Stylus pic (USB Microscope)

Guest Misterioso

Guest Misterioso

Ok, I bought one of these USB microscope thingies with the aim to correctly set the SRA of my new cart. To get familiar with the microscope, I took a picture of the stylus of a used Benz Micro Glider SL cart. See below. What I am missing is experience in judging such pictures, I simply have not done this before. How does the condition of this stylus look to you?

Glider SL.jpg

Ok, I bought one of these USB microscope thingies with the aim to correctly set the SRA of my new cart. To get familiar with the microscope, I took a picture of the stylus of a used Benz Micro Glider SL cart. See below. What I am missing is experience in judging such pictures, I simply have not done this before. How does the condition of this stylus look to you?

58d70fe0efc10_GliderSL.jpg.3be8e77eb8470f2c3103919a72d937b0.jpg

I have no idea if that's good or bad, but it raises the question as to how to clean it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Misterioso
9 minutes ago, Unsound said:

I have no idea if that's good or bad, but it raises the question as to how to clean it?

Indeed, I have the same question. I always used Zerodust but after seeing this picture I am no longer sure I should continue doing this.

It's a nude stylus. Heavily encrusted with crud. You need a liquid Cleaner. Shure recommends ethanol and water mix. Straight ethanol or metholated spirits is fine. Apply to a watercolour painting brush. Wipe from back to front. You will need to wipe lots! 

If that's your maximum magnification setting, it's not enough to check for stylus wear, though to me I suspect it's a bit worn.

with that much crud, it's safe to say it's been used a lot.

Edited by eltech
  • Like 1

Guest Misterioso

Thanks, I guess I still can get closer but I am still learning. And I noticed that I need to be alone in the house do take such pictures to avoid even the smallest vibrations.

@Misterioso  Thanks for posting .

I am very interested to see how the stylus looks after a clean and you get more experienced with the camera.

It would be good if this camera was able to show if a stylus is worn, as I have a few old carts that sound great but I am not sure of the condition of the stylus.

Guest Misterioso
40 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

@Misterioso  Thanks for posting .

I am very interested to see how the stylus looks after a clean and you get more experienced with the camera.

I will post a picture after cleaning.

For the time being I have decided not to use the Onzow Zerodust anymore.

Actually that is not a bad shot of a stylus if you are limited to using a USB microscope. It shows a microscanner or microridge style tip  and the area  that matters ,is  reasonably clean. To be able to inspect  a stylus for actual wear requires the use of a more expensive optical microscope such as a metallurgical instrument or a stereoscopic type  with sufficient magnification for the task.

13 hours ago, Graceman said:

You can see how difficult it is to identify wear here:

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=577.300

Yes indeed.

Firstly when you consider that the groove contact width might be only 1/10 of the diam of a cantilever, you can see that one needs to examine the very tip of the stylus.

I have an old Olympus binocular lab scope, with 40x to 1000x magnif but, even with good lighting (essential), it is not easy to examine a 3D object like a stylus.

Also, no image capture, unless you have a camera adapter rig.

I'm keen to play with a digital scope, however, if I can find a decent & affordable one.

@Misterioso - a problem with using a scope to set SRA/VTA is that many hi end carts have stylii that are not cut symmetrical - so, unless you have real good magnif & resolution, simply measuring the angle of the stylus shank will not give you what you want - the angle of the contact patch.  I'm keen to use a scope to study stylus wear, but for SRA/VTA.... always trust your ears I say! ;) 

Cheers, Owen

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

21 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Glider SL.jpg

Rooted!  :D

Here's a pic (taken at x60) of my Stanton WOS CS100, after it came back from Expert Stylus re-tipping.  :thumb:

Andy

Stanton WOS CS100 After Retip at 60x.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

This one:

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/171182470551?_mwbanner=1

I chose this one because of the swan neck. The picture was sharpened in Lightroom.

That looks excellent, with stand, flexi neck & in-built LED light. And good price.

Resolution looks OK.

Your Benz image above looks to be ~200x magnif on my screen.

If you can, try to get some images from the front '3/4 angle', to illuminate the Glider's Micro Ridge profile.

Cheers, Owen

Guest Misterioso
20 minutes ago, Owen Y said:

That looks excellent, with stand, flexi neck & in-built LED light. And good price.

And software for both Mac and PC (often PC only). However, the software is very basic, one should not have high expectations at this price point.

24 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

And software for both Mac and PC (often PC only). However, the software is very basic, one should not have high expectations at this price point.

does the software have the ability to measure / show the angle of the stylus? ie to setup the SRA?

Guest Misterioso
30 minutes ago, charlie_bird said:

does the software have the ability to measure / show the angle of the stylus? ie to setup the SRA?

No.

Even when the SRA of a cantilever can be measured and set accurately, there remains the question of the cutter head and the cutting stylus being correctly set to be within the appropriate standards. Then a phenomenon called laquer springback has to be considered in the mix of obtaining a precise alignment of the cutter setup.   Fifteen degrees was a  standard in the past and it was discovered later that the effective angle  was closer to 20 degrees.

1 hour ago, charlie_bird said:

You need a Dino-Lite with this version for that

DinoXcope

Version 1.9.8 (145_2159 - Universal)

Willco

7 hours ago, Willco said:

You need a Dino-Lite with this version for that

DinoXcope

Version 1.9.8 (145_2159 - Universal)

Willco

Ok thanks. That is how I've seen it done. Is there another effective way? I assume that using the scope mentioned in the previous post you are eyeballing the result?

51 minutes ago, charlie_bird said:

Ok thanks. That is how I've seen it done. Is there another effective way? I assume that using the scope mentioned in the previous post you are eyeballing the result?

The DinoXcope USB connects to your Computer  USB input and live views the image on the screen for focus and calibration --the Dino-Lite software opens to show the degrees/etc and you can scribe(mouse) the angles and save them for later viewing.

I'm not saying this is the only, nor best solution--others may chime in with their preferences.

http://www.dino-lite.com

W

Hello @Willco - with your expertise in field of optics ;)....what magnif range would you suggest for studying stylii?

And can you suggest a good value Dinolite or other USB m'scope with decent enough resolution for this purpose, worth considering?

(I recall that Mr Fremer was using a the Dino-Lite AMT313 which does up to 200x, for US$249. Stand extra. The images looked OK for SRA/VTA, but maybe not for stylus close examination.  OTOH Wally Malewicz has produced some nice high magnif images.)

Cheers, Owen