WITHDRAWN OR RELISTED: EOI: Focal 1038 Be floorstanding speakers

Item: Focal 1038 Be floorstanding speakers
Price: $7500.00
Item Condition: As new
Reason for selling: Contemplating a speaker upgrade
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:
http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio/high-fidelity-speakers/electra-1000-be-2/floorstanding-speakers/electra-1038-be

Blown one subwoofer driver, replaced by Focal almost immediately, no questions asked, no issues since. Used speakers, not babied, not abused. Always kept clean as a whistle in a smoke and pet free home. Veneer colour is 'basalt' and possibly darker in real life than pics. Sale might be in three to four months time, need to do a lot of homework before letting these go and indeed, it might transpire that they don't go anywhere, they are exceptional speakers when fed a good diet. Huge everything. People that say Focal are bright or lack bass (like I used to say) simply aren't giving them quality signal, since getting the mono blocks, the JC2 pre and the Meridian 808.3i CDP, Valhalla's etc, these things have been amazing. A scratch on one tweeter surround, don't know how it happened, shouldn't yell questions holding a hangman's noose I guess. Boxes are gone, am sorry, pick up only or organise your own freight/insurances. This EOI is a toe-in-the-water potential-market-price wise, and/or an opportunity to start a conversation with someone who isn't in a hurry to purchase. Am thinking I will need to blow circa 30k to better these and life is also always dependable to get in the way of such things. Anyhoo, PM me if you want to start a chat. 

Auditions welcome when it all gets closer to the time, pending universe issues. (I wasn't born this cynical, Eyore).

$15k ish RRP.

http://www.visionliving.com.au/speakers/focal-electra-1038-be/id-sj#.WM8C-eRMTcs

Pictures:

IMAG2983.thumb.jpg.2aa8f33d77816f2a09164700d18183e8.jpg

IMAG2984.thumb.jpg.26d71a1d08b927d47545108357083eb7.jpg

IMAG2985.thumb.jpg.b4b2b0cc24a7600316e4d97a8e95bf06.jpg

IMAG2986.thumb.jpg.62f59fa975ebec262bcd4cc4754de18b.jpg

IMAG2987.thumb.jpg.3254dc6719708d549c27b2daad95a1f0.jpg

IMAG2988.thumb.jpg.a84b71746dd049a0d33febe9b5d3f0f8.jpg

IMAG2989.thumb.jpg.7e4a38b83ba1ca235e754a7d39da32fd.jpg

IMAG2990.thumb.jpg.e26bacd399a01d13dcc744d69671c591.jpg

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Jeeeezus, never thought i'd see the day....

So what do you have in mind for a potential replacement? 

Hullo brother Tubey.

Not sure.

Vienna Acoustics The music

Magico

ATC actives

Focal Sopra

Kef The Reference

Maybe a higher end JBL might pop up in the classifieds

I am such a $lut!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Hullo brother Tubey.

Not sure.

Magico

ATC actives

Focal Sopra

Kef The Reference

I am such a $lut!

These two are on my Bucket list.

Magico

ATC actives

actually just one:

Magico S3

I mean seriously, what much better can the ATC actives be compared to the passives driven by ME850 right?

Edited by Qwertyqaz

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Hullo brother Tubey.

Not sure.

Magico

ATC actives

Focal Sopra

Kef The Reference

I am such a $lut!

Publicly you've been flirting with the JBL:love on and off. Maybe is time for you to Man UP!

• Like 1

@Cafad they are a great buy but no, I would like these lovelies from @Oxbow right now if I had the $$ because I know how good these sound!-

@Sirmorebeer  I know where there are a pair of mint S4700 for sale but again, no moola right here, right now otherwise I would be trying them against the Focals. :(

@Qwertyqaz apparently the ATC's are pretty amazing, just saying. :D

I don't sell things to buy other things any more, too easy to go sideways or backwards at this time in things so I have to try one against the other in my own room and then decide...which does make things very exxy but hey, that's our hobby. :)

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jventer said:

Is there a way you can get JBL's to try out - before you sell these?

Yes and that is the approach I shall take mate, regardless of the brand I decide on.

However, one shall be needing to recoup some filthy lucre by that stage, by selling 'something' hence the EOI.

of course the EOI itself can fall through...

Daz, hey mate, so sorry but my missus falls pregnant every time we have steak Diane (she does the sauce just so well!) so yeah, I cant take the Focals now mate, sorry, take care...

When we were in Brissy for the Animals As Leaders concert, the store where we found the Nautilus, well he put me onto some very cheap, mint S4700 but again, no money right now.

I thought you would want me to get the Monuments! :D

Ah, you just want a multi-speaker GTG eh?? :D

Edited by Darren69

44 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Mother of God @Tubularbells where in Gods name would you put those? And don't be rude.

Oh BTW, thanks for introducing me to another hi fi classifieds!! :D

I love them but I don't think they would fit in my room!

The church has many temples mate, you've only seen one of them...

Now getting them through the door and down the staircase would be another issue :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Daz, hey mate, so sorry but my missus falls pregnant every time we have steak Diane (she does the sauce just so well!) so yeah, I cant take the Focals now mate, sorry, take care...

Classic 

just bring the FSSSS indoors 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, awayward said:

Are you planning to keep your subs and integrate them with the new speakers?

If so I think this should influence your purchase considerably.

I love the subs, even if they do the tiniest little bit of low end, I feel they make the sound lovely and big.

Though by now, the difference is very subtle. @Jventer would rather they were off and honestly, you cant tell a great deal of difference at the moment but I like them on.

However, I would not allow them to be part of my decision. I will listen to the mains on their own and select them on their own merits, the subs will just be a little bit of icing on the cake, if anything. Again, the mains go so low now anyhow but that little bit of bass coming from the rooms corners is nice.

I don't think I would sell them, wouldn't get a huge amount for them and they are such nice subs. 500w 12 in in lovely cabinetry, Tassie blackwood veneer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powerglide said:

Classic 

just bring the FSSSS indoors 

Screw my little Krix outdoor jobbies up.

I fear they would quiver when I approached them with the Valhallas hooked to the JC1's. :D

15 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I love the subs, even if they do the tiniest little bit of low end, I feel they make the sound lovely and big.

Though by now, the difference is very subtle. @Jventer would rather they were off and honestly, you cant tell a great deal of difference at the moment but I like them on.

However, I would not allow them to be part of my decision. I will listen to the mains on their own and select them on their own merits, the subs will just be a little bit of icing on the cake, if anything. Again, the mains go so low now anyhow but that little bit of bass coming from the rooms corners is nice.

I don't think I would sell them, wouldn't get a huge amount for them and they are such nice subs. 500w 12 in in lovely cabinetry, Tassie blackwood veneer.

Trying to not sound like an ex smoker at a party, I have recently become a convert to the addition of subs.

For me the inclusion of subs removed the bass null in my room between 40-50hz, allowed me to dial them in at 80hz which enhanced all aspects of the lower register, and surprisingly things like an acoustic guitar sounds fuller and more real.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you plan on keeping them, they may be useful in the future.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, awayward said:

Trying to not sound like an ex smoker at a party, I have recently become a convert to the addition of subs.

For me the inclusion of subs removed the bass null in my room between 40-50hz, allowed me to dial them in at 80hz which enhanced all aspects of the lower register, and surprisingly things like an acoustic guitar sounds fuller and more real.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you plan on keeping them, they may be useful in the future.

Yes, 'surprising' is the word as they do assist across the whole freq range, makes me also wonder about super tweeters and such, I believe they have a similar effect.

• 3 weeks later...