Mat-with-one-t

Best felt mat replacement Pro-ject 6.1 turntable

14 posts in this topic

Hi all.  I have a great Pro-Ject 6.1 I've had since new.  Having recently been spinning some brand new vinyl, I was getting the impression some of the pressings were actually warped, however I reckon the felt mat is now a bit misshapen and dodgy.

 

I have read all sorts of debates about cork vs rubber vs felt.  I am happy to try any of these (or the various combos), or just replace the felt for the same again.

 

Oh, as an aside, how do people wash these felt mats?  Mine seems to collect a bit of dust (especially since the stock cover doesn't actually fully cover the unit!!).

 

I have an Ortofon MC10 Super (and I'd love to try a Hana SL one day....).  Everything else is stock.

 

I've read good things about these - http://herbiesaudiolab.net/ttmat.htm

 

Would love to hear suggestions for a replacement, especially from those with 1st hand experience (given variances between setups).

 

Mat

 

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Please support our sponsors by clicking on their banners:

The old 6.1. What a unique turntable in its day. Platter could be warped mate. See if one of those Acrylic upgrade platters from Project will fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

The old 6.1. What a unique turntable in its day. Platter could be warped mate. See if one of those Acrylic upgrade platters from Project will fit.

Good point.  I'll have a closer look with a straight edge....

I have access to machining.  What would be best material if I were to make one?  Would weight have to be the same?

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Wow thanks.  Some evening reading to be done....

Won't take long, they're just ebay ad's. :thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the acrylic platter on my Carbon...not sure if it would fit the 6.1 tho...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's just the mat then I highly recommend the suede option.

As long as you have a decent pair of scissors suede should be readily available locally. I made one for a Linn that clearly out performed the felt mat and was almost indistinguishable to the Herbies.

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

If it's just the mat then I highly recommend the suede option.

As long as you have a decent pair of scissors suede should be readily available locally. I made one for a Linn that clearly out performed the felt mat and was almost indistinguishable to the Herbies.

 

Greg

Cool.  I have some lying around so I'll give it a try!  Thanks.

oh - fuzz up or down?

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Cool.  I have some lying around so I'll give it a try!  Thanks.

oh - fuzz up or down?

 

Try both ways. I have seen recommendations for both fuzz up and fuzz down.

The suede I used had "fuzz" on both sides, so I had nothing to try.:D

 

Greg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GregWormald said:

 

Try both ways. I have seen recommendations for both fuzz up and fuzz down.

The suede I used had "fuzz" on both sides, so I had nothing to try.:D

 

Greg

 

33 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Cool.  I have some lying around so I'll give it a try!  Thanks.

oh - fuzz up or down?

 

A friend of mine who continuously experiments with mats supplied me with a suede mat - fuzz side up, he said.

 

But then he came back and told me to put it 'leather side' up - and it sounded better! :thumb:

 

Then he said ... cut the central circle out (where the record label is) and it will sound even better!  And it did!  :D

 

Andy

 

PS: Don't forget to adjust VTA if your leather mat is thicker than whatever you were using before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

 

A friend of mine who continuously experiments with mats supplied me with a suede mat - fuzz side up, he said.

 

But then he came back and told me to put it 'leather side' up - and it sounded better! :thumb:

 

Then he said ... cut the central circle out (where the record label is) and it will sound even better!  And it did!  :D

 

Andy

 

PS: Don't forget to adjust VTA if your leather mat is thicker than whatever you were using before.

 

My suede mat certainly sounded better when I reduced the thickness of the label and rim areas so the mat supported the playing surface.

 

Greg

Edited by GregWormald

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool.  Thanks guys. I'll dig through the missus' textile supplies or visit a local upholsterer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By surprisetech
      I needed to replace the cork on 2 of my trumpet mutes and was having trouble finding a source for the material.
       
      Eventually came across an ebay store "hytec_1" that has an excellent variety of rubber and cork materials.
      I was able to get an A4 size 3mm neoprene cork sheet that was ideal, for $14 delivered.
       
      They're a Melbourne-based business that supply rubber, cork, foam, felt, composite gasket materials, gasket paper, copper sheet, filter fabrics, etc. in a wide variety of shapes, sizes & thicknesses, so thought I should post a link here for anyone that is looking for these types of materials for speaker gaskets, speaker cabinet damping &/or sealing, isolation platforms, etc.
       
      I have no association with the company, was just happy to find them and was very pleased with the product, service and price.
       
      http://stores.ebay.com.au/hytec-1?_trksid=p2047675.l2563