Mass Effect Andromeda - Anyone keen?

Hey,

not sure how much love a gaming thread gets on a audio focused forum but thought I'd post up anyway.

I've played the previous three on Xbox 360 and thought 2 was the best. I'm hoping the new one will be a return to form but by the controversy prior to launch over the facial animations doesn't bode well. Checkout this link http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/16/14944840/mass-effect-andromeda-animations-final

I have it ordered and will hopefully arrive on thursday. That gives me some time to finish the second half of Zelda BOTW for a clean start, I don't like my chances tho :P

Guest thathifiguy

I'll be getting onto this when I finish Horizon: Zero Dawn. Nothing Bioware has made in recent memory has disappointed me so far, so I'm definitely down.

My order just shipped from JB hopefully I'm lucky enough for it to turn up tomorrow :)

I want to play Horizon Zero Dawn but it was just bad timing for me. Will definitely have to eye out for it on sale as it looks really good and I'm lucky enough to have PS4 Pro. 

Guest thathifiguy

I have to admit, with the barrage of average reviews doing the rounds, I'm feeling like I'm going to hold off until they have released patches to deal with technical issues.

Shame, I was looking forward to it.

I'll let you know how I go if you like. The glitches can be fun as long as they don't corrupt saves or hinder progress.

But lets face it, reviewers need something to complain about. That said some of the glitches I have seen are pretty embarrassing for Bioware no matter which game it is.

Guest thathifiguy

Yeah, keep me posted with your thoughts.

I loved 2 & 3, 1 was good, but I didn't like it as much as the others.

Been a fan of Bioware stuff since KOTOR, so hoping they get on top of this quick.

Guest thathifiguy
36 minutes ago, warweary said:

Those face graphics in mass effect adromeda look about as average as Star Wars Rogue one graphical people.

To be honest, this is the least of my concerns. All of them have been pretty average in that regard. My concern is more around how debilitating the tech glitches are in how they take away from the story/characters etc.

A couple of hours in and I met that short hair lady that the unblinking gaze. It's pretty bad but that seems to be the worst of it so far. Maybe because I'm prepared for it doesn't seem that bad overall? The robotic movement in cut scenes looks like someone forgot to tick on the easing of key frames :P

I miss Commander Shepard a lot (prefer Femshep voice actor BTW). You play as a twin (male or female) in the shadow of your N7 father, so you're a total noob and don't have a cool ship like the Normandy to zoom around the galaxy, so far. Everyone is British which makes me think it was all recorded during the voice actors strike that happened awhile ago?

No reapers this time of course and the new bad guys the 'Kett' are just humans with bug/rock like features. Not very menacing nor do they have cool sound effects like the previous games. On the sound note it is in DTS does make good use of lows to get your sub rumbling :D

The combat feels good, but I'd like a 'cover' button, not to hope that I run up to cover at the right speed to trigger cover animation automatically. Too slow and you'll get wasted by enemy fire, to fast and you wont duck down into cover.

Some reviews say it can take up to 6 hours to get going story wise. Once I'm finally able to free roam a planet and explore it may hit its stride. Lets hope!

My 2 cents 

Guest thathifiguy

I'll be looking forward to more thoughts.

I have a couple of friends playing, one 16 hours in, the other around 45. They both say it is better than reviews would suggest, but that it isn't without issues.

The 45 hours player said "It's like a direct to DVD sequel of the original trilogy", cut from the same cloth, but not quite to the same level.

Guest thathifiguy

Yeah, I think I still have a ways to go on Horizon, plus I think my HDD is about to pack it in, so I am waiting on my replacement to show up.

• 2 months later...

Finished it, was ok. Not a must play but the combat was enjoyable, it was the planetary exploration that got tiresome and that was the new bit for this game.

I would recommend it for hardcore fans only or just do main story line quests to keep the story interesting.

There is also masterful camera work in cut scenes :P

Now just try to work out whats next. Maybe the new Wonder Boy remake or Horizon if I see a good EOFY sale price :)