Oppo 203 vs 205

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has compared these two players back to back for 2-channel duties.

I had decided I want a better CD player for 2-channel than the Oppo 203 and had been looking at buying a stand alone, preferably hybrid, player.

So before going down that path of a dedicated hybrid player today I decided to compare the 203 with the new 205, all be it this was not a long comparison. Also I compared the two Oppo's with a $2,900 Primare CD player, sorry not sure what model. The speakers were Harbeth HL5's, this was the first time I have heard these speakers and they are quite impressive. I also had a chance to listen to the PMC 25's, they are a very very nice speaker.

Anyway back to the players, I found the 205 straight away to have far greater depth of sound and produced much warmer mids, but still accurate when it comes to the highs, the 203 still sounded good but was very bright and some what hollow sounding in comparison. The 205 won hands down when it came to sq, for my ears anyway.

The Primare was very nice but possibly a bit to bright and digital for my liking and I reckon it would be to bright for our room, which is on the bright side to start off with. 

Please pardon my poor skills when it comes to explaning what I heard but for my ears this is how it sounded to me. Anyway has anyone else had a chance to compare these two Oppo players? I would be very interested to hear what others have found.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

i am not surprised the 205 wiping the floor of the 203, its always been the intent of oppo that the 205 is the one you get if wanting performance over analog just as ws the case of the 103 vs the previous 105. i'm pretty sure ageless goodguy has been posting in the 203 thread with some comparisons with the oppo 105. and the 205 vs 105 shouldnt be continents apart I so perhaps another comparison to look out for feedback on :)

On 5/5/2017 at 4:50 PM, TerryO said:

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has compared these two players back to back for 2-channel duties.

I had decided I want a better CD player for 2-channel than the Oppo 203 and had been looking at buying a stand alone, preferably hybrid, player.

So before going down that path of a dedicated hybrid player today I decided to compare the 203 with the new 205, all be it this was not a long comparison. Also I compared the two Oppo's with a $2,900 Primare CD player, sorry not sure what model. The speakers were Harbeth HL5's, this was the first time I have heard these speakers and they are quite impressive. I also had a chance to listen to the PMC 25's, they are a very very nice speaker.

Anyway back to the players, I found the 205 straight away to have far greater depth of sound and produced much warmer mids, but still accurate when it comes to the highs, the 203 still sounded good but was very bright and some what hollow sounding in comparison. The 205 won hands down when it came to sq, for my ears anyway.

The Primare was very nice but possibly a bit to bright and digital for my liking and I reckon it would be to bright for our room, which is on the bright side to start off with. 

Please pardon my poor skills when it comes to explaning what I heard but for my ears this is how it sounded to me. Anyway has anyone else had a chance to compare these two Oppo players? I would be very interested to hear what others have found.

cheers Terry

I have been using a loan Primare CD32 (which sounds like the one you auditioned) and I think it sounds superb. I am waiting for my CD22 which has been a long time coming. I am interested in the new UDP205 though as it offers playback of other files as well as CD. My main requirement is for a good quality CD player as I have heaps of CDs so the AV side of this player is not of great consequence however if it is a match for the Primare CD32 at the price then I may have to see if I can have a listen to one.

Edited by crisis

Hey@Sime if your planning on connecting ya 205 straight to your mono blocks with the xlr
I recommend you go into the Oppo setup menu and adjust the volume control cause if the 205 is like the 105 the volume will be set to 100 and pressing play might do damage to ya speakers and ears

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I went to a dealer in Adelaide to see if I could have a listen today. I was informed that these players are in such demand he doubted anyone would have one spare to demo. I said I was unlikely to drop 2 large on a piece of equipment without hearing it. He said they had one due in and if I booked I could hear it but only if I intended to buy it. Jesus...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, crisis said:

I went to a dealer in Adelaide to see if I could have a listen today. I was informed that these players are in such demand he doubted anyone would have one spare to demo. I said I was unlikely to drop 2 large on a piece of equipment without hearing it. He said they had one due in and if I booked I could hear it but only if I intended to buy it. Jesus...

Yep. I have had the same thing happen a few times now on various components.

.....................And dealers wonder why people just buy via the internet for the lowest price possible. Good service and demos are vital and I would always support a dealer providing this, but they are shooting themselves in the foot by not providing either one.

I know of only 2 dealers in Adelaide who will demo and or allow a home trial, so I support them. The others offer nothing that you cannot get online

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, rantan said:

Yep. I have had the same thing happen a few times now on various components.

.....................And dealers wonder why people just buy via the internet for the lowest price possible. Good service and demos are vital and I would always support a dealer providing this, but they are shooting themselves in the foot by not providing either one.

I know of only 2 dealers in Adelaide who will demo and or allow a home trial, so I support them. The others offer nothing that you cannot get online

Yes Adelaide is somewhat of a wasteland. I guess they know we don't have much choice. I made a conscious effort to support a local dealer for my latest upgrade and got a good deal so I was happy. Well until there was a bit of miscommunication and a rather bizarre interaction to loan a CD until mine came in. Left a bad taste which shits me because I wanted to support them and will be upgrading my TT at some stage and they carry my preferred TTs. We'll see.

sometimes with these things you have to stand your ground. if enough people ask...it becomes the expectation. it certainly is the expectation here in melb with a few dealers at least and is why id go to them :)

am waiting for next firmware update on the 205. its a still little too fresh for my liking :D but lets see. looking for more owner feedback. so far its mainly 2ch people buying it. i want to see how it goes for 4k uhd given the troubles the 203 was in when i had it. its the 4k uhd aspect thats new wiht these players and still leaves question marks for me on it.

Guest Sime

Well all I can say right now after three days with it, as far as blu-ray playback is concerned, anyone serious about HT should get one.

the picture quality on this thing is extreme. 1080 is so good that I really have no rush to get a 4K tv, not saying that I won't, but the improvement for 1080 alone has made the purchase worthwhile. 

can read here,

its a long post, but there is a bit to cover,

it was basically when boils down to it... a beta machine and i spent a few firmware updates and a 5 weeks or so with it. main issue was just being able to play discs.. it would trip, skip, lock up, freeze, micro stutter and drop out on audio. PQ wise also it isn't upto the panasonics capability for uhd. the oppo only better for DVD. but that all id say is a minor quibbles. you want to be able to play discs with a disc player...

am hoping the more substantial construction of the 205 helps the oppo design and similarly i hope a bit more time with firmware development has removed early issues. you'd think a flagship would be released bug free or pretty well there. lets hope. but as i mentioned i havent seen enough with regards 4k uhd replay. certainly no one giving it a heavy duty work out to report. thats what i want to see, no one disc here or there. 

if when i borrow one... its going to get a work out ! :D i know all the discs the 203 tripped up on (documented most in the 203 thread) and they'll all be going through the player to check ....

Guest Sime

@:) al ok, in that case, if I play UHD discs in mine but it's being down converted to 1080 for my Telly, should I still experience the issues the 203 had with 4K disc's, if that is, the 205 has problems also. Tell me what the worst 4K movie was and I'll go buy it. 

5 minutes ago, Sime said:

@:) al ok, in that case, if I play UHD discs in mine but it's being down converted to 1080 for my Telly, should I still experience the issues the 203 had with 4K disc's, if that is, the 205 has problems also. Tell me what the worst 4K movie was and I'll go buy it. 

if you read my post in the link you will see it is one of the most infuriating aspects as it was completely unpredictable. a disc could play through no issue or one little trip up and then next time around be stuttering sand skipping and what not. good fellows was worst experience where kept locking up the same spot... where the guy gets shot in the bedroom. and kept going back to start of the disc. locking up needing a full reboot at one stage. and then magically it played through the same disc no issue. some say its related to their error correction scheme and transport both of which are home brewed by them and first time they have done something like it. I dont necessarily want you to go buy a disc just because I think it was the worst or something :D  just buy what you want to watch let us know how you go.

its quite possible they have provided individual fixes for discs like good fellows or improved error correction since and also maybe the 205 is less acoustically susceptible given its more substantial construction. i have no idea if you are not watching the 4k aspect will be the same as a small fraction of data will be being pumped through.

Guest Sime

@:) al I think I was on the lines that mines still reading a 4K disc, and the errors you mentioned may have to do with read errors, well before the down conversation process. But I like good Fellas, and I don't mind ;)

Guest Sime

But I've got Sausage Party and the Secret life of pets on 4K, so I'll watch those this week. 

But in the meantime, glorious 1080 bloody hell, it's good. I'm actually now on the fence about buying 4K, do I manned it now.....

Edited by Sime

10 minutes ago, Sime said:

But I've got Sausage Party and the Secret life of pets on 4K, so I'll watch those this week. 

But in the meantime, glorious 1080 bloody hell, it's good. I'm actually now on the fence about buying 4K, do I manned it now.....

secret life of pets is an excellent release on uhd. we enjoyed watching as a movie too. the beauty is the uhd titles come with the blu-ray as well if on the fence.

ps am not sure uhd release really did much for goodfellas. its still quite an old release and am not sure much if anything done to restore or anything., so not one id rush out to buy on uhd. unless just want to watch the movie or something ...

• 1 month later...

Recently got a 203. Probably the best player I have ever had. Coming from a Sony S370 its a revelation. The PQ  with the UHD native, or Blu-ray up-scaled to 4k stuff is mighty impressive. 

When combined with my HDR capable LG OLED 65C6 its bloody fantastic. 

Its also very fast to boot and play.

The AQ is great.

No need for fancy analogue section or the DAC ( HDMI thru ANTHEM with ARC) so quite happy with 203 vs the 205.

• Like 1

On ?5?/?05?/?2017 at 5:20 PM, TerryO said:

cheers Terry

Buy an  OPPO 203..........stick an external DAC in the back.......

Now you have something BETTER than a 205.............easy!!!!!!

• Like 1

I got the UDP-205 for nearly a month now, I am very happy with the sound quality through XLR to Parasound P5/A21 with B&W CM10 speakers. The 4K blurays do freeze some times, I hope it will get fixed in the next firmware update. It now supports Dolby Vision with the recent firmware update

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SunRise74 said:

I got the UDP-205 for nearly a month now, I am very happy with the sound quality through XLR to Parasound P5/A21 with B&W CM10 speakers. The 4K blurays do freeze some times, I hope it will get fixed in the next firmware update. It now supports Dolby Vision with the recent firmware update

pity about the freezing...which uhds ? have you brought to oppo's attention ?