Complete newbie... help please!

This is my new inheritance! Some are like made in the 80s! Omg..e423e1b3b0dd39fb61fd43606fdd2620.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

There are few new release by some famous singer i bought recently, much better sq.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

.......or to begin with, just one of these will do:58fd598a20ace_carbonfibrebrush.jpg.8e0f531afa887117b70e50e241505096.jpg (Don't bother with a 'name' brand at twice to three times the price). For deeper record cleaning, I use Revirginizer, but I'm sure the Spinclean and other RCM's do a good job too.:thumb:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

If you haven't decided on the turntable yet,check out Audio Connection.They have  an Avid Ingenium with a techno arm and rega exact cartridge.Avid have been making hi quality turntables for 20 plus years.The techno arm is a modified rega 250. Their Price is $2000.00. This is a used unit but all of the parts are current products,the Avid retails new for about $2500.00,the techno arn around $2000, Rega Exact $440, so at their asking price this is good buying,

• Like 1

I am also new in this field. was advised to pick rp6 with exact cartridge here second hand at snr.(ssp $1990$ ?) it is very nice. and I think rega 3 will be similar to rp6. also it's easy to set up with less tools. I like rp6's sound, smooth with good details.

I also created a short video on YouTube. have a look if you are interested. :)

On 4/23/2017 at 9:02 AM, seymour said:

Yes you are totally wrong.

I started in 1961 (12 years old) and have had turntables ever since.

Order of importance is 

Turntable

Tonearm 

Phono Preamp and Cartridge

What price you allocate to each item can vary.

The turntable is the base.It has to run at perfect speed with no bearing wobble and be acoustically stable,the engineering costs.

Tonearm and cartridge have to be compatible

And more important the cartridge has to match the rest of your system.

I come from an era when  a dealer would  lend you 6 cartridges so you go home and test them in your system,spent may weeks doing this and the most expensive one did not always tun out to be the best fit.

Martin has been around for a long time and knows his stuff so he has probably got it right for himself. 

I have owned micro seiki  rega.thorens,logic,linn,luxman and currently an Alphason Sonata 

Totally agree here.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:52 AM, stevoz said:

.......or to begin with, just one of these will do:58fd598a20ace_carbonfibrebrush.jpg.8e0f531afa887117b70e50e241505096.jpg (Don't bother with a 'name' brand at twice to three times the price). For deeper record cleaning, I use Revirginizer, but I'm sure the Spinclean and other RCM's do a good job too.:thumb:

If you're happy with a non branded then good for you. If you ever get the chance though try an Audioquest brush. I've been through a fair amount of brushes over the years and could never see how one carbon fibre brush could be different from another as they all look exactly the same which makes you think they come out of the same factory. However, the cheaper ones I've found to be all over the shop, some bristles are silly stiff that almost get forced out of your fingers when you brush the record, others are so soft that they just flop about on the top of the grooves and never get down into the depths. Some lose bristles and cover a record with crap. The Audioquest ones are perfect. Better made with the bristles at just the right stiffness to work down into the grooves but not too stiff to make using it a pain and I found I got years more out of an Audioquest than any of the unbranded ones so there really wasn't any savings.

After having a Rega Planar3 with RB300 arm for many decades upgraded to a new Rega r3 with RB330 arm. If you shop ariund you can get them for under $1K. Expect to get 30 years of trouble free use with no service required. Crazy excellent value from a truely great TT. 

Ortofon carts are again good value for money. Pay about a grand (after decent haggling) and you'll have a cart to match the Rega.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The cleaner you can get your vinyl the less you will need this. Yes a stylus brush should be part of your routine, there is also the Onzo gel. I wet vacuum all my vinyl and store them in new inners and outers this process is an investment in itself but will give you back more than you put in. Add to that washing your hands before every listening session, a carbon brush over the record before each play.
It's about the routine and process there is a reason pristine old vinyl is so expensive as you don't get a second chance with it. I'm absolutely committed to serving my cartridge with the best medium i can deliver to it. Then we are into labels, releases and so on. People comment that its amazing it sounds so good but it can take alot of thought, process and application to get it right, the great thing is that during that journey vinyl still sounds very good. Enjoy the ride but learn to look after the medium and player.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 24 April 2017 at 9:14 AM, tntman said:

So I had a look at some of the discs and because there are quite old.. What's the best way of cleaning them? Do you consider this as a good sample?

2aa3f6739d7345746024642621ac690d.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

All points above offer very good advice 

However In the first instance you can get a "brand new" 350 GSM microfiber cloth 

Rince it with water and then squeeze it as dry as possible 

Fold it to fit your hand 

Add some metho or window cleaner on the leading edge you plan to use on the record surface 

Cleaning method

Press the cloth on the record while spinning manually with the other hand 

TAKE care not to wet the Label

In most cases this method will do a great job until you can sort out a mechanical cleaning devise 

However In the first instance you can get a "brand new" 350 GSM microfiber cloth 

Don't use those! They are synthetic and scratch the record.

Don't believe me? Put the microfiber cloth around your finger and rub hard in the matrix then look at all the scratches!

Just some friendly advice.
  • Like 1

On 27/04/2017 at 8:16 AM, Hergest said:

If you're happy with a non branded then good for you. If you ever get the chance though try an Audioquest brush. I've been through a fair amount of brushes over the years and could never see how one carbon fibre brush could be different from another as they all look exactly the same which makes you think they come out of the same factory. However, the cheaper ones I've found to be all over the shop, some bristles are silly stiff that almost get forced out of your fingers when you brush the record, others are so soft that they just flop about on the top of the grooves and never get down into the depths. Some lose bristles and cover a record with crap. The Audioquest ones are perfect. Better made with the bristles at just the right stiffness to work down into the grooves but not too stiff to make using it a pain and I found I got years more out of an Audioquest than any of the unbranded ones so there really wasn't any savings.

On 27/04/2017 at 8:56 AM, Peter-C said:

According to Michael Fremer you need the new type Audioquest brush.
Same price, does a better job.
http://www.audioquest.com/audio-enhancements/anti-static-record-brush

911713fbca5b41f96ecad11c0340f54c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have seen those and I like the look of them:). They actually have some viable thinking behind their design with the finger contacts to help with static uptake. Looks to be a fine brush.:thumb:

Edited by stevoz

1 hour ago, eltech said:

Don't use those! They are synthetic and scratch the record.

Don't believe me? Put the microfiber cloth around your finger and rub hard in the matrix then look at all the scratches!

Just some friendly advice.

That may be so when the cloth is dry and rubbing hard 

Used wet and the 350 GSM thickness is softer - and how hard are you going to rub a record ?

Needless to say I have many years experience and I use them in my work daily