FS: Whatmough Opus 20 floorstanders - $250

SOLD

Item: Whatmought Opus 20 floorstanding speakers
Price:  $250

I'm also on the hunt for a AVR upgrade, so if someone has something suitable they're looking to move on I'd be interested in a trade (+cash from me)

Item Condition: Functionally great, aesthetically good for their age, but there's definitely some marks on the veneer; I've tried to make the pictures comprehensive enough that you can see all the marks. Grills are in very good shape, no tears or anything (they're also like super beefy! Frames seem to be MDF, no flexy plastic here!)
Reason for selling: Ended up being surplus to requirements, more info below.
Payment Method: Pickup (cash) only at this stage. Firstly because I'm a relatively new member around here, and I think an in person sale is the best way to make sure buyers know I'm above board, and secondly because trying to sort out packing and freight isn't worth my time for the price.

Extra Info: Some of you might have seen a thread I posted a while ago about some coil rub I was getting on my old Wharfedale Diamonds. I tried to get a replacement driver to no avail, and when I saw these on gumtree a couple of months ago I thought I'd grab them as a replacement for the diamond fronts in my 5.1 setup. As luck would have it, the next week I found a driver for the diamonds and got that as well with the plan to move them on in working order.

Unfortunately though I just couldn't get the Whatmough's to integrate into my (albeit very budget) system. Running them on their own for 2ch music, even just from my crappy AVR they sounded lovely; top end is much better defined and clearer than the Diamonds. Sadly when the centre and sub were bought into play I just wasn't as keen on them, they lacked some warmth or something.

At this point I'm almost tempted to keep them, and hopefully get better results with a new amp and a better matched centre, but I don't have tonnes of space, so if someone will take them off my hands that's great.

In terms of specs, these were taken from a review quoted on the Whatmough site:

Dimensions: 220 x 830 x 270

Weight: 16kg ea

HF: Vifa 25mm fabric dome tweeter

LF: 150mm Aerogel w/ forward firing bass port

Pictures: Attached, if you'd like to see something I haven't shown, just let me know.

Cheers,

Shayne.

OPus20-11.jpg

OPus20-1.jpg

OPus20-2.jpg

OPus20-3.jpg

OPus20-4.jpg

OPus20-5.jpg

OPus20-6.jpg

OPus20-7.jpg

OPus20-8.jpg

OPus20-9.jpg

OPus20-10.jpg

Edited by srey
Added info on grill condition
  • Like 2

Wow, didn't expect this sort of response.

I figured I'd gotten a decent deal when I picked them up and could pass that along to someone else in the community here, but it seems I'd gotten more of a bargain than I thought!

If only I had room for a second system so I could try them with a 2ch amp.

Thanks to everyone who got in touch, aaleks was first off the mark so preference goes to him, if that falls through for some reason I'll get in touch with the next in line.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Bloody hell, you guys just drove to plug them back in and have another listen, now I'm even less sure I'm doing the right thing!

A deal's a deal though, Aleks just had better come get them before I do change my mind [emoji12].

In the meantime I better get out and go for a climb or something, lest I continue to sit and see one guess myself.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk