Darren69

Bi wire jumping

41 posts in this topic

@Weka ahh the joys and woes of the engwish language. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well for my ear-balls (and apparently this is rare) hooking the Valhallas up to the tweeters and jumping to the mids/woofers suits my tastes the best an doff memory, I think @onebaldbloke had his wires connected this way as well.

 

Otherwise the mids/highs seem a bit fatiguing when going black to tweeters and red to woofers and just both to woofers takes the musicality out of the equation a bit.

 

IMAG3121.thumb.jpg.71f03ff99e1af597f55835e3d315d1f0.jpg

 

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having tried every bi-wire jumper under the sun (a Trump exaggeration there...I've tried many, including pricey ones) and gone through the whole bi-wire / single-wire comparison rigmarole with multiple speakers (including those 'designed' to be biwired), there's no doubt in my mind that bi-wire jumpers (or bi-wire cables) are not the way to go. Rather, get inside the speakers and link the wiring/terminals by whatever means practical. By far the best solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, goldiver said:

Having tried every bi-wire jumper under the sun (a Trump exaggeration there...I've tried many, including pricey ones) and gone through the whole bi-wire / single-wire comparison rigmarole with multiple speakers (including those 'designed' to be biwired), there's no doubt in my mind that bi-wire jumpers (or bi-wire cables) are not the way to go. Rather, get inside the speakers and link the wiring/terminals by whatever means practical. By far the best solution.

 

Yes, I tend to agree, the connections are a bit wonky at best, especially the two spades together.

 

A quality new quality single pair of terminals and some good soldering would be best.

 

I think someone mentioned that earlier. Maybe in the linked thread.

Edited by Darren69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hundreds (thousands?) of dollars worth of jumper cables to improve the "connection sound" on some cheap $10 speaker terminals... ?

I think you might have lost the plot on this one @Darren69 . Just install a pair of quality WBT or Furutech terminals and common up the separate internal x-over feeds accordingly, and call it a day before you get lost down the rabbit hole.

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@Weka  help!

 

Image result for mining helmet image

 

:)

 

 

 

Edited by Darren69
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/05/2017 at 8:24 PM, Darren69 said:

 

Yes, I tend to agree, the connections are a bit wonky at best, especially the two spades together.

 

A quality new quality single pair of terminals and some good soldering would be best.

 

I think someone mentioned that earlier. Maybe in the linked thread.

 

Hey mate can you not have the banana of the jumpers and the speaker cable spade together and jump down to the bass terminals with the spades.

Like this ( don't mind the colours )

IMG_2123.thumb.JPG.03fb846c05234e4cd1b5914b62086db3.JPG

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pops110  Hullo Davo, I could but Nordost reckon the cables are 'directional' hence the way I have them set up but can def give it a go. The thought did cross my mind but after finishing the plinths, positioning the speakers etc haven't got there yet.

 

No, I don't want the 'directional' argument to start here please. :D

 

Enlarge the picky here-

 

http://www.nordost.com/norse2/bi-wire-jumpers.php

 

Am a fan of the ETI cable pods after using them on the ML1's, they really hang on, so will prolly remove the bi wire capabilities eventually anyhow with two pair of those.

 

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/ETI-Cablepod/ETI+Research+Cable+Pod+Binding+Post

 

 

Edited by Darren69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody directional cables, not good for the OCD are they. ;)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I've read through this thread and my conclusion is conclusive. 

I'm buying some Coopers Best Extra stout today.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, deanB said:

Well, I've read through this thread and my conclusion is conclusive. 

I'm buying some Coopers Best Extra stout today.

 

It makes my system sound fantastic. :D

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cable pods definitely look the goods, not cheap but should be a step up from what's on there already.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2017 at 8:36 AM, Weka said:

Hundreds (thousands?) of dollars worth of jumper cables to improve the "connection sound" on some cheap $10 speaker terminals... ?

I think you might have lost the plot on this one @Darren69 . Just install a pair of quality WBT or Furutech terminals and common up the separate internal x-over feeds accordingly, and call it a day before you get lost down the rabbit hole.

 

 

Amen to that!

 

Daz don't lose sight of what really counts.

if your really trying to squeeze the 10 tenths out of your setup get rid of those biwire terminals if you not biwiring. 

And if you are still get rid of them.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joz said:

 

Amen to that!

 

Daz don't lose sight of what really counts.

if your really trying to squeeze the 10 tenths out of your setup get rid of those biwire terminals if you not biwiring. 

And if you are still get rid of them.

 

Yes, will be taking them out of play, will go for the ETI cable pods methinks, as linked above. Just learning curve # 6,728 and I assume I will continue to learn right to the end.

 

 

I asked  a soldering question here, got no reply to date, any thoughts lads?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darren69 said:

 

I asked  a soldering question here, got no reply to date, any thoughts lads?

 

 

A quality silver solder from reputable brands like WBT, Cardas, Wonder Solder, etc, is as good as it gets.

A compression crimped connection is the best but I don't know of any binding posts that cater for that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weka said:

 

A quality silver solder from reputable brands like WBT, Cardas, Wonder Solder, etc, is as good as it gets.

A compression crimped connection is the best but I don't know of any binding posts that cater for that.

 

 

Ok ta Wek.

 

I have only seen some posts that suggest you use those little electrical push on connectors (again, not sure that would be a quality fitting though I guess a lot of speakers are hooked up that way!), or one that had a little torx screw. Not sure what the ETI's do, will find out soon I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.