New to Tubes, where to now.

On 13/04/2017 at 11:42 AM, aussievintage said:

If you try secondhand, look out for the good old aussie brand  AWV.  They often look and sound like Mullards

+1 for old Australian made AWV / Miniwatt preamp tubes - i have been impressed by how they sound. Even have a few Australian made Mullard labelled tubes :-)

Edited by mkaramazov
  • Like 1

Another question. I have a phono pre amp that has 4 tubes that are exactly the same. Ie JJ gold something or rather. Is it wise to mix and match 2 tubes for the input, and then 2 different tubes for the output? So for example, let's just say 2 Mullards for the inputs, and let's say 2 different ones for the output? 

Is that a silly thing to do, or should they be all the same? 

Still learning lol ....

Cheers Mark 

8 hours ago, mrf0ster said:

Another question. I have a phono pre amp that has 4 tubes that are exactly the same. Ie JJ gold something or rather. Is it wise to mix and match 2 tubes for the input, and then 2 different tubes for the output? So for example, let's just say 2 Mullards for the inputs, and let's say 2 different ones for the output? 

Is that a silly thing to do, or should they be all the same? 

Still learning lol ....

Cheers Mark 

Depends how it is constructed.  I like to use each half of each 12AX7 for one channel each, and so each 12AX7 is one stage in the amplification for both channels.    Alternatively you could wire it up so the left channel goes through one set of tubes and the right channel through the other.   You could also wire some of the 12AX7s with both halves in parallel - for less noise for each in the first amplification stages.  

That said, it won't hurt anything to mix and match.  Doing what you suggest also makes sense if you try to keep each amplification stage using the same tube type for each channel - the trick is identifying which tubes represent what.  Is your tube phono preamp a known brand, or based on a known design - maybe we can sort it out for you.

29 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Depends how it is constructed.  I like to use each half of each 12AX7 for one channel each, and so each 12AX7 is one stage in the amplification for both channels.    Alternatively you could wire it up so the left channel goes through one set of tubes and the right channel through the other.   You could also wire some of the 12AX7s with both halves in parallel - for less noise for each in the first amplification stages.  

That said, it won't hurt anything to mix and match.  Doing what you suggest also makes sense if you try to keep each amplification stage using the same tube type for each channel - the trick is identifying which tubes represent what.  Is your tube phono preamp a known brand, or based on a known design - maybe we can sort it out for you.

Hi Aussie, this is the link to the manual, and I have attached a picture also. It looks as though each tube does a in and out on each channel?

appreciate your help, it's interesting to learn all this. 

http://www.zestoaudio.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Andros1.2web-manual.pdf

IMG_1279.PNG

I know of some people putting 5751 tubes in Phono stages as 70% gain so lower noise. In 12AX7's, liking the Psvane tubes I recently rolled in a Pre-Amp.

I am enjoying the slightly less gain the 5751 tubes are giving me in my phono pre. I'd say they were a little quieter too. The 12AX7 psvane tubes i have heard were dynamic and sounded very good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

I am enjoying the slightly less gain the 5751 tubes are giving me in my phono pre. I'd say they were a little quieter too. The 12AX7 psvane tubes i have heard were dynamic and sounded very good.

The Psvanes are very dynamic. Replacing all 7 tubes in my Pre. with Psvanes, initially sounded a little "hot" on the top end, but they are settling nicely now. Fantastically resolving tubes.

• Like 1

The Psvanes are very dynamic. Replacing all 7 tubes in my Pre. with Psvanes, initially sounded a little "hot" on the top end, but they are settling nicely now. Fantastically resolving tubes.

How many hours do you have on them so far?

I use a pair of psvane 12AT7-T in my valve line stage,

great tubes,just give them some time to settle in.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

How many hours do you have on them so far?

Hi TOPSHELF,

I don't log hours, but my guess is around 60-70 odd on the 12AX7's and around 30-35 on the 12AU7's. Last couple of sessions you can really hear the difference. The "edgey" top end is settling and an overall "smoothing" and greater resolution. I have read some say up to 70 hours on the Psvanes, so hoping for even more improvement. Very happy with them now, will be absolutely stoked if they "open" up even more.

1 hour ago, mrf0ster said:

I have listening to the Mullards, they certainly out perform the JJ's I had, plus the channels are equal in volume now. Only played for about 3 hours, so a way to go yet. But they sound very nice to me. 

Are they the re-issue Mullards from the Valve Store? Did you get a quad or just a pair? When do you get your Psvanes? Are you getting a quad or pair? Would be interested to know if and when you do a comparo.

On 12 April 2017 at 9:36 AM, mrf0ster said:

Hello every one, I am very new to Tube phono pre. Curentley I have 4 JJ electronic ECC83s installed. The recommendation from the manufacturer is use any 12Ax7, ECC83 or the equivilant. 

My my question is, what is the equivilant to those above, and can anyone make a recommendation on some nice sounding tubes and where to buy them? 

Cheers Mark

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

You should be able to drop in 12AU7s. Slightly less gain but a smoother more musical tube. Also lately I'm absolutely hooked on 12AT7s. They some jump and snap about them. 

My 12AU7s are\were NOS NIB GE. My 12AT7s are top of the rang Psvane T series MKIIs. 

IMG_1320.thumb.JPG.75f6a424909481baabfb7e91fc33233d.JPG

@initforthemusic I Just got the PSVANE delivered today and them and the Mullards were quad matched. The Mullards have only had 5 hours use, so I expect them to improve. Will be trying the PSVANES a little later on. 

@mwhouston what is the difference between the 12A's? Are the 12A's all interchangeable?

Cheers Mark

Edited by mrf0ster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2017 at 3:54 PM, mrf0ster said:

IMG_1320.thumb.JPG.75f6a424909481baabfb7e91fc33233d.JPG

@initforthemusic I Just got the PSVANE delivered today and them and the Mullards were quad matched. The Mullards have only had 5 hours use, so I expect them to improve. Will be trying the PSVANES a little later on. 

@mwhouston what is the difference between the 12A's? Are the 12A's all interchangeable?

Cheers Mark

So Mark, how goes it with the Psvanes? How do they compare with the Mullards?

On 26/04/2017 at 4:02 PM, kab said:

The more hours i put on them the better they sound.

Be patient its worth the wait.

I've now put an estimated 70+ hours on the 12AU7's and what I read appears accurate that these tubes really settle in after 70 hours. Sound is virtually "leaping" out of the Speakers. So dynamic and resolving.

Psvane don't appear to do a 6DJ8 or equivalent. Pity as I have a few components that use those tubes.