Good Day from Melbourne

mjon

Hello All,

My passion for audio draws me to this site, good to be among like-minded people.

Just recently acquired some vintage meridian gear 568.2mm / 562.2 with dsp 5000, these systems sound way different from other stuffs i hold.

Hope to find some like minded Meridian enthusiasts who could share their experiences and knowledge.

Regards

John

Edited by mjon

Hello All,

My passion for audio draws me to this site, good to be among like-minded people.
Just recently acquired some vintage meridian gear 568.2mm / 562.2 with dsp 5000, these systems sound way different from other stuffs i hold.
Hope to find some like minded Meridian enthusiasts who could share their experiences and knowledge.

Regards
John

Greetings John ,
Some nice Meridian gear there - long term fan of Meridian products and a fair few like minded others on SNA. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mjon said:

Hello All,

Regards

John

Hullo Johnno, life-changing 808.3i ownership here. :D

Vellcomm.

Hi there;

Had a 596 I used as a  cd transport (it also did DVDA)

and I have had a pair of 24/96 DSP5000s for over 12 years now --- these speakers are truly fantastic.

I got a much bigger listening room too and so getting another system :( and will sell the Meridians but not because of quality issues.

BUT as they do sound so good I am having second thoughts and thinking of putting them in to my study but need the furniture modified so I can keep keep them.

The 596 had a power stage failure and it went to another SNA member who could fix it so I hooked in a Cambridge CXC transport.

The other source I used for years was a Logitech duet streamer.

Seriously this gear sounds GREAT so WELL DONE

PS: Not sure who has the software to update them but you can d/L updates from Meridian - need a serial port interface

PSS: the DSPs came with spikes originally and they do need to be off the floor (have a look underneath and you will see the holes)

Edited by Toyboyo

The current set up is my first try through the meridian gear, steadily they seems to take the other systems i own, the speakers are early 18 bit DSP 5000 fed through 568.2 which is an 24 bit processor, not sure extra info is lost, does it have a detrimental effect on the sound?

I have set them on spikes now. 

Also I have been offered an G68J for around $1000, Is it worth the upgrade over the 568.2 in terms of sound quality, the one extra reason i could note is the room correction. 

The speakers have the DACs which feed the individual amps

so if they are not 24/96 they lose the info ie you are feeding the signal to them from the processor and their DACs feed their amps

However the sound of lesser resolution music is not really that different (I will be flamed here!!) - really CD quality is what you will get as it is 16bit 44.1khz 

So your gear will still sound great

Funnily enough a research study I was reading done on "normal" people ..ie not audiohiles or super hearing endowed people found that as a majority they chose lower resolution music as more enjoyable ie MP3 - go figure ! (and yes we can argue about the methodology and interpretation of the results)

so once again: your gear will sound great!!! enjoy it!!!

Edited by Toyboyo