Vienna Acoustics

Hi,

I am considering purchasing Vienna Acoustic floorstanders as I have heard good things and my missus does not like the look of my Tannoy XT8Fs. Does anybody have any experience with floor standers in the range and feedback on their experience.

Thanks Mark

We just went through the same exercise, compared a number of speakers, Dynaudio's, Focals, Elacs and VA's, I know there are plenty of other great speaker brands out there but VA's just worked for us straight away and won hands down. But what speaker we like the sound of might not be the same as you, only you can judge for yourself.

VA's from Mozart's up to Concert Grands are very easy listening speakers that won't leave your ears ringing like similar priced Focals will for example. The challenge I am having now is finding a amp that does justice to these speakers in a price range that I can afford at present.

What model VA's are you considering? 

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

There are some interesting comparisons between two floor standers in the VA range, the Beethoven Baby Grand and the Beethoven Concert Grand in a post below: 

I have owned both of these floors standers for considerable periods of time, I upgraded the BBG to the BCG about 8 months ago and haven't looked back. I agree with your assessment, to me the mid range is nicer and the BCG also create a far larger sound stage. It was like going from being at the back of the auditorium to the front seats! Bass wise the BCG perform better, adding some noticeable improvement in the ability to reproduce lower bass with a bit more impact. This is by no means over the top and still in keeping with the overall neutrality of the speakers signature sound. I've found other brands 'sparkle' in the store next to VA speakers, however when it comes to actually living with them that sparkle actually becomes their downfall, with the VA's remaining beautifully accurate but no grating in the top end. In that same vane both VA's don't produce huge bass, but in my experience the BCG do a much better job of digging the sub bass out of electronic music with a subwoofer-esque like ability. Basically, where there is super low bass you get a much better 'kick' feel from the BCG's than the BBG's.

I've ran both with Solid State and Valve gear (all McIntosh, MC275, MC302, MHA100, MA7000 & MA5200) and can say that they will punch lower with the solid state and create a bigger, but shallower sound stage. With valves you loose some of the super low end but the paring yields a beautifully rich, slightly narrower and incredibly deep soundstage which I found fantastically intimate with the BCG's if you want to listen at lower volumes. I've found the BCG's were pickier and prefer to be paired on a 4ohm tap over 8ohm, where as there was not so much difference (if any) for the BBG's. The BBC's were happy on either 8 or 4ohm.

My old man has also just recently bought a pair of new vienna acoustics haydn grand which are also quite lovely. We compared them in store to B&W and Sonos Faber of similar and slightly higher prices and preferred the haydn. 

At the end of the day - choose with your ears! It really helps to go and have a listen.

• Like 4

Had a set of original Beethovens for close to 10 years. Wonderful speakers. Sonically on the warmer side of neutral. Really sang partnered with an amp with a bit of heft. Sweet and never ever harsh treble. Top notch build quality and the veneer was in as good condition when I sold them as when I bought them.

As I write I'm wondering why on earth I sold them. Must have been the 10 year itch. Would love to own a pair of The Music.

My study system runs through a pair of Haydns. Same qualities as above.

Edited by Hergest
  • Like 1

Hi,

Yes I was thinking of getting the baby beety Gs but I am a bit worried they might have the bass required for my setup (largish room). Beautiful speakers though.

As always would really try them out at home but this is not usually a goer with most hifi retailers.

Thank Mark

Hi

A speaker on the warmer side of neutral will suit my electronics - Halcro MC20 and exogal Comet as they are very accurate and certainly dont want anything too overly clinical to partner them. I really appreciate the good build quality I had some buitiful dynaudio 110s and really regret selling them - the tannoys are very nicely made but not inthe same league.

Thanks Mark

• Like 1

The Baby Beethovens are excellent speakers and even with a biggish room would still do the job, that is as long as you have the right amp. We back to backed a set of BBG's and BCG's for a week and both had their strong points. In the end I picked the Concerts, mainly because chances are I will be keeping them for a long time and I always work on the, often proven incorrect, bigger is better principle.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Has anyone lived with a pair of 'The Music' speakers from VA?

They look great and seem to have some impressive design happening.

Haven't lived but did listen to them everyday for a while.

I know of 2 people who own them in NSW, 1 absolutely loves them and the other couldn't tell the difference between a Sonos Play 5 but he bought them because they suited the decor of his home.

I have heard them in a large and relatively small room with medium and high end Audio Research and top level Primare gear. I think kinda said before I prefer them to the Kef's. Work with many genres of music and surprisingly well with heavier music like Metallica and Tool which I would crank after closing time. 

Like pretty much every speaker in this price range they do everything very well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bunno77 said:

Haven't lived but did listen to them everyday for a while.

I know of 2 people who own them in NSW, 1 absolutely loves them and the other couldn't tell the difference between a Sonos Play 5 but he bought them because they suited the decor of his home.

I have heard them in a large and relatively small room with medium and high end Audio Research and top level Primare gear. I think kinda said before I prefer them to the Kef's. Work with many genres of music and surprisingly well with heavier music like Metallica and Tool which I would crank after closing time. 

Like pretty much every speaker in this price range they do everything very well.

If old mate the Sonos user comes to his/her senses and buy a nice trendy bookshelf or something to go where those horrific bulky speakers are, tell him/her to drop me a line. :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Leatherman (Mark) if you are still interested Class A Audio in Melbourne have discounted their stock of Vienna Acoustic speakers even further, the Beethoven Concert Grand SE's are now well priced.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1