ex brickie

Help with finding jazz....

I also highly recommend (in addition to others here) the PBS 106.7FM online setup.  No subscription required, but loads of awesome jazz (all of their radio shows are available). Just use the Jazz tap at the top.  I love Jazz got Soul. And Jazz on Saturdays.  We are so spoilt with Melbourne public radio!  

Grimmie   

@ex brickieWell, it does seem as though all that jazz so far ain't really floatin' your boat so well. Maybe the generally accepted idea of jazz (Coltrane, Davis, big-band, free-jazz, Armstrong, Gillespie et al is just not the right jazz direction for you. That doesn't mean the jazz road has come to a dead-end though, merely a crossroad. Here's a few other ideas in jazz that may be more to your liking.

Turn left at Europe. My favourite is Bugge Wesseltoft, and has been for some time, his range is huge and he often collaborates with others from various genres. From the verging on classical of Bugge and Henning 'Last Spring' and solo piano works like 'Playing' through many styles to fantastic electronic albums with Henrick Schwartz 'Duo' and 'Trio' his range is phenomenal. He hit his strapps first for me on his '96 'New Conception of Jazz' which was a bit scrappy but a seminal work for sure, if I was to recommend a favourite it would be between the atmospheric 'Moving' (2001) or "Duo'. Also check out his collaboration with Laurent Garnier on LG's 'Cloud Making Machine' a fearsomely difficult Electronic / Jazz / World recording that takes a lot of getting into but rewards as being emotionally uplifting and unique.

Next I'd suggest Nils Petter Molvaer, another crossover artist (trumpeter) that leans toward electronics. Try 'Khmer' first but also 'An American Compilation' which is great, plenty of other albums too.

Marc Moulan, typically French but influenced by American jazz and electronic styles and very catchy. 'Top Secret' is a good one, or 'I am you'

Can't imagine no-one's mentioned Tord Gustavsen, his music is less "out there" but still very cool. 'The Ground' and Being There' I have and enjoy.

Jazzbox - 'Jazz is the Grass I Cut', very modern and thrilling. Same can be said about Portico Quartet, I have three of theirs, 'Isla' maybe for starters.

Skalpel another three albums to choose from, I'll go 'Konfusion' as a recommendation but like all of them. Esbjörn Svensson Trio are very popular on here with good reason. Nick Bartsch's 'Lyria' is a beauty too. Plenty more in my collection but I sense I'm getting boring here.

Don't know if you can be bothered checking all of that lot out but my favourite jazz is definitely across the Atlantic from it's original birthplace.

Ged

CraigC   

If you haven't found anything you like after all the great jazz albums that have been suggested, I would move on as it obviously isn't to your liking.

good luck with the search

TerryO   

Here are a couple of albums that introduced me to Jazz in the early 80's, before listening to these albums I just didn't get it at all, now I do but I'm still not into the hardcore stuff. 

This music is easy listening and relaxing and I found great to drive long distances to.

Some hardcore Jazzophiles consider this style of Jazz as elevator music and maybe it is but to me on a good sound system it is just so nice to listen too. Who knows maybe this style of laid back easy listening Jazz may also prove for you to be a good starting point, as it was for me, good luck with it.

Cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

TerryO   

Nick and then there was this bloke, for me it was hard not to appreciate his music.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

TerryO   

Nick if you are going to check out YouTube then if you have not seen any of the Scott Bradley Postmodern Jukebox clips might be an idea to have a look at these links. There are literally hundreds of songs with dozens of different performers performing in various styles of music from 20's through to Jazz and everything in between. Here are some clips that I reckon are pretty good.

These clips also look and sound pretty good on our HT setup.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO