Anyone with a High-end DAC in SE Qld?

I am on the Gold Coast (SE Qld) and have Duntech Sovereign speakers and ME25 pre / ME1400 amp (also Parasound JC1 amp not in regular use). I would like to hear whether it would be worthwhile investing in a high-end DAC (especially $1k - $10k price range). Does anyone in SE Queensland have access to any such DACs they could loan, or that would like to test them out on my system? 

4 minutes ago, Jventer said:

Please give us more info, e.g. what connections do you wish the dac to have? Feeding from? PCM only or DSD etc.

I use Tidal online music streaming subscription. I don't have any digital audio files at this stage.
I am also looking for a streamer (that supports Tidal). So I am looking at both separate streamers and DACs, or combined DAC/streamer devices. Hope that helps? 

Hi Nick 

I have a PS audio DSD dac. I think it retails at about $1700 and a bluesound node 2 streamer.  This streamer will stream tidal and even the new tidal master series 

This Combi sounds pretty damn good to my ears.  

Im in brissy, so if your interested, I could bring them down.  The dac has ballanced and unbalanced connections.  

Would love to to hear them on the ledgondary sovereigns 

pm me if your interested 

Cherrs 

21 hours ago, nicholas9976 said:

I use Tidal online music streaming subscription. I don't have any digital audio files at this stage.
I am also looking for a streamer (that supports Tidal). So I am looking at both separate streamers and DACs, or combined DAC/streamer devices. Hope that helps?

Do you happen to own a Macbook? If so, consider purchasing Audirvana to use in conjunction with Tidal. All you'll need is a Dac then. :)

6 hours ago, soundfan said:

Do you happen to own a Macbook? If so, consider purchasing Audirvana to use in conjunction with Tidal. All you'll need is a Dac then. :)

Sorry only Windows laptops, iPads and iPhones. No MacBook. 

I would like to select Tidal songs via an iPad app to play on a Tidal-compatible streamer. Anyone know any good options for doing this? 

I was doing this using a Chromecast before, but when I mentioned that before people here pooh poohed that idea, saying the sound quality from such a cheap streaming device is bad. That set me on the path to looking for a better sounding streamer and DAC. 

On 09/04/2017 at 2:16 AM, john.reekie said:

Perhaps give the Lumin app a shot (what I use on iPad) - http://www.luminmusic.com/app.html

Thanks for the suggestion, the Lumin devices look like good products too, if a little expensive for the top-of-the-range model. 

The conundrum I see is that I only need to stream online Tidal songs, not files from my own hard-drive/server. All the audiophile products seem to be designed to stream high resolution music files from your own server, and also do online Tidal streaming on the side. People here pooh poohed when I was using a cheap chromecast (which just does online streaming only) and they may be right, but will the audiophile products designed primarily for streaming high bitrate files (which I don't actually need) sound any better for Tidal? Won't the sound depend more on the DAC? (and even the differences between accurate DACs these days are quite subtle relative to speakers and room/acoustics).  

On 08/04/2017 at 8:33 PM, nicholas9976 said:

Sorry only Windows laptops, iPads and iPhones. No MacBook. 

I would like to select Tidal songs via an iPad app to play on a Tidal-compatible streamer. Anyone know any good options for doing this? 

I was doing this using a Chromecast before, but when I mentioned that before people here pooh poohed that idea, saying the sound quality from such a cheap streaming device is bad. That set me on the path to looking for a better sounding streamer and DAC. 

Do you wish to stream hi-rez and DSD? If not, a Cullen modified Sonos Connect is very easy to use from iPad/iPhone and the app is rock solid, if you want hi-rez I'd go a Bluesound equivalent.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/12/next-level-sonos-from-wyred4sounds-modded-connect/

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-bluesound-node-2

I'm using Roon on my iMac to stream my own Redbook files AND Tidal to the Sonos and it's fantastic, however, I'd prefer Spotify once they go lossless, as I often find Tidal doesn't have new material I'm looking for whereas Spotify does.

DAC wise, the Mytek Brooklyn is about as feature rich as you can get right now, having a MQA decoder to stream Tidal Masters collection if that's your thing. Can't comment on performance though as haven't heard it.

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/brooklyn/

On 08/04/2017 at 10:58 AM, Bill125812 said:

Hi Nick 

I have a PS audio DSD dac. I think it retails at about $1700 and a bluesound node 2 streamer.  This streamer will stream tidal and even the new tidal master series 

This Combi sounds pretty damn good to my ears.  

Im in brissy, so if your interested, I could bring them down.  The dac has ballanced and unbalanced connections.  

Would love to to hear them on the ledgondary sovereigns 

pm me if your interested 

Cherrs 

PM sent.
Look forward to hearing the PS Audio Nuwave DAC on my Duntech Sovereigns soon.  
If anyone else in SE Qld would like to hear this combo, or has their own streamer or DAC to compare, just let me know... 

2 minutes ago, blybo said:

Do you wish to stream hi-rez and DSD? If not, a Cullen modified Sonos Connect is very easy to use from iPad/iPhone and the app is rock solid, if you want hi-rez I'd go a Bluesound equivalent.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/12/next-level-sonos-from-wyred4sounds-modded-connect/

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-bluesound-node-2

I'm using Roon on my iMac to stream my own Redbook files AND Tidal to the Sonos and it's fantastic, however, I'd prefer Spotify once they go lossless, as I often find Tidal doesn't have new material I'm looking for whereas Spotify does.

DAC wise, the Mytek Brooklyn is about as feature rich as you can get right now, having a MQA decoder to stream Tidal Masters collection if that's your thing. Can't comment on performance though as haven't heard it.

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/brooklyn/

Yes, I am only doing online streaming (Tidal). I will look into the modded Sonos Connect. The Mytek Brooklyn looks good.  @Bill125812 has kindly offered to bring his Bluesound Node 2 streamer (which supports Tidal Masters Series), and his PS Audio Nuwave DAC (which I assume doesn't, correct me if I'm wrong) to try on my Sovereigns. Wondering if anyone else in SE Qld may have a DAC such as Mytek Brooklyn that supports Tidal Masters Series / MQA?  

56 minutes ago, nicholas9976 said:

The conundrum I see is that I only need to stream online Tidal songs, not files from my own hard-drive/server. All the audiophile products seem to be designed to stream high resolution music files from your own server, and also do online Tidal streaming on the side.

I purchased a second hand macbook ($300) specifically so that I could purchase Audirvana 3, and subscribe to Tidal premium. I previously used Spotify, but the better sound quality via Tidal (minimum of CD quality) was an easy choice. Connected to my Dac, I'm all sorted for streaming.

I don't own a music server or the like, and I feel it's one of the best moves I've ever done, 

3 minutes ago, nicholas9976 said:

Yes, I am only doing online streaming (Tidal). I will look into the modded Sonos Connect. The Mytek Brooklyn looks good.  @Bill125812 has kindly offered to bring his Bluesound Node 2 streamer (which supports Tidal Masters Series), and his PS Audio Nuwave DAC (which I assume doesn't, correct me if I'm wrong) to try on my Sovereigns. Wondering if anyone else in SE Qld may have a DAC such as Mytek Brooklyn that supports Tidal Masters Series / MQA?  

I believe Tidal/Roon determines which version of a MQA file to send via your streamer to the DAC. I can play the Masters files but my DAC can't decode MQA. I believe a PCM version is sent which has some but not all MQA benefits.

The main benefit of the Sonos is the bulletproof UI, whether from a Desktop computer or from mobile devices. It simply has never failed me in several years of ownership, I had a normal Connect with a W4S Reclocker before getting the Cullen Connect. The Bluesound is also apparently very good with the benefit of Hi-Rez playback but some have reported a few gremlins, but nothing major.

I tried a Aurelic Aries Mini streamer instore and the control app crashed twice while in the salesman's hands, and I found it pretty difficult to navigate compared to Sonos.

The Brooklyn hasn't been out that long so doubtful there are many here... And you are correct the NuWave will not process the full MQA codec (as it's so new) but probably uses the PCM version as my Audiolab DAC does. I'm of the firm belief that DAC give the end users differing flavours of playback, but not dramatically better or worse, although some may suit your tastes better than others.

11 minutes ago, soundfan said:

I purchased a second hand macbook ($300) specifically so that I could purchase Audirvana 3, and subscribe to Tidal premium. I previously used Spotify, but the better sound quality via Tidal (minimum of CD quality) was an easy choice. Connected to my Dac, I'm all sorted for streaming.

I don't own a music server or the like, and I feel it's one of the best moves I've ever done, 

What's the connection between Macbook and DAC - the Macbook has an optical digital output? 

1 minute ago, blybo said:

I believe Tidal/Roon determines which version of a MQA file to send via your streamer to the DAC. I can play the Masters files but my DAC can't decode MQA. I believe a PCM version is sent which has some but not all MQA benefits.

The main benefit of the Sonos is the bulletproof UI, whether from a Desktop computer or from mobile devices. It simply has never failed me in several years of ownership, I had a normal Connect with a W4S Reclocker before getting the Cullen Connect. The Bluesound is also apparently very good with the benefit of Hi-Rez playback but some have reported a few gremlins, but nothing major.

I tried a Aurelic Aries Mini streamer instore and the control app crashed twice while in the salesman's hands, and I found it pretty difficult to navigate compared to Sonos.

The Brooklyn hasn't been out that long so doubtful there are many here... And you are correct the NuWave will not process the full MQA codec (as it's so new) but probably uses the PCM version as my Audiolab DAC does. I'm of the firm belief that DAC give the end users differing flavours of playback, but not dramatically better or worse, although some may suit your tastes better than others.

Thanks. Yes, that's what I just read, this article below explains that Tidal software for Mac and PC have MQA built-in now, and will provide the Tidal Masters Series files to your DAC at up to 96/24 which is a big step up. To get the benefit of the highest resolution files up to 384/32 you need an MQA compatible DAC of which the Mytek Brookyn seems to be the key one at present. 
http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-digital/mqa-master-streaming-on-tidal-rules.html 

So to do Tidal Masters Series (MQA) streaming and still use my ipad to select the tracks, maybe a Bluesound Node 2 feeding a DAC at up to 96/24 might work well for now?
Or for highest resolution I could get a Mytek Brooklyn DAC now or wait for more MQA compatible DACs to become available to play the files in up to 384/32. 

13 minutes ago, nicholas9976 said:

Thanks. Yes, that's what I just read, this article below explains that Tidal software for Mac and PC have MQA built-in now, and will provide the Tidal Masters Series files to your DAC at up to 96/24 which is a big step up. To get the benefit of the highest resolution files up to 384/32 you need an MQA compatible DAC of which the Mytek Brookyn seems to be the key one at present. 
http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-digital/mqa-master-streaming-on-tidal-rules.html 

So to do Tidal Masters Series (MQA) streaming and still use my ipad to select the tracks, maybe a Bluesound Node 2 feeding a DAC at up to 96/24 might work well for now?
Or for highest resolution I could get a Mytek Brooklyn DAC now or wait for more MQA compatible DACs to become available to play the files in up to 384/32. 

Or just use your existing Windows laptop and DAC, if there is a way to control from iPad. The Brooklyn also gives you headphone amp, a TT input and pre-amp, if you value those features. Might want to try a modern pre-amp as compared to the ME

Edited by blybo

Or just use your existing Windows laptop and DAC, if there is a way to control from iPad. The Brooklyn also gives you headphone amp, a TT input and pre-amp, if you value those features. Might want to try a modern pre-amp as compared to the ME

Yes, anyone know if you can control Tidal music on laptop via an iPad app?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, nicholas9976 said:

Meridian sooloos system will do that. Allows you to integrate your tidal albums into your ripped data library as if they were all from the same place.  All controlled via iPAD.  If you were in VIC I would have happily dragged it over to test on the Sov's.

happy hunting

On 11/04/2017 at 1:14 PM, nicholas9976 said:

Yes, you can use the Lumin app...... provided you can stream to an OpenHome-compliant device. If you have UPnP/DLNA but not OpenHome, you can use BubbeUPnP server - full instructions here: http://www.hifizine.com/2016/06/how-to-stream-tidal-to-the-raspberry-pi/ (The Raspberry Pi bit is irrelevant, it just needs to be a DLNA player).

[Edit] since I've just realized that you said here "on laptop" instead of earlier "Tidal-compatible streamer": I believe if you run JRiver on the Windows laptop it will appear as a DLNA renderer on the network. (Give it a try)

HTH :)

Edited by john.reekie

On 11/04/2017 at 10:37 AM, nicholas9976 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, the Lumin devices look like good products too, if a little expensive for the top-of-the-range model. 

The conundrum I see is that I only need to stream online Tidal songs, not files from my own hard-drive/server.

To clarify, you don't need to have a Lumin device to use the Lumin app. (See my post just above). You can use it just for Tidal, you don't need a local file library.