nzlowie

Aussie amps

61 posts in this topic

It makes you wish speaker manufacturers would provide more information about their speakers rather than just sensitivity figures and nominal impedance as it would give you a much better idea of what amp to look for to pair with those speakers and visa versa. I don't understand all of the graphs and tests that John Atkinson does in Stereophile and I know some people take issue with how he does them but often you get a much more in depth knowledge of the workings of the loudspeaker and a much better idea of what amp would suit.

By the way, the Holton Zero-Five-Zero is driving a pair of Legend Kantu 7s and it is having no issues whatsoever with plumbing the sonic depths of music at volumes far higher than I have listened to for a long time so there's nothing wrong with this pairing.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Hergest said:

It makes you wish speaker manufacturers would provide more information about their speakers rather than just sensitivity figures and nominal impedance as it would give you a much better idea of what amp to look for to pair with those speakers and visa versa. I don't understand all of the graphs and tests that John Atkinson does in Stereophile and I know some people take issue with how he does them but often you get a much more in depth knowledge of the workings of the loudspeaker and a much better idea of what amp would suit.

Which is why it is entirely appropriate to ignore reviews and reviewers that fail to publish full technical data along with their reviews. Stereophile, Australian Hi Fi and a handful of other publications are worth reading. 

3 people like this

On 2017-6-10 at 0:23 PM, mwhouston said:

Remember you can onlay draw about 2.4kW from your power point unless you have a 15A outlet. Probaly the amp would deliver about 1200W into 2ohms. 

But with Class D they have extremely low distortion (0.01% typically) until you reach max power. Then they can jump to 10%. You don't want to go there. 

I'm building it dual mono;- 2X 600W transformers, 2X 35A diode bridge, 4X huge capacitors. It should be able to deliver 1200W in 8ohms continuos with little heat.

1200w into 8 ohms is a stupidly oversized domestic power amplifier, great work.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

Don't get too excited it's not built yet. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, 125dBmonster said:

Just to set the records straight that's 1200W into 2ohms and 600W into 8.

Is there a 300-500wpc stereo/dual model version in this 100mm high chassis? 

6 hours ago, CryptiK said:

Is there a 300-500wpc stereo/dual model version in this 100mm high chassis? 

@CryptiK

Yes there is here is a photo of it.

59483dc73cbec_NXL500StereoAmp_2.thumb.jpg.72826e1767b1a20aa60a0b59dbaa5c16.jpg

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Aussieamps said:

@CryptiK

Yes there is here is a photo of it.

59483dc73cbec_NXL500StereoAmp_2.thumb.jpg.72826e1767b1a20aa60a0b59dbaa5c16.jpg

Nice one. How hot does it run and how much ventilation above/beside does it need? 

Is there an EOFY sale on these coming up? ;)

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, CryptiK said:

Nice one. How hot does it run and how much ventilation above/beside does it need? 

Is there an EOFY sale on these coming up? ;)

Hi

@CryptiK

Here is a top side view of the Five-Zero-Zero, each channel has its own 350mm x 100mm heat sink, so runs cool for a high powered amplifier.

Not planning any EOFY sales, selling well with 3 sales of amplifiers already on the board for this month.

If you would like to read a testimonial from a customer who was recently supplied the Five-Zero-Zero amplifier.

Here is the link. https://holtonprecisionaudio.com/blogs/testimonials/holton-five-zero-zero-customer-testimonial

_MG_1192.JPG

2 people like this

Is there an EOFY sale on these coming up?

I'll chime in on this one. Firstly, the amp is 117mm high including the feet; 100mm is for the case only.

In terms of temperature, it feels quite warm in operation, but not hot; you can leave your hand on the heatsinks/chassis as long as you like and it doesn't ever feel ouchey. At a guess I'd say it's about 50deg, give or take. I've got about 60mm clearance above mine (to the shelf rather than the frame, see attached pic), although I suspect you could get away with a little less. I've also got a strong suspicion that there's DC on my mains which, if true, would mean it's running hotter than normal; I've got a DC blocker arriving from Anthony in the next day or so which will confirm this one way or the other, so will keep you posted.

As for an EOFY sale, I think this is so good for the money that it's like it's on sale year-round!!! And in the interests of transparency that's my testimonial Anthony has linked to, and I stand by every word of it. :-)

b70f995f427022e18bc8b11514b75344.jpg

2 people like this

I have bought one of Anthony's amps - a 200 watt version which I am very much looking forward to getting in due course. Thus far I have been a dedicated tube guy so this is going to be very interesting. I have to say it is a delight to be able to talk  to the person who is actually building your amp.

Edited by Rob Castiglione
3 people like this