New Apprentice to the Darkside from Digital

Hi Guys,

My first post here ever, since became a SNAer! Over the years, I spent most of my time on the Digital forums.

What is it with TT and Vinyl(s)...?! I saw my oldman was using them in my years of kindergarten, and when I got to secondary, it was most laughable perception for my generation where music was meant to be much more convenient, and obtainable online. At time, I asked myself why on Earth one's still using this Dinosaur obsoleted with such inconveniently operable? Is it not music meant to be more enjoyable and all about conveniences....?!  

Well...., as my audio addiction got worse over the years with on going upgrades, spent undefined financial investment(s) and constantly tweaking on my digital domain gigs...., I finally exhausted and gave up the motive ( to replicate that special, none replaceable SQ from a TT setup). I have realised, to get that special SQ, I must go back to the basic, and re-educate myself with the initiative first step into the dark side, myself...... So here I am, with the helps from @Tasso, who started me up with something very budget and entry level gear(s)....... Here on, I hope to pick up more from you guys, those once I laughed at for using TT in these modern days...! :emot-bang:

My kick start setup consists of the followings;

Turntable Table: Denon DP62L

Cartridge: Denon DL-103

Phonostage: Audio Flight

I hope in time, I can improve to better gears......, down the track. Will post more photos of my basic setup soon....!

Your inputs/recommendations are most welcome and grateful!

Chanh.

• Like 4

For a digiphile you are venturing into the dark side but from a vinyl lovers perspective, you are entering a phase of enlightenment.  The truth be told there are times when one format will sound better than the other but  its pretty hard to beat a well mastered analog record that has not been  chopped up into millions of samples and reassembled  using "best estimates" of what is missing. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chanh said:

Someone has sent me an offer on his TT, tonearm, and Murasakino Sumile cartridge!!! :love

What am I going to do...!:(

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

Well I'm sorry @Chanh but that's easy to answer....... grab it quick before your friend or whoever it is changes their mind........

That looks like a very serious vinyl setup !! :love

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chanh said:

Someone has sent me an offer on his TT, tonearm, and Murasakino Sumile cartridge!!! :love

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

WTF is it?!?

And welcome.. you'll have 200+ records before you know it... :)

Edited by caminperth

3 hours ago, Chanh said:

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

Buy that and you go straight to the top!!:P If you can afford it, why not......:thumb:

Guest Misterioso

I learn something every day. For example, it was completely new to me that the Audia Flight phono stage is "something very budget and entry level gear". I also had to google the "Murasakino Sumile" cartridge. You must be the only new-to-vinyl person in the world who knew this cartridge (or a Sperling turntable).

35 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Buy that and you go straight to the top!!:P If you can afford it, why not......:thumb:

Have to say though, at around $50,000 RRP for just the cart and TT you mentioned, it will be the most expensive (2nd) entry to analogue in history........:D

Cheers Guys! 

As beginner, I will take my time to enjoy the journey...! The highend setup can come later down the track, when I have sufficient savings are in place. 

Right now, these will do for the interim. 

IMG_5417.JPG

IMG_5420.JPG

IMG_5421.JPG

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

IMG_5432.JPG

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Cheers Guys! 

As beginner, I will take my time to enjoy the journey...! The highend setup can come later down the track, when I have sufficient savings are in place. 

Right now, these will do for the interim. 

IMG_5417.JPG

IMG_5420.JPG

IMG_5421.JPG

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

IMG_5432.JPG

Well HELLO....I should think that set up should do for now.....lovely TT there.:thumb: Have fun! PS: Did your Sperling mate think you'd just won Tattslotto?:D

Edited by stevoz

Ahh you are the bloke that just completed with a friends help to make a new plinth from a piece of wood that was going to be a cutting board 

You have a good setup as it stands 

My advice is to - Remember to view your complete audio system holistically 

You can have the very best TT but if your speakers and other components are not up to the task then it's money wasted 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Ahh you are the bloke that just completed with a friends help to make a new plinth from a piece of wood that was going to be a cutting board 

You have a good setup as it stands 

My advice is to - Remember to view your complete audio system holistically 

You can have the very best TT but if your speakers and other components are not up to the task then it's money wasted 

Great advice, but you're not thinking of the 'ironbark' plinth are you Full Range? If so, correct TT brand but different guy.:P  Here:

:thumb:

Edited by stevoz

That's the 

26 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Great advice, but you're not thinking of the 'ironbark' plinth are you Full Range? If so, correct TT brand but different guy.:P  Here:

Yes I was thinking about the iron bark plinth - thanks for the clarification :unsure:

That is a good upgrade path the OP can take 

My other comments still stand 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Full Range said:

That's the 

Yes I was thinking about the iron bark plinth - thanks for the clarification :unsure:

That is a good upgrade path the OP can take 

My other comments still stand 

Thank You @Full Range

Downstream, I have Vitus SL10, Gryphon AS drives a pair of Magico S5s. 

Hopefully adequate... :thumb:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Downstream, I have Vitus SL10, Gryphon AS drives a pair of Magico S5s. 

Hopefully adequate... :thumb:

Your setup is definitely not good enough for a vinyl rig mate.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  

If it's any consolation, you can send these inferior products to me and I will take them at no charge to help a fellow vinyl addict.  Out of the goodness of my heart you understand. 

Welcome me to the darkside and enjoy your new toys.  Lots of good suggestions regarding which records to buy in the Currently Spinning thread.  :thumb:

• Like 7

My 2 cents of advice, get a good record cleaning machine next.

You could spend thousands on upgrades to carts and decks and stages, but if your records are dirty it wont be much fun.

Welcome to the new ritual of getting out of your chair every 22 minutes or less:thumb:

• Like 3

Gents - I would appreciate some inputs on the stabiliser. Should I get a weighty one or just a Clamp. Which will work better and link please! 

Photos of a few recommended... 

IMG_5433.JPG

IMG_5434.JPG

IMG_5435.PNG

IMG_5436.JPG

Edited by Chanh

like abg said, plenty of recording recommendations around here.

keep buying records.

then when you amass a collection, and after playing them each many, many times over, then change your analog section to something nice so you can marvel at how much better they sound.

to match your other gear, perhaps something like vitus mpp-201, kuzma stabi m/4 point/etna. that would be a nice combo.

• Like 1

Gents - I would appreciate some inputs on the stabiliser. Should I get a weighty one or just a Clamp. Which will work better and link please! 

Photos of a few recommended... 
IMG_5433.JPG.038d75c4ee1c4c735864f078b39cde1f.JPG
IMG_5434.JPG.d90f1c09883ec704615e12f17c35b824.JPG
IMG_5435.thumb.PNG.2b02c181296da1e07322cb9c752a798c.PNG
IMG_5436.JPG.7a23569c45ac4b758da08fa8d3d9c034.JPG

Not all bearings can accommodate TT weights. So clamps can be a good option. But where the bearing is substantial enough, in my experience, weights are better where possible.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Upfront said:

Not all bearings can accommodate TT weights. So clamps can be a good option. But where the bearing is substantial enough, in my experience, weights are better where possible.

Thanks Linc. I prefer the weight too, the physics of it deems more logical to me.

Any thought(s) on the bearing of this Japanese DP62L?

Edited by Chanh