Nap250

Pioneer Kuro Black bar has appeared

136 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I am thinking this is the end of my Pioneer Kuro :(. I thought pixelation would be one or two spots, this is a whole bar.

Is this the end? If so what is the next best option at 50 -55 inch TV?

IMG_2131[1].JPG

Edited by Nap250

not sure what the black bar is being spoken about. pioneer kuros's can be fixed... though if involves complete panel replacement it might not be worth it

in the 55" size there is only one option in my opinion and thats oled. LG makes them, i havent seen the sony oled as yet and not sure we will get the pana oled. cost wise your looking at around $3k undiscounted for a new TV.

so id suggest explore repair... and weigh up looking at what can get in the shops how compares for you with cost involved in buying new

@:) alThe black bar on the LHS just appeared (a bit like a bar chart). Turned on the TV and changed channels one moment it was perfect and the next moment a black bar.

Thanks for the heads up re repair, I wasn't aware that the plasmas were repairable. I will give Pioneer a call tomorrow.

My condolences. Pioneer kuro are great sets.
I still have mine and have so for 10 years. Still no urge to get anything else that's new on the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Sadly mine is only 7 years old. I'm in mourning, the amount of research ahead of me is going to be very frustrating - it was so simple with the Kuro.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

Sadly mine is only 7 years old. I'm in mourning, the amount of research ahead of me is going to be very frustrating - it was so simple with the Kuro.

I feel your pain.

My Pro Calibrated KRP 500M is 8 years old and I absolutely DREAD the day it packs up!!!!

There is STILL nothing out there that I would prefer.

Please let us know how things pan out.

Good Luck

Edited by JohnL
1 person likes this

[mention=125306]:) al[/mention]The black bar on the LHS just appeared (a bit like a bar chart). Turned on the TV and changed channels one moment it was perfect and the next moment a black bar.

Thanks for the heads up re repair, I wasn't aware that the plasmas were repairable. I will give Pioneer a call tomorrow.

There is a non working Kuro for sale here. The seller has been quoted over 3K for a replacement panel. So yeah, everything is repairable ( at a price)

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

Well, at some point it has to go……………

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Sime said:

Well, at some point it has to go……………

Even though I know that, I was still hoping for at least another 3 years. Perhaps a TV would be as good in that time frame - that is a big perhaps. 

Even though I know that, I was still hoping for at least another 3 years. Perhaps a TV would be as good in that time frame - that is a big perhaps. 

By all accounts Panasonic's VT series Plasma was as good as the Kuro before it was discontinued. Much more recent than your Kuro. Maybe you could look for one of them second hand.

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

4 people like this

Use black gaffer tape to cover that LHS to hide that black bar.  :P

3 people like this

Just go and buy a OLED, you'll forget about the Kuro within an hour :love

2 people like this

26 minutes ago, Sime said:

Just go and buy a OLED, you'll forget about the Kuro within an hour :love

This debate could get uglier than the great cable debate. Everyone knows that the Kuro is the best and not yet equalled.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

This debate could get uglier than the great cable debate. Everyone knows that the Kuro is the best and not yet equalled.

and the thing to keep in mind if yours is 7-8 years old you are looking at the very last of the kuros the gen 9 which was last and the best infact it had features built in from what was going to be the gen 10 but pio pulled up stumps...

OLED I see as the only comparison these days. but its not fully bedded. am not sure a panel to replace will last out the 7-8 years or 10 years people are seeing with kuros either. they really down build them like they used to ! 

1 person likes this

@Nap250 don't agree, but yes, a debate it could be. 

24 minutes ago, :) al said:

am not sure a panel to replace will last out the 7-8 years or 10 years people are seeing with kuros either. they really down build them like they used to !

Lucky if you get 5 years out of a panel these days...

TVs are stupidly cheap now as we know, get off the plasma train and go with the new tech as it gets released. 

New tv every two years, why not. 

Find out repair costs, otherwise there are a few choices;

- Panasonic VT plasma second-hand

- OLED; LG available now, Sony & Panasonic "coming soon"

- Panasonic DX900 LCD

2 people like this

I recently went from a pro cal Panasonic GT 55" to a Sony KDL 55W650D not calibrated and am very, very happy with the result.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Problem is the KURO was a well bedded and proven design, the suggested replacement, a OLED by either LG or SONY [moot since Sony uses LG panels], is that the OLED is not yet a proven design, and OLED longevity is not yet known.......looking at posts about Black bars appearing on new OLEDs, and the pokery trickery used to make the panels seem Blacker than they actually are by setting them to have a high Blue cast, which boost the Whites to make them appear brighter than they actually are, they are doing that because OLED just can't be as bright as LCD [see the ISF calibration thread of before/after ]

OLED looks impressive, but I'm not convinced of long term reliability, and at the prices being asked, I'd rather spend the same amount on a top of the range UHD capable LCD/LED.

Hey, but that's just me.....to each their own.

Edited by Tweaky
2 people like this

35 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

I recently went from a pro cal Panasonic GT 55" to a Sony KDL 55W650D not calibrated and am very, very happy with the result.

How is it with sport?

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

How is it with sport?

Very good mate, I checked that out closely because sport gets a good run.  No ghosting at all, which I am very surprised with TBO.

Edited by Kaynin

1 hour ago, Sime said:

TVs are stupidly cheap now as we know, get off the plasma train and go with the new tech as it gets released. 

New tv every two years, why not. 

Call me old fashioned but I like that my Kuro is still going strong.

In these days of a throw away society it's great to have a TV that can last 10 years and still has a great picture.

I still feel no urge to replace mine.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Very good mate, I checked that out closely because sport gets a good run.  No ghosting at all, which I am very surprised with TBO.

What about pixelation close literally 20 cms away.

I find that annoying with my current LG led.

1 person likes this

@Martykt ahh, but at some point…………

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rx7rotary
      Item: Pioneer SA-8500II - 1976
      Price: $700.00
      Item Condition: immaculate 
      Reason for selling: downsizing collection
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

The Integrated Amplifier which pursued high-quality sound-ization, such as adopting 2 power transformers of a right-and-left independency in order to improve a dynamic behavior. 

While having adopted a differential, a three-step hardwired-connection final-stage Class-A operation, pure complimentary SEPP, and positive/negative 2 power source of the first rank as an equalizer part and aiming at a distorted reduction,The modification of a property is aimed at by using the NFB element (±1% of an error, the nichrome vapor-deposition metal film resistor of temperature characteristic±50 part per million/c, styrene capacitor of ±2% of an error) selected carefully. Moreover, the improvement in an SN ratio was aimed at by selecting carefully and adopting especially a low-noise transistor as the first rank differential amplifier, and 250mV of maximum permissible inputs have been obtained by supplying the voltage of ±25V to a circuitry.  In order to demonstrate the performance of various cartridges, the circuit changing switch from which four kinds of cartridge load capacity can be chosen is carried. The load capacity which was suitable for the using cartridge by this can be set up. 

The two-step hardwired-connection flat amplifier of a control part chooses the operating point as the linear area of a transistor by making the first rank into a differential amplification, and is aiming at the distorted reduction. Moreover, the tone control has adopted the 3 steps of turnover switching. 
      It is adopted as a control knob with the click stop which is easy to use, and also also has the tone on-off switchpoint.  The attenuator type of 32 steps is adopted as a volume, and there is little gang error between right-and-left channels as less than 0.5dB, and it also serves as indicated value of the panel side with an error of less than ±0.5dB. Furthermore, it has a muting lever of -20dB, and more delicate volume control is possible. 

The circuitry of the power amplifier part consists of a 2 steps of ±2 powering and differentials amplification current mirror circuitry, a final-stage parallel push pull, and a pure complimentary OCL circuitry. 
      The dual transistor where the property was stabilized is used for the differential-amplification part of the first rank, and it is reducing the eventh harmonic content by considering a pre driver or later as a push pull drive while making the pre-driver stage into a current mirror circuitry, applying sufficient NFB and reducing distortion. The good chimney style radiator of the heat-dissipation effect is adopted as a heat dissipation. 

The power-source part had adopted two power transformers and the capacitor of 10,000 micro Fx4, eliminated the cross interferencee between channels in the power-source part, and has improved the channel separation.  The protection network consists of quick electronic circuitries of a power relay and a response. 
      Moreover, the it1 sound at the time of power activation is also eliminated. Functionalities, such as a separation termination of a preamplifier and power amplifier, a two-line tapes monitor and a loudness contour, a low cut (subsonic speed), and a high cut-off filter, are carried. 

Form Stereo Integrated Amplifier <Power amplifier part> Circuit system 2 steps of differentials whole page hardwired-connection parallel PP pure complimentary OCL Effective output 
      (Both channel drive, 20Hz - 20kHz) 75W+75W (4ohm) 
      60W+60W (8ohm) THD (20Hz - 20kHz) 0.05% (at the time of an effective output) 
      0.01% (at the time of 30W output 8ohm) 
      0.01% (at the time of 1W output 8ohm) Cross modulation distortion (50Hz:7kHz=4:1) 0.05% (at the time of an effective output) 
      0.01% (at the time of 30W output 8ohm) 
      0.01% (at the time of 1W output 8ohm) Output bandwidth (IHF, both channel drive) 5Hz - 45kHz (0.05% of distortion) Frequency characteristic 5Hz-100kHz+0 -1 dB Input sensitivity/impedance Power amp in: 1V/50kohm Output-terminal Speaker A-B: 4ohm-16ohm 
      Speaker A+B: 8ohm-16ohm 
      Headphone: 4ohms - 16ohms Dumping factor 30 (20Hz - 20kHz, 8ohm) S/N 110dB (IHF, A network, a short circuit) <Preamplifier part> Circuit system Equalizer-amplifier part: 3 steps of first rank differentials hardwired-connection Class-A SEPP 
      Tone control part: 2 steps of first rank differentials hardwired-connection flat amplifier, 
      3 steps of turnover switching NFB type tone Input sensitivity/impedance Phono1, 2:2.5mV/50kohm 
      Cartridge load capacity: 100pF, 200pF, 300pF, 400pF (Phono1 and 2) 
      Tuner, Aux, Tape play1, 2:150mV / 50kohm Phono maximum permissible input Phono1, 2:250mV (1kHz, 0.05% of THD) An Output voltage/impedance Tape rec1, 2:150mV 
      Pre out: 1V/2kohm, 6V/2kohm (max) THD (20Hz - 20kHz) 0.02% (1V output) 
      0.1% (6V output) Frequency characteristic Phono: 20Hz-20kHz±0.2dB 
      Tuner, Aux, and Tape play:5Hz-50kHz+0 -1 dB Tone control Bass: ±10dB (25Hz, 50Hz, 100Hz) 
      Turnover frequency: 100Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz Treble: ±10dB (8kHz, 16kHz, 32kHz) 
      Turnover frequency: 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz Filter Low: 15Hz, 6dB / oct 
      High: 8kHz, 6dB / oct Loudness contour 
      (Volume -40dB) +6dB(100Hz) 
      +3dB(10kHz) Muting -20dB S/N (IHF, A network) 
      Short circuit Phono:75dB 
      Tuner, Aux, Tape play: 95dB <Synthesis> The semiconductor used Transistor: 47 pieces 
      Diode,others: 27 pieces AC outlet Power-switch interlock: Two lines 
      Power-switch un-interlocking.: Two lines Supply voltage AC100V, 50Hz/60Hz Power consumption 150W (Electrical Appliance and Material Control Law) 
      410W (maxima) Dimensions Width 420x height 150x depth of 376mm Weight 13.8kg
       Pictures:

• By Rxw
      Item: Pioneer SC-LX81
      Price: $750ono
      Item Condition: As new (apart from small scatch on face plate as pictured)
      Reason for selling: Upgraded
      Extra Info:

Selling my Pioneer SC-LX81 as I've upgraded. Comes with everything pictured plus the original manual and its working as it was brand new, no faults or problems. Manual states 190W/ch, network capability (DLNA, vTuner, etc) and all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a hi end AVR. Also has MCACC Room correction.

Unfortunately I do not have the box but i'm willing to pack it meticulously and send photos of the pack job before posting.

Review:
      http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/receivers/pioneer-sc-lx81-532595/review

Any questions please feel free to contact me. 

Pictures:

• By burraga
      Item: Pioneer HMP-150
      Price: $2,250 ONO
      Item Condition: Very Good
      Reason for selling: To downsize my vintage equipment.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, EFT
      Extra Info:
      These were top of the line in their day. Speakers are in very good, original condition. Everything works as it should and they sound fantastic! The foam surrounds for the woofers were replaced by Steve at Queensland Speaker Repairs in Nov last year. The crossovers and all drivers were checked at the same time. There is sun bleaching or fading on the side of one of the speakers. This can also be seen on the fabric of the speaker grille. There are minor bumps and marks inline with their age. Original Operating Guide and Brochure are also included. Pick up is preferred but freight can be organised at buyers expense.

Pictures:

• By countcrisp
      Item: Pioneer PL - 6A idler Drive Turntable Early 1960's
      Price:  $599
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Clearing House
      Extra Info:
      Here is my Pioneer PL- 6A in excellent condition. All is in working order and all original. Have had it for over 10 years and was purchased in the US.
      It has a US plug but can plug straight in Aust plug with adapter as turntable is dual voltage.

Pictures:

• By danter
      Item: Pioneer SA7500 II
      Price: $250
      Item Condition: Very good
      Reason for selling:
      Extra Info:
      This is the very hard to find MKII version of the Pioneer SA7500. 45wpc. All outputs and controls working, but this has not been touched or serviced in many years. Smaller footprint than the original SA7500. Great example from Pioneers 'silver era'. Pots could do with a bit of a clean.

Pictures: