Mat-with-one-t

Best felt mat replacement Pro-ject 6.1 turntable

14 posts in this topic

Hi all.  I have a great Pro-Ject 6.1 I've had since new.  Having recently been spinning some brand new vinyl, I was getting the impression some of the pressings were actually warped, however I reckon the felt mat is now a bit misshapen and dodgy.

I have read all sorts of debates about cork vs rubber vs felt.  I am happy to try any of these (or the various combos), or just replace the felt for the same again.

Oh, as an aside, how do people wash these felt mats?  Mine seems to collect a bit of dust (especially since the stock cover doesn't actually fully cover the unit!!).

I have an Ortofon MC10 Super (and I'd love to try a Hana SL one day....).  Everything else is stock.

I've read good things about these - http://herbiesaudiolab.net/ttmat.htm

Would love to hear suggestions for a replacement, especially from those with 1st hand experience (given variances between setups).

Mat

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

Please support our sponsors by clicking on their banners:

The old 6.1. What a unique turntable in its day. Platter could be warped mate. See if one of those Acrylic upgrade platters from Project will fit.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

The old 6.1. What a unique turntable in its day. Platter could be warped mate. See if one of those Acrylic upgrade platters from Project will fit.

Good point.  I'll have a closer look with a straight edge....

I have access to machining.  What would be best material if I were to make one?  Would weight have to be the same?

49 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Wow thanks.  Some evening reading to be done....

Won't take long, they're just ebay ad's. :thumb:

Love the acrylic platter on my Carbon...not sure if it would fit the 6.1 tho...?

If it's just the mat then I highly recommend the suede option.

As long as you have a decent pair of scissors suede should be readily available locally. I made one for a Linn that clearly out performed the felt mat and was almost indistinguishable to the Herbies.

Greg

40 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

If it's just the mat then I highly recommend the suede option.

As long as you have a decent pair of scissors suede should be readily available locally. I made one for a Linn that clearly out performed the felt mat and was almost indistinguishable to the Herbies.

Greg

Cool.  I have some lying around so I'll give it a try!  Thanks.

oh - fuzz up or down?

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

30 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

oh - fuzz up or down?

Try both ways. I have seen recommendations for both fuzz up and fuzz down.

The suede I used had "fuzz" on both sides, so I had nothing to try.:D

Greg

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, GregWormald said:

Try both ways. I have seen recommendations for both fuzz up and fuzz down.

The suede I used had "fuzz" on both sides, so I had nothing to try.:D

Greg

33 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

oh - fuzz up or down?

A friend of mine who continuously experiments with mats supplied me with a suede mat - fuzz side up, he said.

But then he came back and told me to put it 'leather side' up - and it sounded better! :thumb:

Then he said ... cut the central circle out (where the record label is) and it will sound even better!  And it did!  :D

Andy

PS: Don't forget to adjust VTA if your leather mat is thicker than whatever you were using before.

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

A friend of mine who continuously experiments with mats supplied me with a suede mat - fuzz side up, he said.

But then he came back and told me to put it 'leather side' up - and it sounded better! :thumb:

Then he said ... cut the central circle out (where the record label is) and it will sound even better!  And it did!  :D

Andy

PS: Don't forget to adjust VTA if your leather mat is thicker than whatever you were using before.

My suede mat certainly sounded better when I reduced the thickness of the label and rim areas so the mat supported the playing surface.

Greg

Edited by GregWormald

Cool.  Thanks guys. I'll dig through the missus' textile supplies or visit a local upholsterer....