will also be checking out the supplied power supply compared to his.  The supplied supply costs $649

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/digital/products/auralic-lps-optional-low-noise-power-supply-upgrade-for-aries-le-aries-mini

But I have found nothing that can best Clay's supply - and at a significantly reduced price.

If as I suspect Clay's supply is better you just need to get the LE version and his supply.  Again I will be getting Clays  supply myself if its better and sell the one that came with it.   Trouble is once the word get out Clay's is better I wont get anything like $649 for it - ah well.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

Guest scumbag
2 hours ago, bhobba said:

Likely why the current models are selling at amazing prices right now.

Thanks

Bill

A somewhat more conventional form factor than the current Auralic / LE. Let's hope this time they don't use plastic that doesn't scratch when you breath on it...... :sorry:

2 minutes ago, scumbag said:

A somewhat more conventional form factor than the current Auralic / LE. Let's hope this time they don't use plastic that doesn't scratch when you breath on it...... :sorry:

All companies compromise on various things.  So they didn't have external antennas like the new one they used cheap plastic - its just commercial reality.  I got used  to that sort of things ages ago and just put up with it.

Thanks

Bill

Guest scumbag
Just now, bhobba said:

All companies compromise on various things.  So they didn't have external antennas like the new one they used cheap plastic - its just commercial reality.  I got used  to that sort of things ages ago and just put up with it.

Thanks

Bill

Well there's cost saving and then there's just bad choices. Given that this Auralic was $2400 the plastic would represent a tiny fraction of the total cost of manufacture. And besides, how much extra do you think it would have cost them to injection-mold a cover that at least offers some resistance to scratches, chips and gouges? 

4 hours ago, scumbag said:

Well there's cost saving and then there's just bad choices. Given that this Auralic was $2400 the plastic would represent a tiny fraction of the total cost of manufacture. And besides, how much extra do you think it would have cost them to injection-mold a cover that at least offers some resistance to scratches, chips and gouges? 

Maybe that's why they changed the design  - they now know the choice they made wasn't the best.  It happens all the time.

Get the new one when it's released if it really worries you - but at the moment they are really really cheap so I am not complaining - I doubt the new ones will be as good a value.

And forget the recommended retail price.  Retail often (not always but often) works this way - they overprice an item.  If someone walks in and pays the price - great they make a mint.   If they haggle then there is room to do that, and when they have a run out sale like now they don't loose much money.   Its just commercial reality.   That's why I like to deal with small guys such as Mike Lenehan and Clay - they don't do that.   That why it will not surprise me if Clays power supply at $250.00 clobbers the $649.00 supposedly super duper revolutionary supply it comes with - marketing hype plus retail price marketing strategy is what I suspect.   Who knows though  - it may just be true in this case - we wont know until we try.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

Guest scumbag

At 999, poor plastics would have been a compromise that I solutions have lived with. You did see the state of @gonefishing999 unit though? My point was being made about the new units. And my point is one would hope that they learn from their poor choice of plastics. 

Edited by scumbag
Typo

49 minutes ago, scumbag said:

At 999, poor plastics wouls have been a compromise that I solutions have kived with. You did see the state of @gonefishing999 unit though? My point was being made about the new units. And my point is one would how they learn from their poor choice of plastics. 

What happened to gonfishing IMHO is not acceptable.

They were drastically reduced so you expect things like it being a demo etc - but you must give full disclosure.  If it was scratched or whatever that must be clearly stated.  Its bad form not to.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Well I'm so impressed with this setup & the streaming thing that I have taken the plunge & signed up with Tidal - HIFI version.

I never thought I would take up a on line music subscription service but this is just so good & easy to use that I'm totally hooked.

Picture this.

Sitting in your favourite listening chair, cold beer close by & iPad in hand - search for any album you've ever liked (well almost)  - bingo it pops up 

Hit the play button - wow - sounds so good you keep turning it up until you get complaints from other members of the household.

I guess I'm just lucky my first experience with Tidal ended up sounding so good. I think the combination of the Auralic Aries + Low noise PSU + Konverter all work together extremely well.

Even 44k stuff is blowing me away.

I haven't actually done a real time comparison of my custom PC music server vs the Auralic Aries but from memory the Aries is definitely better.

Now my only problem is convincing bhobba he is not getting the Aries back! 

• Like 2

Guest scumbag
15 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Stop answering your phone and any of his emails. He'll give up eventually.

I have been converted to Tidal long ago.

I hardly use my disk drive full of music since I got it.

Might not use the Vega though - I have a Direct Stream with the Bridge I stream it to.  Audirvana just pips that in sound quality though - so it looks like the Vega is better sonically - but through Roon the word is its another story.   Anyway exactly what will eventuate in time we will see.

A GTG is definitely needed once it all comes to fruition ie version 5 of the Aries software is no longer Beta and the PS Audio guys complete MQA/Tidal integration on the bridge.  It seems the bridge MQA may even be full decoding -  Paul McGowan and his team are working hard on it.  Again time will tell.

This stuff has enormous potential, but its going to take time to fully eventuate.

I have told Clay he can keep mine until he has built the power supply for it and the version 5 software is no longer Beta.  Clay can report on what the go is then.

Since Addicted To Audio is dropping the line maybe someone else up our way will take it up - again only time will tell.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, scumbag said:

Stop answering your phone and any of his emails. He'll give up eventually.

Trouble is I live only about 30-40 mins away from both Clay and Mike - a good cosmetic surgeon may help discuise them though :P:P:P:P:P

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

Guest scumbag
13 minutes ago, bhobba said:

Trouble is I live only about 30-40 mins away from both Clay and Mike - a good cosmetic surgeon may help discuise them though :P:P:P:P:P

Thanks

Bill

It would be worth a try..........

On 10/05/2017 at 8:48 AM, Gieseler Audio said:

Well I'm so impressed with this setup & the streaming thing that I have taken the plunge & signed up with Tidal - HIFI version.

I never thought I would take up a on line music subscription service but this is just so good & easy to use that I'm totally hooked.

Picture this.

Sitting in your favourite listening chair, cold beer close by & iPad in hand - search for any album you've ever liked (well almost)  - bingo it pops up 

Hit the play button - wow - sounds so good you keep turning it up until you get complaints from other members of the household.

I guess I'm just lucky my first experience with Tidal ended up sounding so good. I think the combination of the Auralic Aries + Low noise PSU + Konverter all work together extremely well.

Even 44k stuff is blowing me away.

I haven't actually done a real time comparison of my custom PC music server vs the Auralic Aries but from memory the Aries is definitely better.

Hi Clay, I just got an Aries Mini from A2A for $389 and even that is a massive step up in SQ compared to my Mac running Audirvana 3. I think they still had quite a few units left at that price when I got mine.

Edited by Jonny