Cambridge 851W problems

Today I have noticed that 1 side of my power amp is not working. After every possible process of elimination, I can confirm there is no sound output going from one side of the speaker, which case I have to get it taken to a service center. I can illustrate the problem in detail, when I am switching on the unit, the side that doesn't work,  I don't feel any heat on the heatsink, it is almost as if there is no power getting to the side that isn't working? does this make sense??

It is hard for certain to know what the issue is. I spent much time this morning going through every possible elimination test I could think of. Swapping cables, different source of equipment, and since it is the right channel not working, i confirm this using my right speaker on the left hand channel on amp (and it worked) but silent on right channel. Tried further rule out issues, as when doing R channel from pre amp to R channel on power amp (no sound) but putting R channel from pre amp into L channel on power amp, there was sound. I cannot smell anything from the unit, but when feeling the right channel heatsink, just remains cool, so for some reason power is not getting to the right side.

Now I am not a technical expert here so unless I get the unit checked out I can only guess what could be going on.

So who here has had to deal with a channel on their amp that stop working all of a sudden??

Well i had the unit taken to the service center yesterday. Rather let someone who knows what they are doing look at it.

I got the feeling the output stage on the channel concerned may of just went, but until I get confirmation from the repair guy, will just have to wait and see what he says.

Edited by Time_Lord

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rogerthat
10 minutes ago, Time_Lord said:

Well my unit had to be repaired, right channel was gone. Ah well these things happen. Blown channels on a amp are not uncommon.

Was it an expensive repair?

Guest rogerthat

Thanks for that. Good choice I think. You can't get that kind of power, even second hand, for anywhere near $600. How long is the Cambridge warranty? Hard to find on the web. Two years?

I think the warranty is 2 years as far as I know

I don't know how my right channel could of went. But having a blown amplifier channel is not uncommon, the amount of times I read about blown amp channels on various different forums is quite interesting.

My personal opinion, I think at some point the unit may of developed a fault and I probably wasn't even aware of it, like perhaps some kind of component failure. Long gone are the days when an amp can last for 20 years without any issues. Planned obsolescence is sadly the reality of many consumer products.

How old was the amp, remember under Australian consumer law the actual warranty may be considerably longer than the manufacturers warranty under statutory law.

Although that said it can be difficult to enforce your basic consumer right, 

Under 3.5 years old my unit was. Even with this consumer law and statutory laws for consumer goods, reality is it can be very difficult to pursue and in some cases may not even be worth the effort. At least when I got the unit, the rrp was $2800 back then.

Wonder how many other people here who have also purchased even more expensive high end audio gear only to realized it lasted not even 4 years and faced with a similar decision - fix or bin. And yes I am aware of the recent AMR post.

Edited by Time_Lord
  • Like 1

Guest rogerthat

Yes this and the AMR post... so so frustrating. Bryston is 20 years and Simaudio 10 years. But Brystons integrated is $6k+ retail and Simaudio seem to just start at that price if you want a bit of welly. So do you fork out the big $ and rely on the warranty or get it cheaper and pay to repair? Not an easy decision.

My 851W is in for repair too.  I had a pop and then the amp went into protection mode.  When I had a closer look, the smoke escaped from the right hand side.  Prior to this I had heard some low level crackling but (stupidly) put it down to interference somewhere.

i rang the repairer yesterday and they said they were replacing the whole RHS power amp module. However, luck was on my side as I just snuck in on the tail end of the warranty.

Hopefully I will have it back next week.

Edited by mivarpet

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The left heat sink on my 851w is not as hot as the right heat sink. But I have sound in both my speakers . Is that normal? Also when I balance fully to the left I still hear slight music from my right speaker and vice versa. A little concerned and look forward to someone helping me understand this. 

• 4 months later...
On 15/09/2019 at 4:01 AM, Mohan Nagarajan said:

The left heat sink on my 851w is not as hot as the right heat sink. But I have sound in both my speakers . Is that normal? Also when I balance fully to the left I still hear slight music from my right speaker and vice versa. A little concerned and look forward to someone helping me understand this. 

The hotter channel right might be the bias drifting up above original setting.

Edit: forgot...not normal.

Hearing the other channel might mean the volume pot is worn, although I am guessing on that one.

Edited by muon*