Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

33 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Well, we have to thank Andrew for that, but I have frequently said that he's a lot brighter than he looks...emoji2.png

I really don't understand why people say I look so stoopid

Related image

Have read the last few pages with interest.

Not really convinced about the need for vacuuming after ultrasonic ,as long as you are changing the water frequently or are using  a filter.

IMO it smacks of Hi Fi related excessive compulsiveness. 

But whatever floats your boat.:)

• Like 1

Not really convinced about the need for vacuuming after ultrasonic ,as long as you are changing the water frequently or are using  a filter.

LOL - and cleaning records in a custom-designed Ultrasonic bath doesn't..?[emoji3]

Of course it's excessive compulsiveness but also gets better results (IMHO) and speeds up the process so at least it's rewarded.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So impressed was I with @Y B and @ABG impressions of the Record Doctor V vacuum machine, I bought one at LWA about an hour ago. One way or another I want to be on this boat. :P

This together with my US cleaning machine coming from Poland should take care of my records cleaning needs.... I hope.

20170907_203917.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

But whatever floats your boat.:)

Believe what you like - it's a free world!  :P

But perhaps take advice from people who have 'walked the walk'!  An ultrasonic cleaner gets the sh*t out of the grooves.  So where does this sh*t go ... obviously, into solution.  So the sh*t/cleaning liquid mixture is in the grooves when you take the wet LP out of the solution.  Using a vacuum cleaner removes the liquid/sh*t mixture from the grooves - so you end up with dry & clean grooves.

If you don't do this (vacuum it dry) ... the liquid evaporates and leaves the sh*t in the grooves.  This is evidenced by a non-quiet listening experience.

However, if you use a 1 micron filter - taking the liquid out of the tank, passing it through the pump and the filter then returning it to the tank - you don't have any sh*t in the liquid.  Hence, when the LP dries ... you have clean grooves (and no listening noise).

Andy

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

So impressed was I with @Y B and @ABG impressions of the Record Doctor V vacuum machine, I bought one at LWA about an hour ago. One way or another I want to be on this boat. :P

This together with my US cleaning machine coming from Poland should take care of my records cleaning needs.... I hope.

20170907_203917.jpg

Oh boy, you've got it bad.  I foresee the word TechDas appearing in your posts in the Show Us Your Turntables thread before too long...

17 minutes ago, ABG said:

Oh boy, you've got it bad.  I foresee the word TechDas appearing in your posts in the Show Us Your Turntables thread before too long...

Vacuum cleaner is one thing. TechDas means I have to sell Finn. When he gives me this look I just can't do it .......  How will I tell the family that the poodle is gone?

20170608_182954.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, andyr said:

However, if you use a 1 micron filter - taking the liquid out of the tank, passing it through the pump and the filter then returning it to the tank - you don't have any sh*t in the liquid.  Hence, when the LP dries ... you have clean grooves (and no listening noise).

I think we may be in agreement @andyr

I am convinced of the need for changing the water frequently or using  a filter during the cleaning , just not the need to then vacuum.

Filter is much cheaper than a vacuum and saves an extra process.

If I am in a hurry I direct a portable fan on my drying rack and the records dry in minutes.

9 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

What cheap drying rack do you all use?

dishes dryer rack will do.

I use two Brevile bread cutter racks that I found at a garage sale for $2 each.

Had to slightly alter them to keep the records from rolling out but they work.

58a3659731522_rack1.thumb.jpg.4d122d3020c794d30856f8321b4af9ca.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

I think we may be in agreement @andyr

Possibly - but, as you know, the devil is in the detail!  ;)

I am convinced of the need for changing the water frequently or using  a filter during the cleaning , just not the need to then vacuum.

Filter is much cheaper than a vacuum and saves an extra process.

Absolutely!  But just changing the water frequently is not sufficient, IMO.  I also wanted to save the step of a vacuum dry - but I found this was only feasible when I used a 1 micron filter ... rather than a "standard" aquarium filter.

If I am in a hurry I direct a portable fan on my drying rack and the records dry in minutes.

Good idea!  I use a "Dryer Cube" from ultrasonicrecords.com.

Andy

• Like 1

On 06/09/2017 at 9:15 PM, Odyssey said:

Thanks @ABG for the very detail explanation. I had a quick look at decibel hifi where both the Record Doctor V and Okki Nokki are sold and there are pictures there to visualise how it works. Their prices are quite far apart. :)

You'd want to purchase one pretty quick as the Record Doctor is/was made by Nitty Gritty for Audio Advisor and as of last month, Nitty Gritty has announced that they have closed down (https://www.analogplanet.com/content/nitty-gritty-closes-its-doors). Owners of NGs have said that they have not been able to get their NGs serviced for a couple of months now. So I would be looking at the Okki Nokki if long term availability of parts is a concern for you.

Edited by Sir Triode

5 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I ain't worried. LWA will fix any problems I may have with the Record Doctor V. ?

I don't see how they can unless someone takes over the Nitty Gritty business and continues making parts. The Record Doctor was made by NG for a third party business called Audio Advisor. If down the line (God forbid) something in your Record Doctor goes south, LWA (who ever they are) will not be able to source the necessary parts from NG to replace it.

LWA is Len Wallis Audio. I bought the Record Doctor V from them. I have full confidence in them looking after me during the warranty period. If they can't get it repaired they will do something else. Outside of warranty is another matter. I can't get overly worried too far in the future. ?

I'm very impressed with LWA for repairing my Rega RP8 TTPSU power connector free of charge even though I did not buy it from them.

• Like 3

This thread has been a great read.

A word of caution to Record Doc owners, just take time to give the machine frequent breaks in cleaning. I've had two Record doctors and they have both got quite warm after use especially around the spindle - this was perhaps after cleaning 10-15 albums on the unit.

The warm spindle could cause a temporary warp to albums - the warp seemed to disappear once the album sat for a few mins on the drying rack.

Drew

• Like 1

Thanks Drew. I don't clean all my records at one go. I pick up an old record that I buy from BeatDisc Records (I don't have many old records as most of my records are new) and clean it on the RDV and I play it on the TT straight away. That's the beauty of it. No waiting for it to be dry because the vacuum dries it completely. 

.. and viola Dennis's old 'Mantovani and His Orchestra' sounds very much quieter and pop free now.... well almost. So I reckon doing a US clean first followed by RDV would produce much greater results indeed.

2 hours ago, astormsau said:

This thread has been a great read.

A word of caution to Record Doc owners, just take time to give the machine frequent breaks in cleaning. I've had two Record doctors and they have both got quite warm after use especially around the spindle - this was perhaps after cleaning 10-15 albums on the unit.

The warm spindle could cause a temporary warp to albums - the warp seemed to disappear once the album sat for a few mins on the drying rack.

Drew

Good advice Drew.  When I first bought my RDV, I used to clean like a man possessed and noticed the same thing.  These days, I clean as I listen and I rarely get to listen to any more than a handful of records.  I'm also fortunate that my cleaners are in a separate room, so I can clean the next album in the queue while the current one is playing.  As a result, I no longer have any issues with my RDV getting hot and bothered.

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Thanks Drew. I don't clean all my records at one go. I pick up an old record that I buy from BeatDisc Records (I don't have many old records as most of my records are new) and clean it on the RDV and I play it on the TT straight away. That's the beauty of it. No waiting for it to be dry because the vacuum dries it completely. 

.. and viola Dennis's old 'Mantovani and His Orchestra' sounds very much quieter and pop free now.... well almost. So I reckon doing a US clean first followed by RDV would produce much greater results indeed.

What does it cost?