PC/Laptop important if you have an external DAC?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice here (in laymans terms!). In addition to a vinyl set up I currently stream music via spotify premium on my phone via google chromecast to my integrated amp and speakers. It sounds great but I think it may be limited somewhat in sound quality by going through the chromecast DAC which might not be the best. So I'm looking at buying an external DAC and using a laptop to stream spotify (I will likely give tidal lossless a shot too to see the difference once I'm set up).

My query is that if I use an external DAC will the quality of the laptop have any impact as long as my source files are decent quality? I'm looking at buying a dirt cheap laptop to run spotify/tidal, rather not spend heaps as this will be its sole purpose.

BTW, wasn't sure whether to post this in DACs or computers so went with general.

Any commentary or advice in general appreciated.

At the minute Spotify can't touch Tidal for sound quality.

I purchased my first external Dac not too long back. I then purchased a s/h Macbook so that I could use Audirvana 3 and Tidal (premium). The mac is solely used for my music. Last piece in the puzzle was a s/h Macbook Air which is my remote control.

And I couldn't be happier, apart from the $24 a month I pay for Tidal, opposed to the $11 for Spotify. Have access to some excellent music with a minimum of cd quality sound.

Many ways to skin a cat, many here use dedicated streamers to play their tunes.

Edited by soundfan

A proper dac will help greatly. There are some other streaming devices you can use instead of a pc that will give better performance than a pc connected to the dac.
There are things like auralic aries mini, SOtM SMS 200, Microrendu and then more expensive. This area of audio is changing pretty quickly but there are excellent solutions at reasonable prices now that will do what you need.

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

Guest rmpfyf
42 minutes ago, hifiscot said:

My query is that if I use an external DAC will the quality of the laptop have any impact as long as my source files are decent quality? 

Yes. This is essentially the start of computer audio. You can alleviate this to some degree by buffering and reclocking externally.

Although my setup is a purpose built HTPC with internal DAC (Xonar Essence STX) i did borrow an Arcam IrDAC, which is near on 4x the price of the Xonar. I can't say i noticed a massive difference in sound quality.
That said, id imagine any half decent DAC would put a chromecast to shame, in theory your laptop should just deliver the data to the DAC and the DAC does the rest.
I was recently looking at an Oppo DAC which has a whole bunch of ways you can connect to it, USB, Bluetooth, RCA, Optical etc, so maybe put that on your radar?

While on the topic of Spotify, i believe they are gearing up to release Spotify HiFi, which will in theory offer the same quality as Tidal.

7 hours ago, hifiscot said:

My query is that if I use an external DAC will the quality of the laptop have any impact as long as my source files are decent quality?

Short answer, yes.  Long answer, it gets really complicated.  Everything in the chain will have an impact, even the cables you use - it's just the degree of impact that changes.  Buy a new DAC (grab it 2nd hand in the classifieds if you want to save a motza) and throw it into your system.  If you're still not happy, then you can look at upgrading your source.  

Remember the biggest upgrade you can make in terms of SQ is your speakers.  That has the bonus of improving your vinyl listening too.  I've only heard one (mega expensive) digital rig that sounds as good, or better than a well set up (moderately priced) vinyl rig.  

A new DAC will give you a relatively small improvement.  Better speakers will result in a much bigger improvement.  Think long and hard before you throw money at this. 

• Like 1

All laptops are the same if you get past the hardware specifications, brand, size etc.

The software you're using, drivers, DPC latency in the OS and external DAC has a bigger impact.

Cheers,

Edited by willio747

Hmmm....I knew this had the potential to get complicated pretty quickly!

Thanks for all the comments/advice. I'm really happy with my speakers/vinyl set up so concentrating on getting the digital part set up properly. I'll look at the streamers suggested but think I might start with a 2nd hand DAC to see if that gives any improvement and go from there.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

So if your using Tidal on your MacBookPro and you add a DAC to your stereo. You stream from your macbookpro to the dedicated external DAC?

How much do you have to spend to best the MacBookPro DAC?

Edited by JPete9