Gary444

Suggestions where to find replacement B&W DM580 speaker fuses

Gary444   

Hi guys,

I'm trying to find replacement fuses for my set of old DM580 B&W speakers. 

I tried Jaycar electronics (i gave them the B&W recommended spec 2A - 250V) but the ones they supplied were too long and narrow for the speaker housing.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Gary

Edited by Gary444

Can you read the numbers on the original fuses? Most fuses in Euro products are M205 style. IE: 20mm long and 5mm diameter. Alternatively, they could be 3AG style fuses (US). These are 0.25" diameter X 1.25" long (6.3mm X 32mm). There are other sizes, but they are much rarer in audio equipment. Measure the sizes of the original fuses and read any numbers that may be printed on them and get back to us. 

Wimbo   

They are 20x5 mm, 2 amp quick blow. So 2 AG.

Ohh, unless your head banging, something else maybe faulty which is taking these out.

Edited by Wimbo

Gary444   

Thanks Trevor and Wimbo for your advice. Appreciate it.... I don't have the original fuses anymore to read numbers. I have been using them with tin foil in the fuse housing as was advised at a Hifi store this was fine as long as I didn't drive them too hard. (This is probably not advisable long term - hence me trying to get the correct fuses now). The fuses I got from Jaycar are the 2ag quick blow 20mm 5mm. These are too long and the diameter too narrow. From memory they were stubby with very little glass and thicker metal ends.

1 hour ago, Gary444 said:

Thanks Trevor and Wimbo for your advice. Appreciate it.... I don't have the original fuses anymore to read numbers. I have been using them with tin foil in the fuse housing as was advised at a Hifi store this was fine as long as I didn't drive them too hard. (This is probably not advisable long term - hence me trying to get the correct fuses now). The fuses I got from Jaycar are the 2ag quick blow 20mm 5mm. These are too long and the diameter too narrow. From memory they were stubby with very little glass and thicker metal ends.

A 2AG fuse is NOT equivalent to an M205 fuse. 2AG fuses are 15mm X 5mm. 

Wimbo   
1 hour ago, Gary444 said:

This is what they recommended in the service manual Gary.

Gary444   
1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

A 2AG fuse is NOT equivalent to an M205 fuse. 2AG fuses are 15mm X 5mm. 

Hey Wimbo and Trevor,

I hate to admit this, but I will, I have just discovered why the 20mm x 5mm I got from Jaycar wouldn't fit. It took some time but I finally worked out that the ends of the original fuses must be stuck deep inside the housing (it must have broken off) thus not allowing me to insert the 20mmx5mm fuses.

Wimbo, thanks for the original manual .pdf. I have no idea where my original manual is after 30 years. Yes the specified one must be correct.

I now have to find a way to get the broken off piece out of deep inside the housing.....hmmmmm.

Thanks again for your help and interest guys. Have a great one!

Cheers

Gary

Just now, Gary444 said:

Hey Wimbo and Trevor,

I hate to admit this, but I will, I have just discovered why the 20mm x 5mm I got from Jaycar wouldn't fit. It took some time but I finally worked out that the ends of the original fuses must be stuck deep inside the housing (it must have broken off) thus not allowing me to insert the 20mmx5mm fuses.

Wimbo, thanks for the original manual .pdf. I have no idea where my original manual is after 30 years. Yes the specified one must be correct.

I now have to find a way to get the broken off piece out of deep inside the housing.....hmmmmm.

Thanks again for your help and interest guys. Have a great one!

Cheers

Gary

Ah ha! Yes, a not uncommon occurrence. A pair of needle-nose pliers might work. Sometimes the end of the fuse can get seriously stuck. Sometimes, the entire fuse-holder will need to be replaced. If it is not stuck too tight, then a small screwdriver with a blob of Blu-tac™ might do the trick. 

Gary444   

No luck. Will have to book them in with a speaker technician. Speakerbits in Melbourne is good!