mrf0ster

New to Tubes, where to now.

30 posts in this topic

Hello every one, I am very new to Tube phono pre. Curentley I have 4 JJ electronic ECC83s installed. The recommendation from the manufacturer is use any 12Ax7, ECC83 or the equivilant. 

My my question is, what is the equivilant to those above, and can anyone make a recommendation on some nice sounding tubes and where to buy them? 

Cheers Mark

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

1 person likes this

It is pretty much trial and error as most valves are system dependent.

NOS ones are mostly good (that's mostly BTW). If you want to experimenter I humbly suggest trying the ones 'made in the other side of the iron curtain' like Ei, RFT, Mazda/Adzam, Tungsram etc..... and some of the Japanese ones like Matusushita are pretty good.

I always bought mine from eBay...yes more risk...less cost.....

...and good luck....;)

3 people like this

Thank you Ian, those links are awesome.

cheers! 

Posted (edited)

That link from Ian for the tubes in Australia

http://tubeaudio.com.au/12ax7-ecc83/

I most probably myself would try the Tungsol gold pin or Genalex Gold Lion ones.

Edited by rocky500

Thanks Pulinap and rocky, checking all these out now. Thank you all for your advice, much appreciated. 

Silly question, but what is NOS?

1 minute ago, mrf0ster said:

Silly question, but what is NOS?

Vintage tubes that haven't been used

New Old Stock 

1 person likes this

I like the old Mullards.   They are being sold new - reissued by New Sensor I read.   I haven't tried these, but if they have faithfully reproduced them, then they might be good.

Old used preamp tubes are often a good buy if tested by the seller.  This is because they are often from equipment where they are not particularly stressed, and they will last a very long time, as long as they test well.

If you try secondhand, look out for the good old aussie brand  AWV.  They often look and sound like Mullards, and I heard a rumour that that is because they were made the same way.

Looking at the picture, I see no tube shields.  If you hear any hum, put your fingers around/near the first one, and if the hum increases, then a grounded metal shield will fix it.  I often fit a shield to the first tube in the phono preamps I build.

2 people like this

I know of some people putting 5751 tubes in Phono stages as 70% gain so lower noise. In 12AX7's, liking the Psvane tubes I recently rolled in a Pre-Amp.

22 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

I know of some people putting 5751 tubes in Phono stages as 70% gain so lower noise. In 12AX7's, liking the Psvane tubes I recently rolled in a Pre-Amp.

Never quite understood this.  If you lower the gain on the phono preamp, surely you just turn up the gain on the next stage - line preamp, or power amp, until the sound listening levels are where required?  Whatever noise is coming from the turntable will get amplified just the same.

9 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Never quite understood this.  If you lower the gain on the phono preamp, surely you just turn up the gain on the next stage - line preamp, or power amp, until the sound listening levels are where required?  Whatever noise is coming from the turntable will get amplified just the same.

Can't speak from personal experience, only relaying what a few claim sounds better to them. Personally, I use the low sensitivty instead of the recommended medium on my Phono stage and at same matched volume, definitely less hiss from Speakers.

Posted (edited)

I have those actually  initforthemusic, they were supplied with the pre amp I have. But may I ask, why is that? What is the reason behind that?

cheers Mark 

Edited by mrf0ster

6 minutes ago, mrf0ster said:

I have those actually  initforthemusic, they were supplied with the pre amp I have. But may I ask, why is that? What is the reason behind that?

cheers Mark 

You mean the cotton gloves? So oil from your fingers/hands don't get on the tubes. Some say it can actually shorten the tube life. Obviously your Pre-Amp manufacture agrees.

9 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

These Psvane are pretty good tubes. Just rolled in a quad of  Psvane 12AU7's in my Pre. along with the 3 Psvane 12AX7's that I installed a few weeks back. Dramatic step up in sound quality over the supplied tubes. I purchased the Psvane tubes on E-Bay from Find Hi-Fi, just under $100 for a matched Pair.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

You mean the cotton gloves? So oil from your fingers/hands don't get on the tubes. Some say it can actually shorten the tube life. Obviously your Pre-Amp manufacture agrees.

Personally I don't believe it shortens tube life.  They just don't run hot enough for any contamination on the glass to cause a problem.  Preamp tubes especially, and I have never seen one crack, except from physical impact.  If you witness they way they are treated by guitarists ...

I think it started with the fact that they are hot enough to be uncomfortably warm in your fingers if removed after some use.  That and also, fingerprints on an exposed valve look unsightly :)

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Personally I don't believe it shortens tube life.  They just don't run hot enough for any contamination on the glass to cause a problem.  Preamp tubes especially, and I have never seen one crack, except from physical impact.  If you witness they way they are treated by guitarists ...

I think it started with the fact that they are hot enough to be uncomfortably warm in your fingers if removed after some use.  That and also, fingerprints on an exposed valve look unsightly :)

Yes I guess whether the oil on Tubes affects Tube life/performance is debateable. A tech recommended it to me a while back, as he has handles tubes regularly I thought I'd take his advice. Another tech I asked said "It's a good practice." So as I have a couple pair of cotton gloves that came with equipment I thought might as well use them. As you say at minimum it keeps tubes looking good.

Hi initforthemusic, my systems is as follows:

LP12 with Khan Top Plate, tranquility, linn ittokII, Mose power supply and a newly acquired Van Den Hul Crimson cart. 

Paradigm Sig 8's L&R

Paradigm C5 centre

Paradigm ADP3 rears

Yamaha CX5000 pre

Emotiva XPR5 power amp

2 x Martin Logan 700 sub woofer

It has taken me a few years to get to this point, but I am pretty happy with how it is all sounding right now. 

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

4 people like this

On 16/04/2017 at 5:51 PM, mrf0ster said:

Trying those Psvane's you mentioned initforthemusic, they read up well. 

Just wondering if anyone has heard or tried the reissued Mullards? 

https://thevalvestore.com.au/home/11-mullard-12ax7-ecc83.html

Cheers Mark 

Hi Mark,

I think you will be happy with the Psvanes. You can always experiment, as you already have JJ's. with a pair of each, and if you get the Mullards you can mix and match with those till you get your preferred combination or you might just be happy with the quad of Psvanes. Give them a bit of time to settle in and keep us informed.

Will do mate. I am looking forward to trying them!

Cheers, Mark

Trying those Psvane's you mentioned initforthemusic, they read up well. 

Just wondering if anyone has heard or tried the reissued Mullards? 

https://thevalvestore.com.au/home/11-mullard-12ax7-ecc83.html

Cheers Mark 

Just get the vintage ones, most reissue tubes aren't as good as NOS, vintage ones have much better quality.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 19/04/2017 at 9:18 AM, mrf0ster said:

Will do mate. I am looking forward to trying them!

Cheers, Mark

Will be interesting. Synergy's a big thing. When I initially put in the 3 Psvane 12AX7's into my Pre. both Power Amp & Mono Blocks sounded really good. When I rolled in the 4 Psvane 12AU7's as well, was way too bright with Power Amp connected, but when I switched back in the Mono Blocks, absolute magic!