New Apprentice to the Darkside from Digital

1 hour ago, robbee said:

Vinyl records need to go through RIAA equalization - google it.        and check this out. http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/why-cds-sound-great.htm

Thanks @robbee I know Mr Kenrock quiet well, from my photography bobby/practice. He seems to know most things, does not he? However, I found the guy is with full of generalisations....., non specific nor truly in depth for/in any topic he posted online. The kind of information for secondary level, with their home-works. How much does he know about Computer Audio or digital media...! :emot-bang:

Edited by Chanh
  • Like 2

Thanks Linc. I prefer the weight too, the physics of it deems more logical to me.

Any thought(s) on the bearing of this Japanese DP62L?

I have only see pictures of the bearing and not something I've reasearched. From what i can see, I think clamping or a light weight wound be the go. By light, I'm thinking under 200g.

I have had the opposite experience with clamps vs weights. One clamp in particular - Mitchel - has outperformed weights in my system . It distributes force differently to other clamps and weights. But if you are after audio jewellery and bling, then it might not be the best choice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I found the Denon cartridge you have more noticeable with noise in the grooves than my other cartridges.

For quiet running in the grooves the best one for me so far has been the Dynavector 17D3.

Sold that setup and finding the cheaper Audio-Technica AT-F7 is also very good.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Full Range said:

Ahh you are the bloke that just completed with a friends help to make a new plinth from a piece of wood that was going to be a cutting board 

You have a good setup as it stands 

My advice is to - Remember to view your complete audio system holistically 

You can have the very best TT but if your speakers and other components are not up to the task then it's money wasted 

I'd much prefer to have a good front end then a bad front end. Garbage in/Garbage out.

2 hours ago, Tasso said:

I have had the opposite experience with clamps vs weights. One clamp in particular - Mitchel - has outperformed weights in my system . It distributes force differently to other clamps and weights. But if you are after audio jewellery and bling, then it might not be the best choice

Do you mean Michell Tasso? I'd like to try this as the only clamp I've had Experience with is the one on the Continiuum. But thats more for the Vacuum..

17 hours ago, Chanh said:

Gents - I would appreciate some inputs on the stabiliser. Should I get a weighty one or just a Clamp. Which will work better and link please! 

Photos of a few recommended... 

You'll get the least bang for your buck with clamps and weights.  Much more value and bigger improvements to be found in cartridge and arm upgrades I reckon.  Or better still, buy more records.

• Like 2

Bear in mind also that when clamping, pushing down on the clamp while tightening it will give a lot more downwards force than weights

I have one of those clamps Tasso. I'm not a fan. But maybe its more turntable dependant than I thought? I don't own "bling" weights. Plain aluminum and turned timber. Simple like myself
  • Like 2

I have one of those clamps Tasso. I'm not a fan. But maybe its more turntable dependant than I thought? I don't own "bling" weights. Plain aluminum and turned timber. Simple like myself

I suspect you are right about the TT / platter used.

• Like 1

Finally have the chance to set it up...! 

I must admit, the new gears are matching the existing very well despite the differences between the two domains. Digital vs Analogue...! 

Love the real kick for bass, much more realism than my digital rig, hence more to lives...

I think I could live with this...!!! 

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_5448.JPG

• Like 1

Just be aware that the spindle tapers and it will be difficult to get a clamp to properly grip. I have the Denon 60L and bought a clamp only to find that the rubber mat was too thick and the clamp didn't work. 

• Like 1

Many thanks Gents! 

I have narrowed down to two most affordable ones, apparently it can cost up to $400 each!! :(

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272586592566 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162315193537 

Any other recommendations would be great! 

Btw - I found the Denon DL-103 a little bit bland to my taste. Had previously tried the koetsu cart with Consonance and liked the tonality of this cart much! Others recommended the Lyra, which is $7k to $9k..., :emot-bang:. Rocky500 in the above said Dynavector, which is more affordable, I guess?! So many choices..., and I thought Digital was complicated enough?!! :sarc:

• Like 2

It has been approximately a week into TT, I am out collecting records.... 

Bought some expensive Records online, including this rare Pink Floyd The Wall. 

And today, with the heads up from an audio mate, I came cleaned up these 300+ record from a local collector for $230. Most are in good condition but some are badly scratched. Can't complain for $230 with over 300 records...! 

IMG_5522.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

• Like 3

This is truly addictive, and until one takes the first hand hands on experience, he/she has no $&@?en idea...., seriously! 

I haven't been touching my iPad for week, nor the urge of browsing my digital library while listening...! Such distractions often occur in most digiphiles, the need to skip/jump/stop..., certain to be unavoidable. With my TT experience so far.., nothing but engagingly undistracted enjoyment where it's further enlightening with Bin 407...! 

As previously mentioned, I found the Denon DL-103 a little too bland for my taste. Therefore, I am looking forward to next Tuesday, to have this Koetsu Rosewood Signature Cartridge fitted... Again, many thanks to @Tasso for ongoing coaching in this direction...! 

If it is all working out, my last leg is to source a Thorens Pretisge TT for the completeness...

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

IMG_5531.JPG

• Like 6

Since we discussed this I decided to try one of the Oyaide record weights and this has changed my view somewhat. The Oyaide weight is adjustable but out of the box I could hear some real potential. Bass and timbre improved and I was able to reduce the VTF a little which opened up more detail but without any downside that would occur in the absence of the weight. Nice.

54105349866d806fd4af299e76980a07.jpg
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tasso said:

Since we discussed this I decided to try one of the Oyaide record weights and this has changed my view somewhat. The Oyaide weight is adjustable but out of the box I could hear some real potential. Bass and timbre improved and I was able to reduce the VTF a little which opened up more detail but without any downside that would occur in the absence of the weight. Nice.

How many hours do you have on it Tasso?  :)

I've always preferred the use of a heavy disc stabiliser on my SP10.  Haha, maybe a we should have a stabiliser shoot-out??   

• Like 1

How is it adjustable mate? Are the "pettles" (not sure what to call them!) compartments? What can it be adjusted to and from?

How is it adjustable mate? Are the "pettles" (not sure what to call them!) compartments? What can it be adjusted to and from?

You can adjust the number of weights in the assembly and also use weights made of different materials .

8359f0a5dc9613fe35c4c3adc1d88c47.jpg2cf61e1179866cd1bd301a390dbde0a9.jpg
  • Like 1