Pioneer Kuro Black bar has appeared

Hi,

I am thinking this is the end of my Pioneer Kuro :(. I thought pixelation would be one or two spots, this is a whole bar.

Is this the end? If so what is the next best option at 50 -55 inch TV?

IMG_2131[1].JPG

Edited by Nap250

not sure what the black bar is being spoken about. pioneer kuros's can be fixed... though if involves complete panel replacement it might not be worth it

in the 55" size there is only one option in my opinion and thats oled. LG makes them, i havent seen the sony oled as yet and not sure we will get the pana oled. cost wise your looking at around $3k undiscounted for a new TV.

so id suggest explore repair... and weigh up looking at what can get in the shops how compares for you with cost involved in buying new

@:) alThe black bar on the LHS just appeared (a bit like a bar chart). Turned on the TV and changed channels one moment it was perfect and the next moment a black bar.

Thanks for the heads up re repair, I wasn't aware that the plasmas were repairable. I will give Pioneer a call tomorrow.

37 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

Sadly mine is only 7 years old. I'm in mourning, the amount of research ahead of me is going to be very frustrating - it was so simple with the Kuro.

I feel your pain.

My Pro Calibrated KRP 500M is 8 years old and I absolutely DREAD the day it packs up!!!!

There is STILL nothing out there that I would prefer.

Please let us know how things pan out.

Good Luck

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1

[mention=125306]:) al[/mention]The black bar on the LHS just appeared (a bit like a bar chart). Turned on the TV and changed channels one moment it was perfect and the next moment a black bar.

Thanks for the heads up re repair, I wasn't aware that the plasmas were repairable. I will give Pioneer a call tomorrow.

There is a non working Kuro for sale here. The seller has been quoted over 3K for a replacement panel. So yeah, everything is repairable ( at a price)

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Sime said:

Well, at some point it has to go……………

Even though I know that, I was still hoping for at least another 3 years. Perhaps a TV would be as good in that time frame - that is a big perhaps. 

Even though I know that, I was still hoping for at least another 3 years. Perhaps a TV would be as good in that time frame - that is a big perhaps. 

By all accounts Panasonic's VT series Plasma was as good as the Kuro before it was discontinued. Much more recent than your Kuro. Maybe you could look for one of them second hand.

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Sime said:

Just go and buy a OLED, you'll forget about the Kuro within an hour :love

This debate could get uglier than the great cable debate. Everyone knows that the Kuro is the best and not yet equalled.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

This debate could get uglier than the great cable debate. Everyone knows that the Kuro is the best and not yet equalled.

and the thing to keep in mind if yours is 7-8 years old you are looking at the very last of the kuros the gen 9 which was last and the best infact it had features built in from what was going to be the gen 10 but pio pulled up stumps...

OLED I see as the only comparison these days. but its not fully bedded. am not sure a panel to replace will last out the 7-8 years or 10 years people are seeing with kuros either. they really down build them like they used to ! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, :) al said:

am not sure a panel to replace will last out the 7-8 years or 10 years people are seeing with kuros either. they really down build them like they used to !

Lucky if you get 5 years out of a panel these days...

TVs are stupidly cheap now as we know, get off the plasma train and go with the new tech as it gets released. 

New tv every two years, why not. 

Problem is the KURO was a well bedded and proven design, the suggested replacement, a OLED by either LG or SONY [moot since Sony uses LG panels], is that the OLED is not yet a proven design, and OLED longevity is not yet known.......looking at posts about Black bars appearing on new OLEDs, and the pokery trickery used to make the panels seem Blacker than they actually are by setting them to have a high Blue cast, which boost the Whites to make them appear brighter than they actually are, they are doing that because OLED just can't be as bright as LCD [see the ISF calibration thread of before/after ]

OLED looks impressive, but I'm not convinced of long term reliability, and at the prices being asked, I'd rather spend the same amount on a top of the range UHD capable LCD/LED.

Hey, but that's just me.....to each their own.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

I recently went from a pro cal Panasonic GT 55" to a Sony KDL 55W650D not calibrated and am very, very happy with the result.

How is it with sport?

5 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

How is it with sport?

Very good mate, I checked that out closely because sport gets a good run.  No ghosting at all, which I am very surprised with TBO.

Edited by Kaynin

1 hour ago, Sime said:

TVs are stupidly cheap now as we know, get off the plasma train and go with the new tech as it gets released. 

New tv every two years, why not. 

Call me old fashioned but I like that my Kuro is still going strong.

In these days of a throw away society it's great to have a TV that can last 10 years and still has a great picture.

I still feel no urge to replace mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Very good mate, I checked that out closely because sport gets a good run.  No ghosting at all, which I am very surprised with TBO.

What about pixelation close literally 20 cms away.

I find that annoying with my current LG led.