FS: (SYD) SANSUI AU-101 RESTORED AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION

Item: SANSUI AU-101 INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
Price: $280
Item Condition: Excellent condition - see extra info and pictures
Reason for selling: Time to let another one of my babies go
Payment Method: prefer Pickup -. but will post at  buyers expense ad risk Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Hi,

Up for sale is one of my AU-101 amps that is in excellent condition, both cosmetically and electrically.

The Amp has undergone an extensive restoration -

-  all electrolytic capacitors (except the main filter cap which tested OK) replaced with mostly Panasonic or Nichicon equivalents.

- all small signal transistors that are a common problem and known to cause pops/crackle sand increased noise floor have been replaced with modern low noise equivalents (2SC2240, BC550).

- This is a late build unit ((May '74) that has bias trim pots, and these have been replaced with quality multiturn trimpots for stability and ease of bias current adjustment.

- A new Power on lamp has been fitted.

- the original speaker terminals (slotted cheese head screw type) have been replaced with binding posts that can accept Banana type terminals, spade terminals or bare wire. This mod is completely reversible in required (no holes drilled or other changes done when fitting the new speaker terminals)

Sonicallly the amp performs very well, with a low noise floor (both Aux/Tuner and Phono), and that typical early 70's capacitor coupled laid back sound that Sansui was famous for. and don't be put of by the rated power output of this amp, it can drive most speakers to moderate listening levels (it drives my Paradigm 11SE floors standers quite well). and it has a nice phono stage as well.

Cosmetically the only issue is a drivers licence that is lightly engraved on the top panel along the righ hand side plate. It is not that noticeable, certain angles show it up if you are looking for it. Check the photos - as you will see that the front faces of the wooden side panels have no chipping or missing laminate - 99% of AU-101's have some laminate missing on one or both sides - it is a rarity to see one without this damage. The unit is very clean inside and out, with no evidence of rust or corrosion that is prevalent in many 101's.

Auditions are welcome (and recommended) for local prospective buyers, and I will ship at buyers expense and risk (the amp will be packed very well - I haven't had an amp shipped by me damaged so far - but I can't guarantee no shipping damage)

Description and Specs (courtesy if HiFiengine)

Description

The Sansui AU-101 incorporates many of the state of the art features of the more powerful AU-555A, including an all silicon solid state design, professional arrangement of controls and a satin black control panel.

Like all other AU series amplifiers, the AU-101's tonal quality has been perfected and proved not only by precision electronic measuring instruments, but also by repeated listening tests in a wide variety of environments.

Specifications

Power output: 15 watts per channel into 8? (stereo)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 60kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.8%

Input sensitivity: 4mV (mic), 3mV (MM), 200mV (DIN), 200mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 65dB (MM), 75dB (line)

Channel separation: 45dB (MM), 45dB (line)

Output: 200mV (line), 30mV (DIN)

Speaker load impedance: 4? to 16?

Semiconductors: 18 x transistors, 4 x diodes

Dimensions: 407 x 115 x 278mm

Weight: 5.9kg

Pictures:

AU101%20finished%204_zpsuo9waya1.jpg

AU101%20finished%201_zpserzy7cww.jpg

AU101%20finished%203_zps8mrl3veo.jpg

AU101%20finished_zpsq8hbmqm9.jpg

AU101%20rear3_zpsppest59g.jpg

AU101%20rear2_zpsta4gebzq.jpg

AU101%20inside_zpsgc55torz.jpg

AU101%20inside%201_zpsu6bh666q.jpg

• Like 5

I've been lucky enough to own one of Johns 101's. 

He does fantastic work and the unit preformed faultlessly 

Purchase with total confidence 

GLWS 

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...