Another 'vinyl sales are up' story

Interesting story, particularly this bit: ' "Vinyl is selling really well. It actually took over CD sales in the last half of last year for us," says Matt Huddy, manager of Sydney's Red Eye Records.'  Australia wide, the gap between CD and vinyl is narrowing. A 70% increase in vinyl sales against an approx. 24% drop in CD sales is impressive!:thumb:

Edited by stevoz

When you compare numbers on dollar values what is an LP going for? 3-6 times the price of a CD? Units shifted is still massively in favour of CD sales but good on the LP.

I am gobsmacked people are spending $135 million on streaming. That is some kinda high price for convenience.

45 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Interesting story, particularly this bit: ' "Vinyl is selling really well. It actually took over CD sales in the last half of last year for us," says Matt Huddy, manager of Sydney's Red Eye Records.'  Australia wide, the gap between CD and vinyl is narrowing. A 70% increase in vinyl sales against an approx. 24% drop in CD sales is impressive!:thumb:

I've been watching the new records at Red Eye since around 1997 going from a couple of racks under the stairs at King Street to taking up close to half the store and being really jammed in tight at their new store opposite the QVB. It's been a really good barometer of sales and now and then I have a chat with Matt if he's not flat out and he will often say that new releases of popular artists on lp now outsell the cd.

• Like 2

I got back into HIFI 6 months ago after being into old Harleys for around 10 years. I just purchased the First four Zepplin albums, The Beatles "Sgt Peppers" , Springsteens "Nebraska" and "The Allman Bros at Filmore East" Plus three "Dingoes" Albums and Springsteens "The Wild,The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle". All stuff, easy available and in Sweet Nick. Also, thanks to a few of the blokes on here.

Vinyl is SOOO available atm. Best in decades.

On 13/04/2017 at 8:09 PM, metal beat said:

There IS magic in them grooves :P

Yes

It can't be beat. I use digital for quick access but always refer back to vinyl for the full spectrum.

Good to hear sales are up but the record fairs are too busy for me these days.