FS: Ayre CX-7e MP CD player and Ayre AX-7e Integrated amp

Item: Ayre CX-7e MP CD player and Ayre AX-7e Integrated amp
Price: $4500
Item Condition: As new
Reason for selling: Feel like a change
Payment Method: Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

EOI sought for this combo - as new condition. Fabulous sound.  Many rave reviews - Stereophile A+ recommendations
Pictures:

Ayre - 1.jpeg

Ayre - 2.jpeg

Edited by Lenny
added pics
  • Like 1

Great cdp and amp. I trialled the cx7 years ago at home ie before the MP upgrade and it left a lasting impression on me. The transients, details and overall balance were incredible. To me, anything Ayre is top notch. I am using the CX5emp now and it will be a mainstay in my system.

Great buy! GLWTS.

• Like 2

Don't ask me what I'm doing, I don't know either. This is a very sad story, and a lesson to you all.

I woke up one morning last week and decided I had been really stupid to trade in my Musical Fidelity 3DCD NuVista Cd player and Nu-Vista M3 integrated amp for McIntosh gear. I bought a Macintosh MCD500 CD, MR85 tuner, C2600 vallve premap and valve MC102 amp -  with a pair of Shahinian Obelisks.(the system pictured here ) The Mcintosh system proved unreliable ( described by my dealer in an off the cuff comment as having a Mercedes exterior and a Kia interior ) and the sound wasn't really great either so I down traded it to the Ayre combo listed here for sale. and let me tell you - the Ayre combo is so much better than the Mcintosh gear that it's not funny - light years ahead anyway. I marvel when I play a CD played last on the Mcintosh gear as all these new sounds, vocals and instruments emerge - never been hard before.

But I've still been pining for my original NuVista CD and Nu-Vista M3 amp and have found a Tri-Vista Sacd and Tri-Vista amp for sale overseas. If I do go ahead with this, I'll be almost back to where I started about 10 years ago !

The Tri-Vista SCAD/Cd player is a risky purchase as, if the drive fails, there are no spare parts available anymore - but it looks damn nice with it's matching amp. Its' working pereferctly now so I'm contemplating accepting the risk of this purchase...

Mac HiFi.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lenny said:

Don't ask me what I'm doing, I don't know either. This is a very sad story, and a lesson to you all.

I woke up one morning last week and decided I had been really stupid to trade in my Musical Fidelity 3DCD NuVista Cd player and Nu-Vista M3 integrated amp for McIntosh gear. I bought a Macintosh MCD500 CD, MR85 tuner, C2600 vallve premap and valve MC102 amp -  with a pair of Shahinian Obelisks.(the system pictured here ) The Mcintosh system proved unreliable ( described by my dealer in an off the cuff comment as having a Mercedes exterior and a Kia interior ) and the sound wasn't really great either so I down traded it to the Ayre combo listed here for sale. and let me tell you - the Ayre combo is so much better than the Mcintosh gear that it's not funny - light years ahead anyway. I marvel when I play a CD played last on the Mcintosh gear as all these new sounds, vocals and instruments emerge - never been hard before.

But I've still been pining for my original NuVista CD and Nu-Vista M3 amp and have found a Tri-Vista Sacd and Tri-Vista amp for sale overseas. If I do go ahead with this, I'll be almost back to where I started about 10 years ago !

The Tri-Vista SCAD/Cd player is a risky purchase as, if the drive fails, there are no spare parts available anymore - but it looks damn nice with it's matching amp. Its' working pereferctly now so I'm contemplating accepting the risk of this purchase...

Mac HiFi.jpg

Hi Lenny, 

This Mcintosh setup looks awesome. Why do you say it is unreliable? 

I am using c2500 and 601 monos and they are working well so far. Sounds good to my ears too.

I have no experience with MF but I would hate to part with the Ayre if I were you. Heard the Ayre monos with Avalons years ago and that sound pretty good too.

Btw the new mercs are unreliable. 

14 hours ago, Lenny said:

I'm glad I am not the only one, only on a much smaller and less expensive scale.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, exSG said:

Hi Lenny, 

This Mcintosh setup looks awesome. Why do you say it is unreliable? 

I am using c2500 and 601 monos and they are working well so far. Sounds good to my ears too.

I have no experience with MF but I would hate to part with the Ayre if I were you. Heard the Ayre monos with Avalons years ago and that sound pretty good too.

Btw the new mercs are unreliable. 

Hi - you probably have the best of the Mc range. My comments on unreliability were directed to Mcintosh Cd players, of which I have had three ( MCD201, MCD301 & MCD500) and the magnificent looking, but so unreliable valve power amp, the MC 2102 - which went back to the service centre three times a year without fail.

The Mcintosh cd players had drive failures( several ), then awful clicking and whirring noises. My last Mcintosh CD player, the MCD500, cost me over $10K and was only an average audio performer. My current Ayre player wipes the floor with it sonically.

The Mcintosh MC2102 power amp had capacitor failures, voltage regulator and power supply failures ( regular occurences). But it really looked nice with all it's KT88s glowing..

Hi Lenny, 

I only recently got the Macs so fingers crossed. Didn't know they can be so problematic. Thanks for sharing your experience. The gauges looks fantastic but I like the built of ayre better. To me, the design counts as well. 

Hi Lenny,

Sorry to hear about your McIntosh CD and tube amp.

I am also a McIntosh owner, have the MC452 and C46 and before that have two MC275s and I have had no reliability issue whatsoever, very happy with them...

Anyway, if you decide to offload the C2600 , I might be interested.

Good luck with the sale.

Cheers

Arni

23 hours ago, exSG said:

Hi Lenny, 

I only recently got the Macs so fingers crossed. Didn't know they can be so problematic. Thanks for sharing your experience. The gauges looks fantastic but I like the built of ayre better. To me, the design counts as well. 

Fret not - you have the most reliable models in the Mc range..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/04/2017 at 5:48 PM, Lenny said:

Item: Ayre CX-7e MP CD player and Ayre AX-7e Integrated amp
Price: $4500
Item Condition: As new
Reason for selling: Feel like a change
Payment Method: Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

EOI sought for this combo - as new condition. Fabulous sound.  Many rave reviews - Stereophile A+ recommendations
Pictures:

Ayre - 1.jpeg

Ayre - 2.jpeg

Did you sell the amp?