Bi wire jumping

Hullo all,

I hope this doesn't turn into an argument but for the first time I now own speakers that can be bi-wired.

My awesome big Morel/Vifa speakers are on their way from che @onebaldbloke any time now. Am thinking I might need the 'makers' contact details after all Bob so I can ask him a few questions, though the manufacturing was 'a few stubbies ago' for him.

The speakers will see me peering into the back of the courier truck and give up on ever being owned by a man with hair.

I love my Valhalla's very much and had to sell a kidney to enjoy ownership so another set would leave me with no kidneys, so does anyone have any good recommendations to make regarding jumper cables?

I have asked Pymble if they can source Valhalla jumpers but no reply to date which can mean many things.

There are these-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NORDOST-Silver-TYR-Speaker-Jumpers-Bi-wire-Banana-Z-plug-cable-Audio-Audiophile-/182526472428?hash=item2a7f6cf0ec:g:B18AAOSwc-tY7SLu

Also, I have read a few ways to configure the SC's and jumpers, I seem to remember @Krispy Audio talking about it once but the images are gone, any thoughts Cam?

Whether to have the mains coming into the tweeters or the woofers is something I'll need to try out for myself I guess, along with any thoughts/suggestions from this thread.

Edited by Darren69

This is the 2015 price list from the Pymble site which suggest they are available.

If price is any indication of knowledge i feel a little out of place commenting here, but that hasn't stopped me before.

I have in the past used inferior cable from an external Xover to the speaker thinking it could make much difference over a short length.  When I upgraded them main just for consistency I was surprised at teh difference it did make.

Maybe an idea would be to see if there is any excess cable inside the speakers, use that as a jumper.  It is already in the circuit and would be keeping it consistent.  Maybe if you can track down the maker they could supply it too.

Bi amping would require an other set of cables which you have already ruled out.

58eefc945e0b5_speakercables.jpg.9260681ab4cec03d81dc7b4adfde8fca.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet Jesus Dan, look at the beer vouchers required there for 13in of bloody flat cable!!!!!

And my kidneys went for second hand Valhallas, I should say. :D

Internal wire- logical thinking, shall chase Bob (current owner) re- the makers contact details.

Bi amping- yes and would still be using the passive crossovers as well.

Hey Daz,

I have always had my speakers wired up as Nordost suggest in the third pic in the link above. Seems to work the best in all of the speakers I've owned.

I noticed a fairly big difference when I swapped out the supplied jumpers on my Tannoy's with some XLO ultra 6 jumpers to match my Ultra 6 SC's.

The XLO speaker cables were just under a grand. I ordered the XLO jumpers without getting a price and nearly fell over when I went to pick them up and they cost just over $300. But I'm happy with them.

I have since picked up some XLO Reference 2 SC's and they sound great with the Ultra jumpers, so will hang on to them I think. 

Cheers Dave.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Daz, are your Valhallas plug, spade or have you stripped them down to bare wire :) ? I have a pr of Cardas spade to spade jumpers that you can try if you have no other options. Also have a pr of Antipodes Audio, plug to plug, jumpers that I have never used if you would like to try them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikey d said:

Hey Daz, are your Valhallas plug, spade or have you stripped them down to bare wire :) ? I have a pr of Cardas spade to spade jumpers that you can try if you have no other options. Also have a pr of Antipodes Audio, plug to plug, jumpers that I have never used if you would like to try them.

Mikey, you're the best mate but I have ordered some Nordost jumpers, currently on their way from OS.

My Valhalla's are spades.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful offer though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Nordost jumpers turned up from Chermany and did nothing for the top end but made the bass much cleaner. Dealing with OS companies is so easy! Full tracking etc, very good.

IMAG3064.thumb.jpg.595ceeeeefd555bb397d13dabcf93d83.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

The Nordost jumpers turned up from Chermany and did nothing for the top end but made the bass much cleaner. Dealing with OS companies is so easy! Full tracking etc, very good.

IMAG3064.thumb.jpg.595ceeeeefd555bb397d13dabcf93d83.jpg

Daz, it looks to me like you have the positive (red wires) on the negative (black) binding posts, or am I just imagining things. I used to put the positive cable on the higher freq post & the Black to the bottom post. Try a few different combos. Those jumpers are brand new I assume, so a couple of hundred hours should help :)

Just had a closer look, Oops, my bad ;)

Edited by mikey d
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mikey d said:

Well? How's it workin' out for ya bro?

I haven't experimented yet mate, been working on getting the plinths underneath them and getting them possies correctly before mucking around with different hook ups.

Was hoping the cones would have showed up last week for under the plinths so I could have finished them on the weekend but they didn't so will have to finish the plinths this week and experiment of a night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rantan said:

Geez Daz. Thanks for sharing:unsure:

That's exactly what the partner said. Spooky.

I have to share. I was raised by Sesame Street.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sime said:

It must be in the air atm, the old fowl bowls :sorry:

Was that meant to be "the old foul bowels" or were you perhaps referring to the missus... :unsure:

• Like 2