Plex vs simple dlna ?

I have a Thecus NAS on my home network, and there is a Plex server app for it, which I have installed, and it is up and running.   I installed the Plex client program on my Windows 10 laptop, which only seems to want to let me log into Plex out on the internet.  I am not interested in this.  I just want to use the server on my NAS.     Is there any way to do this, either with the Plex program, or any other media players for Windows 10?

Or, am I better off just using a simple dlna server or playing the music by mapping a drive to my computer and using something like MusicBee to play the music?

I use Plex server on my Asustar nas for music only. All tablet, phones, media servers, avr, anything with dlna picks it up. I find it better than any other dlna server as you can edit album art etc.

21 minutes ago, powerav said:

I use Plex server on my Asustar nas for music only. All tablet, phones, media servers, avr, anything with dlna picks it up. I find it better than any other dlna server as you can edit album art etc.

Might be that my little NAS is underpowered, but I am finding plex VERY slow as a dlna server.

• 1 month later...

I have had the complete opposite experience with Plex.

It's easy to tweak, album artwork and access is tops (anywhere in the world) and its video playback works superbly well.

Servilo and Twonky have pained me... trying to delete Servilo off my Mac is even proving to be annoying!

• Like 1

Any info why using a Synology NAS standard DLNA service accessed on by TV/Bluray/Game Console DLNA service will not stream DTS-MA 7.1 audio? It will only ever play DTS-MA 5.1.

But if I push the video using the DS Video app with AAC pass through ticked I get all 7.1 channels. Pushing from the iPad app via DLNA takes a minute or two for the video to play which is a bit annoying, but plays fine once it gets going. Is this transcoding the audio? The NAS CPU load suggests audio only.

I can live with 5.1 DTS-MA and just set the amp to DTS:NeutralX for the convenience of speedy playback performance. I just wonder why the standard DLNA service is limited to 5.1 on and devices without an extra service getting involved. Is this part of the standard?