Tiger-Paw "Tranquility" mag-lev collar for an LP12

Well, last night I finally got around to installing my Tranquility (it had arrived a couple of weeks ago). The delay was bcoz I had a cart problem.  I sent my Benz LP over to NWA for a re-tip.  I finally got it back about a month ago (I sent it to them last April!  ? ) and mounted it … and it was fine.  I was intending to use it for testing the effect of the Tranq but, as I've only got an MM 'Muse' atm, I needed to retrieve my AKSA 'Paris' head amp from Martin - who had been using it for testing out the best load for his Shelter (his Slee 'Elevator' offers a very limited choice).

Anyway, when I fired it up … I didn’t get any sound out of the LH channel.  ?   NWA actually replaced the coils on the Benz, as well as replacing the stylus … so it would seem that a solder joint has failed?  So instead, I used my Stanton ‘WOS CS100’ for the Tranq test.

The Tranquility is supposed to drop the noise floor by 3 or 4dB - which is understandable, given the weight of the end of the bearing stub pressing down on the thrust plate at the bottom of the bearing housing is reduced by 90%.  I couldn't really pick this lower noise floor directly ... but i could immediately pick the results of this lowered noise floor!  A more dynamic presentation, better imaging and better clarity are what comes through, as a result of low level detail being improved (from the noise floor dropping). 

The music is so much more “immediate” with the Tranq and clarity has improved.  This is a different improvement to what I heard with Edmund Chan's composite inner platter (that caused bass to 'flow' more organically) but is definitely a most welcome further improvement.

The big test will come on Monday arvo when my normal crew of critical ears is dropping by (this is the 'half-blind test'!  :D).

Andy

• Like 1

Well, last night I finally got around to installing my Tranquility (it had arrived a couple of weeks ago). The delay was bcoz I had a cart problem.  I sent my Benz LP over to NWA for a re-tip.  I finally got it back about a month ago (I sent it to them last April!  ? ) and mounted it … and it was fine.  I was intending to use it for testing the effect of the Tranq but, as I've only got an MM 'Muse' atm, I needed to retrieve my AKSA 'Paris' head amp from Martin - who had been using it for testing out the best load for his Shelter (his Slee 'Elevator' offers a very limited choice).

Anyway, when I fired it up … I didn’t get any sound out of the LH channel.  ?   NWA actually replaced the coils on the Benz, as well as replacing the stylus … so it would seem that a solder joint has failed?  So instead, I used my Stanton ‘WOS CS100’ for the Tranq test.
  The Tranquility is supposed to drop the noise floor by 3 or 4dB - which is understandable, given the weight of the end of the bearing stub pressing down on the thrust plate at the bottom of the bearing housing is reduced by 90%.  I couldn't really pick this lower noise floor directly ... but i could immediately pick the results of this lowered noise floor!  A more dynamic presentation, better imaging and better clarity are what comes through, as a result of low level detail being improved (from the noise floor dropping).    The music is so much more “immediate” with the Tranq and clarity has improved.  This is a different improvement to what I heard with Edmund Chan's composite inner platter (that caused bass to 'flow' more organically) but is definitely a most welcome further improvement.   The big test will come on Monday arvo when my normal crew of critical ears is dropping by (this is the 'half-blind test'!  [emoji3]).   Andy  

Having mine fitted (amongst other things)
in August by Peter Swain. Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Unsound said:

Having mine fitted (amongst other things) in August by Peter Swain. Can't wait.

You will enjoy it!  (I cannot understand what the guys who said they removed it because it "destroyed the musicality" - on the Linn Forum - are on about!)

How about the EC composite inner platter, too?  ;)

Andy

Andy how long did you have to wait for postage ...

Mine were shipped on the 8th...still waitng...have tracking number but info is useless..

Never had to wait this long for postage from UK before...

Tase.

Edited by Tasebass

1 minute ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Can someone explain how this works? 

I don't understand how it reduces weight 

https://www.tiger-paw.com/tranquility

Magnetic Levitation....

The unit does not reduce weight per se but reduces the force applied to the thrust plate on a cirkus bearing.

Continuum from my understanding use the same or similar principle...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tasebass said:

Andy how long did you have to wait for postage ...

Mine were shipped on the 8th...still waitng...have tracking number but info is useless..

Never had to wait this long for postage from UK before...

Tase.

Tony, I'd say a minimum of 2 weeks.

4 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Can someone explain how this works? 

I don't understand how it reduces weight 

4 hours ago, Tasebass said:

https://www.tiger-paw.com/tranquility

Magnetic Levitation....

The unit does not reduce weight per se but reduces the force applied to the thrust plate on a cirkus bearing.

Continuum from my understanding use the same or similar principle...

Correct!  :thumb: 

Trevor, in a Linn, the inner platter has a bearing stub which goes down into the bearing housing.  Normally, its rounded tip presses against the polished ss "thrust plate" at the base of the bearing housing.  (Other mfrs use a steel or ceramic ball.)

The Tranq is 2 magnets which fit under the inner platter and oppose each other.  So - as Tase described - reducing the weight applied to the thrust plate.  Which reduces the noise floor.  Which results in the improvements I described.

Sounds so elementary I can't believe a company that regards itself as making the finest TT in the world, wouldn't have done it years ago.  :D

Andy

PS:  I am sure you will be ordering another one, Tase, once you hear it! :thumb:

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

PS:  I am sure you will be ordering another one, Tase, once you hear it! :thumb:

Andy

I have ordered 2.....

Plus a Mober PS motor/Bearing/inner platter from Edmund.....which arrived at my place from Hong Kong....over a weekend!!!......2 days....:wacko::thumb:

Once the Tranq's arrive I'll do the rebuilds and be all DC then Andy....:P

• Like 1

Have you received your Tranqs yet Tase?
I mentioned to Roger when ordering mine that you were still waiting for yours.
Btw, I tried the felt "gasket" between the motor and top-plate you suggested and it worked a treat, thanks [emoji1303]

• Like 1

Sorry Andy only just noticed this thread.

I know Andys system well - I'm the customer who buys his discards thereby funding new projects-. The increase in TT sound quality from these two "tweaks"surprised me as I thought  this system had gone about as far as it could go.

Let me list a few of the changes I've  witnessed -Maggies, sub woofers, dedicated lines to every component, voltage meters, mint vinyl, dual motors, #9 speed controller, move from LP12 to Skeletallinn, to Skeletal, Edmunds sub platter, Benz and vintage Stanton carts,minidsp replacing traditional crossovers, all Hugh Dean Aksa amplification, designing and building his own Muse phono stages

When a vinyl rig gets this complex I expect changes to be measured in single percent improvement levels per investment.

Both the Edmund Chan sub platter and the Tiger Paw Tranquility lowered the noise floor yet further. In total the two improved SQ by something like a total of nearly 10% ... say 4% sub platter and 6% the Tranquility.

No I haven't used expensive measuring devices just simple blind testing and cloth ears.

The only place I can see this system improve further (famous last words) would be via a very large dollar investment in carts

Edited by djb

1 hour ago, Peter-C said:

Have you received your Tranqs yet Tase?
I mentioned to Roger when ordering mine that you were still waiting for yours.
Btw, I tried the felt "gasket" between the motor and top-plate you suggested and it worked a treat, thanks emoji1303.png

They arrived today..(phew) ....

Bit concerned about the surface rust though I've flipped Roger an email and soaked some air motor oil on the the surface overnight then I'll clean as best I can..

Is the Noise lower with the felt on then..??

Cheers Tase

TranQ.JPG

3 hours ago, djb said:

Both the Edmund Chan sub platter and the Tiger paw Tranquility lowered the noise floor yet further. In total the two improved SQ by something like a total of nearly 10% ... say 4% sub platter and 6% the Tranquility.

Thank you for your input, David.  :thumb:

(BTW, I had to type that line twice.  The first time, the letters on the screen came out in reverse (and I had my eyes on the keyboard so wasn't aware till I'd finished typing!  Does anyone else have this problem ... it only happens occasionally?)

No I haven't used expensive measuring devices just simple blind testing and cloth ears.

You realise that means that a number of folk here will now discard your opinions.  :P

The only place I can see this system improve further (famous last words) would be via a very large dollar investment in carts

Yes, I'm sure I could easily spend $10K on a new cart.  That is ... if I had a spare $10K!  :D

But but but ... the Benz LP is regarded pretty highly (I have read a post from a guy who preferred it to his TKR, @Tasebass  :D ).  And the Stanton WOS CS100 you listened to yesterday is - IMO - in the same ballpark.  When I get my Benz back from its current problem, we can hopefully agree on which does sound better (into the same 'Muse' MM phono stage, with AKSA 'Paris' for the Benz).

3 hours ago, Tasebass said:

Yeah you said it....C'on Andy stop messing around with retips....:P

Tase

If you like what you have, Tase ... then keep it, is my motto!  :D  A re-tip is always cheaper than trading in on a new cart.

3 hours ago, Tasebass said:

Bit concerned about the surface rust though I've flipped Roger an email and soaked some air motor oil on the the surface overnight then I'll clean as best I can..

Cheers Tase

TranQ.JPG

That's no good at all, Tase.  All I can say is that mine were both like your top half - shiny!  But you do live in humid Sydney - so I suppose rust is just a fact of life for you guys.  :P

Andy

Edited by andyr

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

(I have read a post from a guy who preferred it to his TKR, @Tasebass  :D ). 

Andy

Yeah....i read a post once...someone preferred a cuppa tea to a cuppa coffee.......and that the moon was made of cream cheese.....:wacko:

BTW....TKR stunning....but the XV1s....end game....( think I prefer it to my Kandid )....you can post that on the Linn forum Andy...:P:oops:

I'm finding postage from the UK slower 

7-9 days was the usual 

tat from Manchester 5 days toll freight I think the best

tiny parcel smaller than s letter 3 weeks recently 

2 minutes ago, djb said:

I'm finding postage from the UK slower 

7-9 days was the usual 

tat from Manchester 5 days toll freight I think the best

tiny parcel smaller than s letter 3 weeks recently 

Yes its become weird.....dunno whats going on....all post Brexit BTW..

Tase

Cheers Tase
TranQ.thumb.JPG.21a523f63a03055be5da529d3ed917c1.JPG

That rust doesn't look good.
WD-40 would do the trick also wouldn't it?
If it was in sealed plastic, it probably was packaged with moisture or already like that, it needed a silicon sachet with it.
The motor noise on my deck has all but gone when it's up to speed, but still "groans" slightly on start-up.
I used an old thin Rega felt mat...'bout all it was good for ;)

2 hours ago, Peter-C said:

If it was in sealed plastic, it probably was packaged with moisture or already like that, it needed a silicon sachet with it.
The motor noise on my deck has all but gone when it's up to speed, but still "groans" slightly on start-up.
I used an old thin Rega felt mat...'bout all it was good for ;)

Yeah, interesting - mine didn't have the plastic bag?

Andy

Hi @andyr - this is an excellent concept for TTs.

My Salvation TT comes fitted (latest version) with a similar mag-lev platter bearing and, if my experiments with mag-lev feet are any guide, music  is reproduced with more dynamic range and headroom, has more 'air', sustain'. And yes, low level information is improved - as if noise floor is lowered. Here's a pic of the opposing ring magnets on my Salvation TT.....

PS. I recommend mag-lev support feet for a TT.

Cheers, Owen

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

PA140687.jpg

13 hours ago, Tasebass said:

TranQ.JPG

I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about the 'rust' - not sure if this is the ring magnet surface, but in any case there should be no contact between the 2 faces, there will be a magnetic levitation gap of maybe 0.5 - 1.0mm between ;)

Rare earth magnets are subject to corrosion. Maybe apply a film of bearing oil before assembly

Cheers, Owen

27 minutes ago, Owen Y said:

I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about the 'rust' - not sure if this is the ring magnet surface, but in any case there should be no contact between the 2 faces, there will be a magnetic levitation gap of maybe 0.5 - 1.0mm between ;)

Rare earth magnets are subject to corrosion. Maybe apply a film of bearing oil before assembly

Cheers, Owen

I have.....

I will remove and clean then apply a thin protective film.The surface is not the magnet surface ( thats Black ).

Roger from TP has offered to....no insisted ...to sent out replacements no quibble's...cant ask for better than that...

I'll clean them up first and see how they 'look"...

Cheers Tase

2 hours ago, Owen Y said:

Hi @andyr - this is an excellent concept for TTs.

My Salvation TT comes fitted (latest version) with a similar mag-lev platter bearing and, if my experiments with mag-lev feet are any guide, music  is reproduced with more dynamic range and headroom, has more 'air', sustain'. And yes, low level information is improved - as if noise floor is lowered. Here's a pic of the opposing ring magnets on my Salvation TT.....

PS. I recommend mag-lev support feet for a TT.

Cheers, Owen

PA140687.jpg

Great pic, Owen.  :thumb:  That looks about the same gap as mine ... I will need to invert my outer platter in order to get a clear shot ... might try that tomorrow night.

Andy

trowing it down here in Sydney so what better time to fit these to items....

TP Tranquillity and Mober ssp12 platter...

Read the instructions which are a little vague but think i got there... 

58dccebe8c58a_Tranq1.thumb.JPG.10386c3116d79f7acb2b34c704338317.JPG58dccecaaeaa8_TranQ2.thumb.JPG.709c08478e7ea78a3806852808d05b06.JPG58dcced702630_TranQ3.thumb.JPG.03c08d721d7f00008e2d8d9220ce4839.JPG58dccee3e3092_TranQ4.thumb.JPG.df0442739289af13b0ccb91c806d397c.JPG58dccef0bba2a_TranQ5.thumb.JPG.55efafa04476702f61806c8aeae665e1.JPG

Checked the oil and adjusted suspension accordingly...

Quick platter clean and wax....all checked...Go for it Dave...:P

58dccf7bc9c65_TranQ6.thumb.jpg.9af3451d8ce90d0833319a069618898a.jpg58dccf865e18d_TranQ7.thumb.JPG.f197bb084d9b4f070e60b4261868d62a.JPG58dccf91f3fae_TranQ8.thumb.JPG.e518dba6f5d6b6d02752aaa6f4e5338d.JPG

The opening track "Rag Bag" has some nice cow bell action going on...took all of a few bars to realise this is a game changer....the cow bells have never sounded so..well like cow bells....;)

Will update as we go..

Tase

4 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

trowing it down here in Sydney so what better time to fit these to items....

TP Tranquillity and Mober ssp12 platter...

Read the instructions which are a little vague but think i got there... 

58dccee3e3092_TranQ4.thumb.JPG.df0442739289af13b0ccb91c806d397c.JPG

Checked the oil and adjusted suspension accordingly...

What's with the screwdriver on the Cirkus?  Is that how you check the depth of the oil?  If so, how do you know that the level you see (with no platter) is in fact the right level?? 

The "right level" IMO is when you put the inner-platter bearing stub into the Cirkus and the oil just has 1 or 2 dribbles over the top of the housing wall, when the bearing stub is fully down (when the outer platter has been added).

Andy