Stylus pic (USB Microscope)

Guest Misterioso

Guest Misterioso
19 hours ago, Willco said:

You need a Dino-Lite with this version for tha

Just had a short look, there seems to be plenty of software available that allows one to measure angles in jpg or pdf files. I will investigate further.

Last night I purchased one of these:  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172059676730?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  A much cheaper version than the Andonstar but basically the same thing. I have six carts now and it will be excellent for close inspection of styli, particularly my Grace Level ll RC, which I suspect may be a bit worn now after fairly constant use ('cos I LOVE it:P) over the past 9 months or so. :thumb:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevoz said:

Last night I purchased one of these:  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172059676730?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  A much cheaper version than the Andonstar but basically the same thing. I have six carts now and it will be excellent for close inspection of styli, particularly my Grace Level ll RC, which I suspect may be a bit worn now after fairly constant use ('cos I LOVE it:P) over the past 9 months or so. :thumb:

Mmmm, if you read the posts on this thread ... I think you will not be able judge wear - ie. when you need to replace the stylus.  So counting the sides is probably the easiest option.  ' Clickers' cost about $3 on FleaBay - so you can afford to buy 6.  :P

I use 2,800 sides = ~1,000 hours.

Andy

Edited by andyr

Hi Owen,

Well frankly my only usage is with the ones in the Website above posted-with the accompanying Software--I would say none of them however will suffice for usage determining lifespan/ retipping/etc accurately----- with emphasis on the Accuracy!.

To ascertain the latter you need the Shure Microscope ( or Similar) for that.

The DinoXcopes will do SRA with on file calibrated printouts no problems 

Good Luck,

Willco

• Like 1

The scope arrived today and I took some pic's. The 'snap' function wasn't working so I had to take shots with my phone of the laptop screen, so resolution isn't great but you should get the idea. It's a great little device, very handy. I'll start with a slight horror story, I had always suspected my Grace F8L wasn't quite right and this was confirmed big time....;)20170330_200230.thumb.jpg.008a39d35b8909d9912d9cd24df2e17a.jpgNext is my Denon DL103 after cleaning with 'sticky hands' and stylus fluid. As you can see in the third shot, it was rather dirty. :P

20170330_194354.thumb.jpg.0bc07703747b620b753a311239e1cbf6.jpgBelow is the before of the DL103, after it must have been played on a dirty 'new' 2nd hand LP purchase! How good are 'sticky hands'?! :P  Last shot is my Grace Level ll RC, my pride and joy.:love Wear on this is minimal.......:thumb:20170330_192738.thumb.jpg.5c23b7f4929366a66d1c6e496b545288.jpg20170330_182744.thumb.jpg.40ca5a1853a5f38b9e68a9ef9c60ff80.jpg

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

Guest Misterioso
6 hours ago, stevoz said:

The 'snap' function wasn't working 

I have exactly the same problem. I used screen shots. These pics are quite useful to see which cart needs cleaning or disposal (Grace). Good job!

On 3/31/2017 at 0:28 AM, stevoz said:

I had always suspected my Grace F8L wasn't quite right and this was confirmed big time..

Yikes that snapped?

On 3/31/2017 at 0:28 AM, stevoz said:

Below is the before of the DL103, after it must have been played on a dirty 'new' 2nd hand LP purchase! How good are 'sticky hands'?!

Amazes me how much crap is in used record. Even one pass or vacuum cleaning still leaves some crap

BTW what's everyone's favorite cleaning method now? I used to like the magic eraser way with my ortofon black. But now using lyra dorian it doesn't work well so I start using lyra's carbon fibre brush which work much better

5 hours ago, mloutfie said:

Yikes that snapped?

Amazes me how much crap is in used record. Even one pass or vacuum cleaning still leaves some crap

Cracked at least, virtually snapped.....definitely unusable;). I bought the F8L as it came with an extra NOS F8C stylus. I have an F8C and was desperate to get a new genuine stylus for it, so had to get the F8L as well. The seller said the F8L stylus was fine, but as soon as I got it, I could see the cantilever looked to have a deviation. I attempted to straighten it with some 'micro tools' but it never sounded quite right.....I may have made it worse or it may have come that way but it was never ok, and it's easy to see why! :P It's a pity because the diamond looks fine. :(   .....and you're right about some 2nd hand records, they can be filthy......straight to the Revirginizing platter!!:)

Edited by stevoz

Steve, I used to run one of these when I was at RMIT, Hitachi S520 SEM up until early 2000's

https://picclick.com/Hitachi-S-520-Scanning-Electron-Microscope-SEM-Vacuum-TSK-310391896582.html

probably cost $50k +

when new in the early 80's!

back then the Garrot Bros came in and it took excellent profile shots of their Weinz parabolic stylus at 500 - 1000 x

the beauty of SEM is that you're using an electron beam and you get amazing depth of field at those magnifications,

though a bit bulky compared to a USB mic!

regards Iab

2 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

Steve, I used to run one of these when I was at RMIT, Hitachi S520 SEM up until early 2000's

https://picclick.com/Hitachi-S-520-Scanning-Electron-Microscope-SEM-Vacuum-TSK-310391896582.html

probably cost $50k +

when new in the early 80's!

back then the Garrot Bros came in and it took excellent profile shots of their Weinz parabolic stylus at 500 - 1000 x

the beauty of SEM is that you're using an electron beam and you get amazing depth of field at those magnifications,

though a bit bulky compared to a USB mic!

regards Iab

Wow! Serious magnification! Have you got any of those Garrott Bros shots still? They would be interesting.;)

17 hours ago, stevoz said:

Wow! Serious magnification! Have you got any of those Garrott Bros shots still? They would be interesting.;)

Steve, have to go through my boxes... and boxes of photos! 500 - 1000x is an SEM in idle mode, 100,000x is no sweat.

Here's how an SEM works

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanning_electron_microscope#Magnification

gets pretty tech, still with me?

regards Ian

Guest Misterioso
On 26 March 2017 at 11:49 AM, Misterioso said:

Ok, I bought one of these USB microscope thingies with the aim to correctly set the SRA of my new cart. To get familiar with the microscope, I took a picture of the stylus of a used Benz Micro Glider SL cart. See below. What I am missing is experience in judging such pictures, I simply have not done this before. How does the condition of this stylus look to you?

Glider SL.jpg

After a few strokes with a paintbrush dipped in methylated spirit:

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 3.20.29 PM.png

Guest Misterioso

Today I installed a new cartridge. I used the USB microscope to check whether SRA is in the right ballpark. Looks like it (without being scientific, of course).

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 1.36.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 1.37.24 PM.png

Edited by Misterioso

• 2 weeks later...