WITHDRAWN OR RELISTED: FS: Electrocompaniet ECI 5 Integrated Amplifier

Item: Electrocompaniet ECI 5 Integrated Amplifier
Price: 
$2500 including donation to SNA
Item Condition: Excellent, as new
Reason for selling: Moved on to something else
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: An amazing mix of musicality and accuracy, and I've enjoyed the heck out of this amp. Looks a million dollars too.

Comes with remote AND two XLR to RCA adapters that I purchased separately (they're actual Electrocompaniet ones).

Pictures:

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

• Like 2

• The first one is biased much more heavily than the second - especially given that it has half the output devices - its idle power use is 160W vs the mkII's 100W and that can contribute to sweeter sound in otherwise similar designs. The odd thing is that, while they say those extra output devices in the mkII are meant to help with bass control - in reality the mkII has a *higher* output impedance (those extra devices apparently need extra current sharing resistors too and they've been a bit conservative with them by the looks) and so the generally accepted wisdom would be that the mkII would then have _worse_ bass control - go figure. They both are listed as stable down to 2 ohms so what you'd want with extra output devices is anyone's guess! I have often found that it's much easier to get clean sound with good low level detail out of a single pair of output devices than trying to do the same with a bunch of them. When the man from AKSA made the same statement from a technical standpoint it reinforced my self-formed-from-listening-experience opinion. It's very, very hard when you get to the really big amps for them not to sound dark and flat and gritty. Designing those takes very special talent indeed. Electrocompaniet has been making lovely sounding amps much like this for decades - I suspect this one will be a gem.  8)
Edited by treuben
  • Like 1

Thanks treuben

It really is a special amp. I'd wanted an Electrocompaniet since I bought my first HI-FI gear years ago from Tivoli (couldn't afford the electro).

I've since moved into an apartment and doesn't suit the room so time to move it on after sitting under a cloth for 6 months.

Your post had tempted me to set it up again though!

• Like 1

I believe in the retail sector, this is the calm before the EOFY sales & tax return spending sprees.

I think it would have sold in the current timeframe, if it where listed in June / July

It's a beautiful amp, I think electrocompaniet make timeless looking pieces [emoji4]

GLWS

Hmmmm, thought there might be a little more interest.

A lot of interest, just timing. This EC amp is on the "to get one day" list. I just parted with 2.5k on a tt too. Damn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've had a Bryston B135 for a couple of years but that was sitting on the shelf / waiting to go to the office. 

Since moving the acoustics in the new place are quite different and I prefer the Bryston.

• 4 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...