Boofy0z

Replacing speaker drivers

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Real audio amateur here with a question for any experts out there,

I have these speakers

I have 4 brand new drivers coming from France via Whatmough, yes 'THANK YOU' Kee

Question is, I removed the 4 screws holding a driver in and nothing, I could not budge it at all, is there something I am missing.

Thanks in advance all!

I can't speak with any direct knowledge of these speakers bit sometimes they are 'glued' on with a silicon type compound as well..................or they can be just stuck to the paint.

I've used a paint scraper in the past to break a glued on paper gasket on various speakers.

Try letting Mr. Gravity help you to do the work.

Tip them over so that the drivers to face down and tap the box with a rubber mallet to help things along.

When you hear them moving out pray the drivers out with screwdriver.

Be extra super careful anytime you go anywhere near the drivers a screwdriver, knife or anything pointy. It's best to approach the situation as if every tool with a pointy end has a mind of it's own and is determined to damage your drivers.

They will find a way if you let them!

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, robc said:

Be extra super careful anytime you go anywhere near the drivers a screwdriver, knife or anything pointy. It's best to approach the situation as if every tool with a pointy end has a mind of it's own and is determined to damage your drivers.

They will find a way if you let them!

I was going to say that but they are stuffed anyway.............

10 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I was going to say that but they are stuffed anyway.............

True, One is salvageable to keep as a spare since these drivers are super dooper rare.  I just figured pop the screws out it comes but nope.

On one of the real bad ones I was able to stick fingers though gap to pull on the frame itself, no dice.

There is nothing inside at the back or the speaker, like n extra screw or whatever?

Apologies for my complete n00bness at this.

Regards

:)

Edited by Boofy0z

Nah...........just count the holes in the new ones and that should be the number of srews.

Got a link for these babies?

We can have a look,

9 minutes ago, Boofy0z said:

Be careful!............they're out of stock!

Sticking your fingers through.........you may have been pulling on the wood.

It's a quite thick frame on the speaker.

I'm thinking they are just stuck in there through a combination of precision routing and glues in the wood.

Does the back come off?

Very perplexing!

You don't want to damage the face by prising them out.

Try tapping the metal frame of the speaker with a small hammer to see if it loosens.

You could try an oversized screw in the hole which threads into the speaker frame. One you screw it into the metal frame use a claw hammer to lever it out like pulling out a nail. Make sure you put a piece of timber on the speaker front to lever on so you don't damage the timber of your speaker.

This is how John at Aranmar acoustics gets tight fitting drivers out.

Edited by gat474
typo
7 people like this

Try letting Mr. Gravity help you to do the work.

Tip them over so that the drivers to face down and tap the box with a rubber mallet to help things along.

if this doesn't work get some hooks with oversized screw end then screw them into screw holes and pull 

3 hours ago, gat474 said:

You could try an oversized screw in the hole which threads into the speaker frame

That would be the way to do it, if just levering something sharp-ish (like a small flat blade screwdriver) to lift it out doesn't work.

Troels Gravesen somewhere on his massive site recommends "pre-threading" two of the driver holes before installing for just this occasion.

10 hours ago, Boofy0z said:

Hi all,

Real audio amateur here with a question for any experts out there,

I have these speakers

I have 4 brand new drivers coming from France via Whatmough, yes 'THANK YOU' Kee

Question is, I removed the 4 screws holding a driver in and nothing, I could not budge it at all, is there something I am missing.

Thanks in advance all!

Me again!!........

Congrats on scoring new drivers!!

Back when I had 303's a mate borrowed them for a party and blew a driver.

I took the whole speaker to Whatmough and they replaced it so I don't exactly know how.

Why not ask Kee for advice if you are concerned.

I would expect that they should come out once you remove the screws but I guess the snug fit is making things tougher.

I remember having to lean one of my subs right over before I could get the 15' driver out.......weighed a ton and was a PITA.

At least you are dealing with smaller drivers!!!

Good luck and be careful not to ruin that beautiful Bubinga finish.

Once they're safely in I can guarantee you will be very happy so it's well worth it

BTW..........still waiting for my centre speaker pic!!!!!!