Making muy own acoustic panels

On 5/21/2017 at 2:34 AM, almikel said:

hi Matt,

I'm constantly in awe of your motivation to keep building stuff !!...

...so apologies for being picky, but those panels won't provide diffusion - even with the pegboard involved.

cheers

Mike

Opps sorry my bad brain fade

Absorbtion and design targeted to do so

My intention is same as Mike's 

I have a smaller concrete (wall and floor) lounge with some framed treatment  already working so taming  mid range and combing  is on going.

Get the bats and stand/position them up in the room for some listening sessions 

XD75 works in my lounge ok and they are nice as a raw product except until you have to cut one down to size

I think the pair of panels I am building today are Martini 75mm HD, in white.
Coming along fairly well 
Plenty of air driven staples to go
edit and a few internal slats to stiffen up the frame.
Had the pair of bats in the room for a few weeks and they work in my target range for first reflection diffusers well enough to build them into upholstered panels

IMG_1660.thumb.JPG.0d6a45f75c072b14bf482edea330b79a.JPG
IMG_1659.thumb.JPG.643953a051fdcb0dd83df4d3fcfa8a79.JPG
IMG_1578.thumb.JPG.5ecf934133e61a0116a7daf6e4cbc50c.JPG

Sweet... I've just got all my gear today to build the exact sane panels, with martini 75hd, being ordered tomorrow...

What fabric are you using, i still need to purchase fabric.?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Using an upholstery weave with a felt backing, can breath through it but is is heavy.

Aim is to reflect HF and absorb mid range. Have had good success with this method of upholstery covering bats of a few types improving focus of the sound generally wherever placed to effect in a small room

Using an upholstery weave with a felt backing, can breath through it but is is heavy.
Aim is to reflect HF and absorb mid range. Have had good success with this method of upholstery covering bats of a few types improving focus of the sound generally wherever placed to effect in a small room

If I use that that name, will the fabric store know?

If using speaker cloth, will the panel absirb too much HF, that's my current concern?

Going to use on the back walls,

Going to use on the ceiling,

And

Going to use on the front sides as front back behind speakers...

Then the next stage is ill need to make some diffusers for rear sides.

Yes felt backed upholstery, wool or cotton or anything 

I get it at Spotlight https://www.spotlightstores.com/search?q=upholstery+material%3Arelevance

If using speaker cloth which is very light weight and transparent to sound (mostly) would work for higher frequencies and expose the bat to full range (edit without an outer mass loaded layer)

Just experimenting at the moment with these materials which seem measurably effective 

Edited by Guest

Hi Gi,

you seem to ask the same questions over and over again with good answers provided in between which you don't appear to read/accept

50 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Sweet... I've just got all my gear today to build the exact sane panels, with martini 75hd, being ordered tomorrow...

If you make these panels they will not absorb any frequencies much below around 500Hz if placed directly on a wall - I call that too much HF absorption and no LF absorption

16 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

If using speaker cloth, will the panel absirb too much HF, that's my current concern?

Speaker cloth lets all frequencies through - it will depend on where you place the panels as to whether too much HF is absorbed - no LF will be absorbed with these panels if directly on a wall wherever you place them.

22 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Great idea, and will help - but I suggest getting the bass under control first

24 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

I'm not sure what this means?

26 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Then the next stage is ill need to make some diffusers for rear sides.

None of the treatment you've discussed targets bass - but this is where you should start...

Apologies if I sound like a broken record - I'm giving up after this post.

All the rooms I've measured benefit from absorption between 100-300Hz - this is not achieved with thin panels.

@125dBmonster has loads of treatment already managing bass - the panels he's making are icing on the cake - not the start of the process.

Feel free to ignore my advice - it's the interweb after all

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Gi,
you seem to ask the same questions over and over again with good answers provided in between which you don't appear to read/accept

None of the treatment you've discussed targets bass - but this is where you should start...
Apologies if I sound like a broken record - I'm giving up after this post.
All the rooms I've measured benefit from absorption between 100-300Hz - this is not achieved with thin panels.

[mention=149865]125dBmonster[/mention] has loads of treatment already managing bass - the panels he's making are icing on the cake - not the start of the process.

Feel free to ignore my advice - it's the interweb after all

cheers
Mike

All good.

For us novices, sometimes it not clear... we all learn in different ways buddie...

58 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Going to use on the back walls,
And

Try them out with no covering .....  and it is a really bad idea to decide on where you will use them and how many, before you do this.

• Like 1

Try them out with no covering .....  and it is a really bad idea to decide on where you will use them and how many, before you do this.

Cheers . Will do.

Worse case ill build them, then sell em. Haha

11 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

All good.

For us novices, sometimes it not clear... we all learn in different ways buddie...

Cheers Gi,

I get that, and on an interweb forum you get bombarded with different opinions and who knows what is good advice vs bad.

38 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Cheers . Will do.

Worse case ill build them, then sell em. Haha

I'm a lazy DIYer - I hate building something that doesn't do what I want it to do.

I know we're on the interweb, but trust me, building any number of thin panels will do SFA if the bass in your room isn't under control first - you're just mucking around the edges with an elephant in the room.

Do yourself a favour and reach out to some Perth members to run a measurement of your room currently and post the reverb times.

Ask them to give you the MDAT file (assuming they use REW), and get REW yourself (it's free).

I'd be gobsmacked if your room couldn't do with some treatment focussing on <250Hz - deal with this first before building thin panels.

IME people apply treatment because "rooms need treatment", without understanding what treatment is required.

Don't get me wrong - proper treatment is by far the best possible "bang for buck" improvement to the room sound possible - but thin panels won't achieve this, and just chop out treble.

Mike

• Like 1

I just built two frames and fitted Some 25mm 48kg/m3 autex batts i had lying around....put two frames on both side walls, would I be crazy if I said I already notice a difference....

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 9:40 AM, rocky500 said:

Where is the best place to buy the pine timber to make the frames?

Any timber trade shop sells dressed pine or hard wood

Guest Peter the Greek

FWIW, the bull-nose skirting/moulding gives a nice rounded edge to the panels, if you want a softer look

151102%20Back%20wall%20wip_zpsxelyta5e.j

14 hours ago, almikel said:

Do yourself a favour and reach out to some Perth members to run a measurement of your room currently and post the reverb times.

Ask them to give you the MDAT file (assuming they use REW), and get REW yourself (it's free).

Mike

I might be able to lend him a lappy with REW and microphone. Not sure my Mic is behaving at the very top end though.

Here is my MDat I did last night.

Any suggestions on the areas I might target myself?

http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/9Ryu3raw/file.html

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Perth.hifi said:

Hi all.
Ok. Materials received. Got a query with the HD batts. One side is more form, than the order, does it make any difference which side faces the sound?

The firmer surface I might think could reflect a bit more of the very high end frequency's slightly. Maybe. :)

Guest Peter the Greek
8 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

Does any side make a difference?d62f9629b12b824a71dff23093f15c1e.jpg

Assuming you're covering in some sort of fabric, you want the insulation completely level (with a clean cut) with the timber edge. Otherwise you'll see the indent. I've found even minor (2-3mm) variances show through.....depends how particular you are I guess.

Regarding you question - maybe....I doubt it'd be audible 

On 5/22/2017 at 0:49 PM, rocky500 said:

I might be able to lend him a lappy with REW and microphone. Not sure my Mic is behaving at the very top end though.

Here is my MDat I did last night.

Any suggestions on the areas I might target myself?

http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/9Ryu3raw/file.html

link failed

post some jpg's of your reverb times and Decay below 200Hz (RT60 tab and Decay tab in REW)

Edited by almikel

9 minutes ago, almikel said:

link failed

post some jpg's of your reverb times and Decay below 200Hz (RT60 tab and Decay tab in REW)

Just tried your quoted link and it worked with Chrome.

Here but not sure myself with these. Left speaker.

2017-05-25_194640.jpg

2017-05-25_194823.jpg

10 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Just tried your quoted link and it worked with Chrome.

Here but not sure myself with these. Left speaker.

2017-05-25_194640.jpg

2017-05-25_194823.jpg

that looks quite good - freq response is lumpy, but decay/reverb for the room is good - reverb times are very smooth.

You have what appears to be modal peaks just above 70Hz, just below 50Hz, approx 45Hz, and approx 25Hz - you could try some EQ on these - don't try to fix the dip at 65Hz with EQ

I'd take a guess and say you don't have block/brick walls, but possibly a slab floor?

Some broadband absorption targeted at bass frequencies would help smooth 100 - 200Hz - try that before EQ.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1