mrf0ster

New to Tubes, where to now.

30 posts in this topic

On 13/04/2017 at 11:42 AM, aussievintage said:

If you try secondhand, look out for the good old aussie brand  AWV.  They often look and sound like Mullards

+1 for old Australian made AWV / Miniwatt preamp tubes - i have been impressed by how they sound. Even have a few Australian made Mullard labelled tubes :-)

Edited by mkaramazov
1 person likes this

Another question. I have a phono pre amp that has 4 tubes that are exactly the same. Ie JJ gold something or rather. Is it wise to mix and match 2 tubes for the input, and then 2 different tubes for the output? So for example, let's just say 2 Mullards for the inputs, and let's say 2 different ones for the output? 

Is that a silly thing to do, or should they be all the same? 

Still learning lol ....

Cheers Mark 

8 hours ago, mrf0ster said:

Another question. I have a phono pre amp that has 4 tubes that are exactly the same. Ie JJ gold something or rather. Is it wise to mix and match 2 tubes for the input, and then 2 different tubes for the output? So for example, let's just say 2 Mullards for the inputs, and let's say 2 different ones for the output? 

Is that a silly thing to do, or should they be all the same? 

Still learning lol ....

Cheers Mark 

Depends how it is constructed.  I like to use each half of each 12AX7 for one channel each, and so each 12AX7 is one stage in the amplification for both channels.    Alternatively you could wire it up so the left channel goes through one set of tubes and the right channel through the other.   You could also wire some of the 12AX7s with both halves in parallel - for less noise for each in the first amplification stages.  

That said, it won't hurt anything to mix and match.  Doing what you suggest also makes sense if you try to keep each amplification stage using the same tube type for each channel - the trick is identifying which tubes represent what.  Is your tube phono preamp a known brand, or based on a known design - maybe we can sort it out for you.

29 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Depends how it is constructed.  I like to use each half of each 12AX7 for one channel each, and so each 12AX7 is one stage in the amplification for both channels.    Alternatively you could wire it up so the left channel goes through one set of tubes and the right channel through the other.   You could also wire some of the 12AX7s with both halves in parallel - for less noise for each in the first amplification stages.  

That said, it won't hurt anything to mix and match.  Doing what you suggest also makes sense if you try to keep each amplification stage using the same tube type for each channel - the trick is identifying which tubes represent what.  Is your tube phono preamp a known brand, or based on a known design - maybe we can sort it out for you.

Hi Aussie, this is the link to the manual, and I have attached a picture also. It looks as though each tube does a in and out on each channel?

appreciate your help, it's interesting to learn all this. 

http://www.zestoaudio.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Andros1.2web-manual.pdf

IMG_1279.PNG

Fair enough, then I would mix and match as pairs.  As long as inputs remain the same as each other,  and both outputs the same as each other as well.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Janjuc
      Price: $375 preamp, $200 DAC Prices Firm
      Item Condition: Very Good to Excellent
      Reason for selling: Change to Integrated 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal + 3% fee, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Selling my Preamp (UPS 1) and XDA 1 Dac as I am not getting as much use as I did 2-3 years ago. They would have been used about 600 hours.

Condition is very, very good to excellent

There are many reviews online, below are some:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/08/emotiva-xda-1-dac/

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/dac/introduction-to-the-emotiva-xda-1-differential-reference-dac-for-the-audiophile/

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-emotiva-usp-1-preamplifier-and-upa-1-amplifiers/

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/preamplifier/emotiva-usp-1-stereo-preamplifier/

I have original boxes for the DAC and Preamp and Remotes.

JJ

• By mwhouston
      Item: DIY OPAMP based battery powered Moving Magnet phono preamp
      Price: $190 ($10 to go to SNA on sale)
      Item Condition: New , just completed and tested
      Reason for selling: I have other DIY phono preamps
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only - $8 postage to NSW, QLD, Vic and SA capital cities
      Extra Info: This is built from the original Silicon Chip MM preamp kit. Designed by Leo Simpson.
      All metal smart enclosure LM833 chips. Any OPA2134 chip or equivalent can be easily installed. Two selectable RIAA: standard and Columbia. MKT precision caps. NP electros and 1% metal film resistors on a cct. brd. All WBT silver soldered (4%) and solid core Cat5 twisted pair wiring. Gold plated RCAs and battery test point. Earth terminal and yellow "on" LED. Comes with two 9V batteries. About 100 hours play with quality batteries. Easy battery replacement.  Only the essentials in this build to keep cost down. Excellent sounding, solid sound with great imaging.  
      Pictures:

ELECTRICAL DISCLAIMER
      This product has not been manufactured by a qualified individual or company, therefore contains electrical circuits that do not necessarily comply with Australian Standards. I understand that as the seller, I may be liable to repercussions in the event of equipment failure. By advertising and selling this product, as the seller I also agree that I am solely liable, and the publisher of this website takes no responsibility for any injury or death resulting from, whether directly or indirectly, any accident that may happen as a result of the failure of the product being sold. If in doubt, seek the services of a qualified electrician to inspect the product to ensure it is safe for use.
    • By gypr1961
      Item: AMR DP777SE with Gemini cable
      Price: 5000 ONO
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Not used
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info:

Ive now got a pair of avantgarde zeros so the amr is redundant.  I was going to keep it for a second system but I doubt I'll ever get around to it so it time to let it go

Will consider a swap for turntable inc arm +/- phonostage

Pictures:

• By SETSergio
      Item: Audio Note P2SE Power Amplifier with External Power Supply Unit

Location: Perth WA (Prefer local buyer as these are very heavy, but can pack safely for interstate buyers if they arrange their own transport)
      Price: $2,500 (Firm) with a donation to SNA
      Item Condition: Very good relative to age
       Reason for selling: Selling for a friend who has upgraded to 300B PSE Mono Blocks
       Payment Method: Cash on pick up for locals with direct deposit if shipping interstate.
       Extra Info: 
      Please do not let the looks fool you, this is a serious single ended Class A amplifier.

·         This unit was previously owned by me hence the reason I am helping out a good friend to sell.
      ·         It was purchased as a used stock Audio Note P2SE from Audio Synergy in Perth back in about 2004 and it sounded very good, it now sounds amazing with the external power supply unit and upgraded bits fitted by Audio Synergy.
      ·         Those that know Audio Synergy will understand what Clifford can do with valve rectified power supplies.
      ·         This baby produces 18 glorious watts of Class A goodness, which means more speaker options (and loudness if that is what you desire, I never found it necessary to crank the volume, as the dynamics where available from the very first watt).
      ·         The external PSU means you can keep power away from signal and provide loads of quality grunt to control most normal speaker loads (it has been used for a while with 87 db Proac Tablette 2000 and Usher Dancer Mini X and both sounded great).
      ·         The PSU (refer pics) uses 2 x Philips Miniwatt 5AR4 CV1377 NOS 1962 (1 per channel) and is choke smoothed and connected to the signal unit by 2 leads which attach at rear. It’s all housed in an old AN DAC 1 box.
      ·         The Signal unit has 2 x 6SL7 (NOS Sylvania) feeding 2 pairs of 6L6 tubes (hence Parallel single ended - refer photo). It has both 4 & 8 Ohm taps.
      ·         A pre amp is not required as this unit has a volume control, however I would recommend using a valve Pre amp to get the best out of the unit.
      ·         Please PM me for any questions you may have and I am sure that an audition will not disappoint.
      ·         Spare valves are included in the sale price – all up you will get - 3 quads of 6L6 , 2 pairs 5AR4 and 2 pairs 6SL7.
      ·         I am not sure if the electrical disclaimer is required as I did not modify this unit myself, but it is included.
      ELECTRICAL DISCLAIMER
      This product has not been manufactured by a qualified individual or company, therefore contains electrical circuits that do not necessarily comply with Australian Standards. I understand that as the seller, I may be liable to repercussions in the event of equipment failure. By advertising and selling this product, as the seller I also agree that I am solely liable, and the publisher of this website takes no responsibility for any injury or death resulting from, whether directly or indirectly, any accident that may happen as a result of the failure of the product being sold. If in doubt, seek the services of a qualified electrician to inspect the product to ensure it is safe for use.

Pictures: