Speakers That Cost More Than A Ferrari

"The $550,000 masterpiece boasts 54 carats of pure diamond diaphragm surface area, a 3 mm thick lacquer coat that requires about 60 hours of polishing time, and only five pairs are produced a year. The highly efficient La Assoluta loudspeakers stand nearly 8 feet tall, and weigh a combined 2,140 pounds." tidal audio.

Right divorcee's send me your diamonds...

Guest Eggcup The Daft

It would be interesting to blind test these beasts against some sub-$50000 jobs and see what happened. Probably lots of comments about how the amps weren't resolving enough...

1 minute ago, WhakPak said:

If I was splashed with cash and money was no object I wouldn't buy any of those speakers in the list, not even the Magico Ultimate. Besides, it takes a year to build a pair of Magico Ultimate from time of order.

I'd buy a $3000 pair of speakers and AN ACTUAL FERRARI ... vroom vroom

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

It would be interesting to blind test these beasts against some sub-$50000 jobs and see what happened. Probably lots of comments about how the amps weren't resolving enough...

It would be quite easy to discern in any test chosen the nature of the speakers given that the first difference would be in the sense of scale in the rendering of the recording. If you ever get a chance to sit in front of any of these big speaker and I don't include the kyrons in that sense of being a big speaker, then you would quickly recognise what I mean. Big speakers can be very intimidating to live with.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
12 hours ago, guru said:

It would be quite easy to discern in any test chosen the nature of the speakers given that the first difference would be in the sense of scale in the rendering of the recording. If you ever get a chance to sit in front of any of these big speaker and I don't include the kyrons in that sense of being a big speaker, then you would quickly recognise what I mean. Big speakers can be very intimidating to live with.

I'd buy that for some big speakers. Some just become a pseudo point source with annoying changes of level of detail as you jump from the second to the third to the fourth speaker in the five way setup (as you can guess, most of the big speakers I've sat in front of are not in this price range).

I'm wondering, though, what of preference? I've yet to hear a line source I like, for example. (not that any of these are...)

Edited by Eggcup The Daft

54 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

I'd buy that for some big speakers. Some just become a pseudo point source with annoying changes of level of detail as you jump from the second to the third to the fourth speaker in the five way setup (as you can guess, most of the big speakers I've sat in front of are not in this price range).

I'm wondering, though, what of preference? I've yet to hear a line source I like, for example. (not that any of these are...)

The gold coloured speakers in the glass enclosures are a line source and I have heard big Wilsons, Tidal's, Infinity's, Gryphon's, Martin Logan's, Marten's  and the all have a certain sense of scale as well as a sense of individual drivers all doing their individual efforts. Sometimes it works when there is an obvious pre existing sense of acoustic environment such as Jazz at the pawnshop for example and can work in a spectacular fashion, other types of recordings fail equally with the 2mtr long guitar and the singer with the 4 ft wide mouth. Book a trip to Munich for the show and see how many BIG speaker systems make it into your top 10. Aside from that, I just like speakers I can move and lift rather than getting 4 Tongans to get them 4 inches to the left.

2 hours ago, guru said:

Aside from that, I just like speakers I can move and lift rather than getting 4 Tongans to get them 4 inches to the left.

Harden up.

Btw have you got those Tongans ph no handy:D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...