Tiger-Paw "Tranquility" mag-lev collar for an LP12

1 minute ago, andyr said:

What's with the screwdriver on the Cirkus?  Is that how you check the depth of the oil?  If so, how do you know that the level you see (with no platter) is in fact the right level?? 

Andy

........experience....:P

I watched Harry at Audio Genesis ......then Peter Swain ....

Tase.

9 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

........experience....:P

I watched Harry at Audio Genesis ......then Peter Swain ....

Tase.

Yeah sure - I understand the usefulness of watching experts at work.  :thumb:

But did they say "the level of the oil needs to be 'x' mm below the lip of the Cirkus bearing, for it to be completely full but not overflow, when the bearing stub is fully down"?

Andy

4 minutes ago, Owen Y said:

With capillary action, you can find that the oil gets drawn up into the magnet gap - esp when the platter is stationary.

Not a problem, at least you know that  there plenty of oil in the main bearing.

Cheers, Owen

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

You've lost me there Owen....no oil will get drawn up into the magnet gap...all the oil stays or should stay within the cirkus bearing housing

Tase.

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

Yeah sure - I understand the usefulness of watching experts at work.  :thumb:

But did they say "the level of the oil needs to be 'x' mm below the lip of the Cirkus bearing, for it to be completely full but not overflow, when the bearing stub is fully down"?

Andy

this method stops overfill into or onto the subchassis.....especially a Keel. Pete was quite pedantic about overfil... 

10 drops then check....if the spindle is fully lubed when removed there is enough in there the screwdriver dip stick should show about 7mm..

Tase

2 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

this method stops overfill into or onto the subchassis.....especially a Keel. Pete was quite pedantic about overfil... 

10 drops then check....if the spindle is fully lubed when removed there is enough in there the screwdriver dip stick should show about 7mm..

Tase

Thanks, Tony.

Forget the 10 drops - as that depends on how low the oil was, to start with.  But, yes, if the spindle is fully lubed then it is great to know that the screwdriver dipstick shows about 7mm.  (But we need to use the same sized - ie. volume - screwdriver! :) )

Andy

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

Thanks, Tony.

Forget the 10 drops - as that depends on how low the oil was, to start with.  But, yes, if the spindle is fully lubed then it is great to know that the screwdriver dipstick shows about 7mm.  (But we need to use the same sized - ie. volume - screwdriver! :) )

Andy

Correct Andy....all i was doing was checking the oil...:thumb:

• 5 months later...

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, rkay5 said:

Has anyone used the Tranquility with the Mober bearing and SSP12 sub platter. I just ordered one from Roger. Thanks

I'm using my Tranqu with the SSP12 inner-platter, Robert - but not the Mober bearing (I have a Cirkus bearing).

Andy

Edited by andyr

On 05/12/2017 at 1:49 PM, rkay5 said:

Has anyone used the Tranquility with the Mober bearing and SSP12 sub platter. I just ordered one from Roger. Thanks

Yes. I did "The whole Kit and Caboodle' earlier this year on my "Naim" pimped Sondek.The Bearing was clagged with junk which I informed Edmond of... eventually I managed to clean the bearing with Solvents and degreasing  type products..

5a2905f0c1965_KC1.thumb.jpg.9b57140567376659020ba8b59d9d64c8.jpg5a290600854fa_KC2.thumb.jpg.d46e952a17bc82962419ce0e9660a425.jpg5a29060c5f9dc_KC3.thumb.jpg.222b340d5f4d364a084c6ea813ef3db8.jpg5a29061beac5f_KC4.thumb.jpg.69391c9205ecac570c12916b35a282c6.jpg5a290623e52f5_KC5.thumb.jpg.9ffbb32712c7468179ca45c27639a683.jpg

you'd think they came from the same manufacturer as all 3 items work absolutely fab together IMO...:thumb:

Tase.

• Like 2

Readers of this thread should note that the last 3 posters all have one of Duc's "Univector" arms on their LP12 (Peter) / pimped LP12 (Tase) / SkeletaLinn (moi).  :)

As well as Edmund's composite inner platter.

Andy

On 07/12/2017 at 9:40 PM, andyr said:

Readers of this thread should note that the last 3 posters all have one of Duc's "Univector" arms on their LP12 (Peter) / pimped LP12 (Tase) / SkeletaLinn (moi).  :)

As well as Edmund's composite inner platter.

Andy

2 of us have DV carts too....:thumb:...( think Pete has an XX2...)

Tase

Thanks guys I'm looking to getting the Tranquility  to the Mober bearing & SSP12 sub platter from what I have been reading Tranquility is a big improvement.

A big improvement, as long as it’s adjusted correctly, keeping the distance between magnets at a bare minimum fully loaded, for maximum effect.
  • Like 1