FS: DEAD ME 550 Power AMP

SOLD

Item: Rooted ME 550 Power Amplifier
Price: $200
Item Condition: Good physical condition but dead as a post!
Reason for selling: Lost interest 
Payment Method: Reference to local pickup but will consider shipping

Hi Guys

I purchased this some time ago in its current state with the intention of having repaired.  With the passage of time and heading in a different direction I have no use for it and no intentions of getting it repaired.  

I've attached lots of pics to provide as much information as possible for potential buyers.  The unit appears to be complete although there are some loose wires.  I have no idea what the problem is but I'm sure an ME agent could repair it quite easily.    

I'm seeking it what it cost me, however, if its overpriced in this current market or dare say under priced, please feel free to politely guide me.  :)

Cheers

Pete

DSC06741 (Medium).JPG

DSC06730 (Medium).JPG

DSC06731 (Medium).JPG

DSC06732 (Medium).JPG

DSC06733 (Medium).JPG

DSC06734 (Medium).JPG

DSC06735 (Medium).JPG

DSC06736 (Medium).JPG

DSC06737 (Medium).JPG

DSC06738 (Medium).JPG

DSC06739 (Medium).JPG

DSC06740 (Medium).JPG

DSC06742 (Medium).JPG

DSC06743 (Medium).JPG

DSC06745 (Medium).JPG

DSC06746 (Medium).JPG

Edited by Peter_F

It looks almost as though all the capacitors have been replaced.

Someone on Perth should grab it and make it sing again. Beefy looking 500va or thereabouts transformer, good looking boards and complete case, tiny over priced, but OTOH a Legendary Amp.

GLWS 

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

It looks almost as though all the capacitors have been replaced.

Someone on Perth should grab it and make it sing again. Beefy looking 500va or thereabouts transformer, good looking boards and complete case, tiny over priced, but OTOH a Legendary Amp.

GLWS 

Thanks for the feedback Matt.  

Open to offers guys.    

Just now, Peter_F said:

Thanks for the feedback Matt.  

Open to offers guys.    

Over 3 months Iv'e built 5 large power amps in spare time, This looks like a fairly easy job as nothing looks "broken" or "missing" someone with some knowledge would work out what it needs in a few hours.

Not being integrated or "processor controlled" is a massive bonus as it's a straight up power amp and that's all

Proper Power Amp, worth fixing

47 minutes ago, unclemack said:

NO idea. Clearly, it has been fiddled with by an idiot. I would not dare provide an idea without putting it on the bench. 

At the very minimum, the fan speed control system has been by-passed. This will negatively affect performance. More obviously, sections of the wiring have been (untidily) replaced. Plastic bypass caps have been fitted to the main cap banks. This is, of course, a complete waste of time, which suggests the person who worked on the amp did not have a clue. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

Just now, djb said:

1 will you post?

@Zaphod Beeblebrox will this drive a 2 ohm load?

In PROPER operational order, the ME550 will easily drive 2 Ohm loads. I cannot speak for the unit advertised for sale. I am concerned about the unauthorised modifications to this amp. Of course, that is reflected in it's low price. A fully functioning, properly serviced ME550 is worth somewhere between $600.00 ~ $1,000.00. 

• Like 1