Kii Audio Owners and Discussion Thread

Guest Misterioso

It would be interesting to compare the KiiThree to Genelec 8260 and 8351. The 8260 are probably comparable in terms of pricing. The KiiThree has the "Active Wave Focusing" (reducing the amount of bass waves reflecting backwards), while the Genelec feature automatic calibration to your room. But I guess Kii is working on such an automatic calibration solution as well for the KiiThree. These three speakers certainly show what digital processing (DSP) can do. 

• 2 years later...

Attention Kii Owners - Sticky Section

Adding a sticky section at the opening of this Owner's Thread thread (that doesn't belong to this post but we wanted to get it up the front).

At the bottom of this post is a PDF of the Kii Review Compilation 2015 - 2019 that comes with more recent Kii deliveries.  Some excellent feel good and technical reading..

Happy reading.

Gibbo

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, back to the original post

There seem to be a couple of others here, so might as well have an area to share thoughts.

Here is my starter.  If anyone else feels like the Kii Controller could do with something to sit on that gives it a little more angle, the stands for Audio Engine 2+ speakers are just the right size.

Gibbo

IMG20191112160727.thumb.jpg.98b439b34764b2e6140b7d68bcb78acc.jpg

Kii_Compilation_2015-2019_V2.pdf

Edited by gibbo9000
Added an Intro and document
  • Like 5

Some basic measurements 'in room', no treatments and some real world obstacles.  Listening room is quite large (10m x 5m).  Have found speakers best with just a little toe in, but wide of pointing to centre at listening position.  Both speakers are positioned with side drivers just in front of the wooden cabinet.  With all controls left neutral (so no Boundary adjustments and Contour flat) and using REW with Umik-1 below is what I get as On Axis response, and then in Listen position facing forward.  You can see what each is from the Label in the top left of the Legend at the bottom.  Left has slightly exacerbated bottom end from its 'corner' position, but that is very simply fixed with -4 on left speaker Boundary setting.

Gibbo

ListenSml.jpg

L - On Axis.pngR - On Axis.pngL - Listen.pngR - Listen.png

Edited by gibbo9000
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

A few days ago Kii Audio has finally released the firmware update tool. 

The link has been up and down, but some owners have successfully used it.

Functionally the main differences are the addition of BlueTooth input to the Control and higher volume levels on the speakers. Full list of changes has not been published.

For those interested: please keep checking the Support menu on the Kii Audio page - hopefully the link will be available again soon.

• Like 2

Here are mine.

Very happy with them so far. Currently using a CD Transport and a Sony HAP-Z1ES streamer/server. I am pondering whether I need to upgrade the server, it sounds pretty good though, so I am in no rush.

I have not changed much in the settings yet, mainly as I have the BXT’s coming soon and will play with the settings when the system is complete.

I have probably listened to mine for around 50 hrs, and they have perhaps become a little smoother, I have been told they do a fairly long soak in (run in) period in the factory, so not sure if they will run in much more.

9BD5096B-C1C9-48CC-9252-A94E7D815436.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, frednork said:

@gibbo9000 Thanks for the plots! can you please tell us what smoothing is applied and just also confirm if it is a sweep or rta. Also if possible could you show the waterfall plot at listening position.

RTA plots using pink noise.  RTA settings: 1/48 Octave and FFT Length 65536.  Measurements over about 40 averages with Mic moved around listening area at ear height.

Didn't look at waterfall.  Have just lent my Mic to a fellow SNA'r to calibrate his home theatre set up, so will take a look when it comes back again.

9 hours ago, PleasantSounds said:

A few days ago Kii Audio has finally released the firmware update tool. 

The link has been up and down, but some owners have successfully used it.

Functionally the main differences are the addition of BlueTooth input to the Control and higher volume levels on the speakers. Full list of changes has not been published.

For those interested: please keep checking the Support menu on the Kii Audio page - hopefully the link will be available again soon.

Where did you find the detail on what the V2 firmware actually changes? I found the support page, but apart from showing how to do the upgrade is there a doc anywhere explaining changes?

Re bluetooth, sorry if its simply self explanatory, but will that mean we can for example bluetooth a tune via bluetooth from your phone? Or lets say i'm looking at something on my laptop and want to pipe the audio through to the kii's i'll be able to do it that way?

Thanks for the info!

19 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

Where did you find the detail on what the V2 firmware actually changes? I found the support page, but apart from showing how to do the upgrade is there a doc anywhere explaining changes?

Re bluetooth, sorry if its simply self explanatory, but will that mean we can for example bluetooth a tune via bluetooth from your phone? Or lets say i'm looking at something on my laptop and want to pipe the audio through to the kii's i'll be able to do it that way?

Thanks for the info!

I was lucky enough to check the page when it was up, so I got the update. 

Connecting bluetooth is fairly easy: just turn on scanning for new devices and Kii comes up. Pairing does not require any pin numbers. After that, you can redirect the output from your phone to the Kii control and it will play.

If your laptop has bluetooth it should work as well. I have tried foobar2000 and it works fine.

• Like 2

On 22/12/2019 at 6:48 PM, gibbo9000 said:

RTA plots using pink noise.  RTA settings: 1/48 Octave and FFT Length 65536.  Measurements over about 40 averages with Mic moved around listening area at ear height.

Didn't look at waterfall.  Have just lent my Mic to a fellow SNA'r to calibrate his home theatre set up, so will take a look when it comes back again.

Ok thanks, Dont think RTA's will give you a waterfall. You will need to do a sweep for that.

• 1 month later...

Just noticed the long awaited Firmware Update is now available at http://kiiaudio.helpdocsonline.com/update-tool

Looks pretty straightforward - need to create some time this evening to make it happen.

Also looks like they have updated this page with some instructions on the new firmware functionality:  http://kiiaudio.helpdocsonline.com/untitled-4-2

Happy upgrading!  Really feels weird upgrading firmware on speakers.

Gibbo

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Boy, I wish I hadn't rushed to update the firmware  - it didn't work and now I can 't use my speakers.  The update process failed and the controller no longer functions properly (although it does ask my to update the system. Very helpful). The updater sends an error log to Kii Audio so hopefully they can help me out.

17 minutes ago, Prince Arnold said:

The update process failed and the controller no longer functions properly (although it does ask my to update the system. Very helpful)

Ouch - the worst possible outcome.  Sorry to hear that.

Have you tried starting the process over again?  That seems to be the recommendation on the install notes.  At what stage did it stop? 

I was about to write some notes on my experience.  From memory the Controller seems to show that message after it has been updated (happens first) and before it has been rebooted (install program asks you to remove all wiring to remove power).  After that it set about updating the speakers (at least for mine anyway). 

Hope you get it sorted, or they are responsive if you can't.

Putting aside Prince Arnold's unfortunate experience, my update succeeded.  A few notes on how it went.

• I am on Win 10, and the update app loaded quickly and is very simple interface.  USB connection from PC to Controller is all that is needed.
  • When you ask update to start it updates the Controller first and, when completed, asks you to reboot it.  For the Controller that involves removing any wiring it can get power from (USB, Network cables to Speakers etc.) so it shuts down, and then plugging back in.
  • Then it updates the speakers one at a time, and on each speaker updates the PIC (up to 3.8) and DSP software (up to 4.8) along with restarting them a couple of times (it does this without any user help).
  • Whole process took about 10 minutes.

It took about 10 minutes and I would have said pretty slick until Prince Arnold experience (glad to see now sorted).  It did remove the config settings I had in place.  Still sounds great!

A few top line changes:

• Contour is now called Tone Control
  • Advanced Settings are now moved under a new Pro Settings menu that has all the advanced functionality described in the documentation
  • I haven't tried Bluetooth (and doubt I will)

Hope it goes well for others.

Gibbo

Edited by gibbo9000
  • Like 4

I've been checking every now and then for the firmware update to go live, so thanks to all for the heads up!

• Besides the main changes (Bluetooth & Filters), is there any capacity to adjust the volume via bluetooth/iPhone? I find it a little antiquated to use an infrared remote when i've been used to an iPhone app for years with my Devialet. Not meaning to sound snooty but it would be great to have the ability to adjust the volume from anywhere in the house...

Has anyone had an issue with their Kii Control where the narrow rubber/grip around the volume dial comes away? I turned the remote gently last night to fire up the speakers and the slim rubber surround simply came away from the dial...

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg