Combine HT and stereo system

Hi 

I am currently setting up my 5.2.2 home theater, at the same time, i want to use the 2.0 at the front for my music.

I understand that HT receivers are not the best for music, a dedicated 2.0 amplifier is probably does a much better job. However, i don't want a separate system because i want to keep my marriage.

I was thinking if i could use a HT receiver to stream music while pre-out the front into a 2.0 stereo receiver for music. For HT i just turn on everything.

Is that workable? Or am i stupid? Any opinion?

Robin

hi robin, you just need a 2ch integrated with ht bypass 

and no dont need to separate systems. they can co exist.

while can pre out the avr for music, your best benefit will be to have some 2ch source connected directly to the 2ch integrated so can take advantage of its 2ch pre and power amp.

so 2ch wise you would have avr switched off. for ht everything is on and the 2ch integrated in ht bypass mode  :)

53 minutes ago, xRobinx said:

Thx for your reply al

Can you give me an example of such amp??? It sounds exactly what i want but I don't fully understand.

Robin

sure no problem, see below a couple that have sold recently that have a htbypass input :)

depends on budget but for 2ch integrated you'd be looking at brands such as musical fidelity listed above, cyrus, arcam, krell, rega, parasound, camb ridge audio, rotel are some that make amps with the feature. though be careful not all amps do come with them so something to check and verify 

I have a Rega Elicit (the 2000's version) which I ought to list in the classifieds. Has a dedicated "direct" input which bypasses the pre-amp section and goes straight into the power stage, relay switched via front panel button or remote control. This kind of thing is pretty common on integrateds and even on dedicated pre-amps.

Thx for all the reply. Its really helpful. 

My other question is, so the preout signal comes out of the AVR and feed into the amp bypassing the preamp stage of the amplifier. So who control the volume gain when its HT settings? The preout signal from AVR?

Robin

When the 2 channel unit is in by-pass mode the HT receiver does all the volume control and switching of your HT sources.

When the bypass is turned on all the HT signal goes directly through the integrated as if it were just a piece of wire.

When playing back any 2 channel sources the 2 channel intergrated looks after all the controls for the 2 channel sources as they will be plugged directly into the 2 channel unit.

Clear as mud?:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...