A weekend making an Ironbark Plinth

Hi All,

After much pestering on my behalf to a friend of mine he finally agreed to make me a new plinth for my Denon turntable.

Build a plinth how hard can that be :-) shouldn't have been too difficult apart from a couple of small details. 

The first being that my friend had decided that the slab of Iron Bark he had lying around would be the perfect option.... He was going to make it into a chopping board for my wife .. 

IMG_0454.jpg.c5e0124aedb123486fd03679cd356eda.jpg

and after he had cleaned it up I had to agree it was a great option

IMG_0451.jpg.50e1e6093c237c43d5f280774b6025f5.jpg

The second issues that really came to the front was due to the timber chosen as much as the fact that I own a Denon DP3000 so no nice circles to be cut here. As can be seen form the old plinth.

IMG_0450.jpg.176954a6772e9d352b6d9b30644715b4.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg.d80bdc7691fd9c5c3db231549331e522.jpg

"The master at work"

So Four jigsaw blades, 2 drill bits and about 30 hours of effort we had managed to get everything together. So I have gone from 

IMGP3021.jpg.eb338585046eeb7f084f7254e76b8468.jpgIMGP3023.jpg.0bf1c9e192e85d56c3c48011ea652f78.jpg

To ....

IMG_0479.jpg.558a7f08b82cdf0244196b2801af84bd.jpgIMG_0487.jpg.6d9bbbc77a512c3a7d8f1a584c6c0f80.jpg

Apart from the fact it looks so much better the sound has also improved incredibly. Would I recommend iron bark as a plinth option yes but only if you have a lot of time and some really good tools. This timber was incredibly hard to work and really heavy. But compared to the old piece of MDF that I got went I purchased the turnable I am really impressed with the result that my friend managed to achieve. As side note my mate has sworn off every working with Iron Bark again:-) 

Total weight of the entire unit is just shy of 16KG up from ~5kg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

Edited by AudioCanberra
  • Like 27

wow, I was just about to do a search on this subject. I am in Canberra too and I have a couple of decks I need plinths built for. Would he be interested in making another one or 2. The catch is that I have not been able to get plans for either, although I have a photo of what one should look like. Oh, I can pay him for it too

Cheers

Steve

Edited by stever
forgot important fact

58 minutes ago, stever said:

wow, I was just about to do a search on this subject. I am in Canberra too and I have a couple of decks I need plinths built for. Would he be interested in making another one or 2. The catch is that I have not been able to get plans for either, although I have a photo of what one should look like. Oh, I can pay him for it too

Cheers

Steve

I will ask him for you .. without plans that could be hard .. send me a PM and will can have a chat.  My mate is not local he lives up on lake eucumbene 

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

That looks amazing, so much better than before.....very clean and contemporary.......and solid! Great job. :thumb:

Solid yes ., Should have mentioned in the original post .. the whole unit now weights in just under 16kg. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ABG said:

@AudioCanberra  It was worth the effort and jigsaw blades mate.  Looks superb!

Is your wife still speaking to you now you've pinched her chopping board?

Yeah she is .. but my mate is still on the hook for a new chopping board... though I suspect it will not be iron bark :-) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AudioCanberra said:

The finish is just a wax, the look is really from all the sanding and buffing he did.

Oh yeah, prep is everything. That's a marvellous piece mate, well done.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Oh yeah, prep is everything. That's a marvellous piece mate, well done.

He did all the sanding etc before any cutting as the iron bark tended to splinter really easily.  He did well with a bad back and crook knees: without the hole cut for the table the peice of timber weighted in at close to 20kg. He offered to put a gloss on it but after all the effort the wax was the easiest and quickest option, especially with how nice the timber looked.

• Like 4

This looks great! I have a slab of hardwood I've contemplated using, but I now have a new crazy scheme

I reckon I could take my TT to a mob and get a CAD image created using a fancy laser measurement arm: For example:

http://www.lesterfranks.com.au/our-services/3d-scanning-and-metrology/reverse-engineering-and-cad-design

then use the resulting CAD model to create a matching 'mould' that could be fed into a CNC machine to route out a perfect fit plinth, or even a 3D print if I could find a worthy material to print with.

• Like 3

Great work.

Iron bark is an excellent choice of materials to use for a solid plinth. Was looking for some on my last plinth build, settled for Gidgee, at least thats what I think it was.