Dire Straits @ JB Hifi

6 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Yep, I'm sold steveoz!  I'm going to pick up a copy...

Which of these versions are the one I should be looking at? -

https://www.discogs.com/Dire-Straits-Brothers-In-Arms/release/626182

https://www.discogs.com/Dire-Straits-Brothers-In-Arms/release/733392

https://www.discogs.com/Dire-Straits-Brothers-In-Arms/release/1237285

Well, I have cat no. 9871498, which is the third on your list. I suspect the last two on your list are identical discwise with just the packaging being different, the second appearing to be cardboard (Digipak) and the third being jewelcase (or as Discogs put it, Super Jewelbox). The first on your list appears to be DVD-Audio ( I've not heard with this one), but either of the last two would be the one's to get. :thumb:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LuzArt said:

2nd and 3rd link are the same, I'd go for that, the SACD. Haven't heard the DVD-A. Would be easy to say it's the same master but it's possibly not too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Well, I have cat no. 9871498, which is the third on your list. I suspect the last two on your list are identical discwise with just the packaging being different, the second appearing to be cardboard (Digipak) and the third being jewelcase (or as Discogs put it, Super Jewelbox). The first on your list appears to be DVD-Audio ( I've not heard with this one), but either of the last two would be the one's to get. :thumb:

Thanks lads, I'll order tonight.  It will keep me going until the MOFI vinyl are released!

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Thanks lads, I'll order tonight.  It will keep me going until the MOFI vinyl are released!

Try here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brothers-In-Arms-Dire-Straits-2005-SACD-NEW-/132040934486?hash=item1ebe40c456:g:DLIAAOSwKfVXK81d  $14.95 + free postage.......now that's a bargain! :party

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Bingo!  Sold, just bought it...thanks!

You're welcome.......enjoy it. :thumb: Thinking about that price, it must be the cheapest SACD on the planet....(and one of the best!):D

I have the Pallas - BG/CB remastered Dire Straits and Making Movies albums.  They sound great. Can't really go wrong with them.

But

the local Aussie pressings sound better - :thumb:.   I know Making Movies is etched as a 301 Maxicut. The Pallas pressings are nice and slightly full sounding, but the Aussie pressings have speed, action and are more open in the top end.  More evident on self tilted than MM.    the Aussie pressings real estate also almost go all the way to the record label - so have wider grooves for the stylus to travel along.   I should sell my Pallas copies as they are just collecting dust at home.

If you see a nice clean Aussie pressing of these two albums - grab them as you will not be disappointed.

If you can get your hands on the masterdisk RL pressing of Love over Gold - grab it  - a lot better than the Aussie pressing on this release.

33505318736_47aa49b1ca_b.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I have the Pallas - BG/CB remastered Dire Straits and Making Movies albums.  They sound great. Can't really go wrong with them.

But

the local Aussie pressings sound better - :thumb:.   I know Making Movies is etched as a 301 Maxicut. The Pallas pressings are nice and slightly full sounding, but the Aussie pressings have speed, action and are more open in the top end.  More evident on self tilted than MM.    the Aussie pressings real estate also almost go all the way to the record label - so have wider grooves for the stylus to travel along.   I should sell my Pallas copies as they are just collecting dust at home.

If you see a nice clean Aussie pressing of these two albums - grab them as you will not be disappointed.

If you can get your hands on the masterdisk RL pressing of Love over Gold - grab it  - a lot better than the Aussie pressing on this release.

33505318736_47aa49b1ca_b.jpg

So what's the Warners on the right? The Pallas pressing? I've only ever seen Dire Straits on Vertigo apart from the Vinyl Passion live recording.

I was in JB HiFi today in Bendigo. Saw the Dire Straits LP's, was tempted to grab the S/T @ $24.99 but resisted......and after reading @metal beat's post above, I think I'll just search for a NM Oz pressing. I have Oz pressings of both S/T and Communique but the S/T is 'hazed' and as such, the SQ is tainted. Communique on the other hand is still in perfect condition and does sound great......I'd actually forgotten how good, so Australian S/T it is then.:thumb:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hergest said:

So what's the Warners on the right? The Pallas pressing? I've only ever seen Dire Straits on Vertigo apart from the Vinyl Passion live recording.

Yes.  The Aussie followed the UK Vertigo label.

6 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I was in JB HiFi today in Bendigo. Saw the Dire Straits LP's, was tempted to grab the S/T @ $24.99 but resisted......and after reading @metal beat's post above, I think I'll just search for a NM Oz pressing. I have Oz pressings of both S/T and Communique but the S/T is 'hazed' and as such, the SQ is tainted. Communique on the other hand is still in perfect condition and does sound great......I'd actually forgotten how good, so Australian S/T it is then.:thumb:

Damn Steve.  I wish I had the Aussie pressing of Communique.   I would love to hear the Aussie pressing.

. I am envious. I have a US pressing which is bloated and bit naff and a Simply vinyl copy which is better.

27 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Damn Steve.  I wish I had the Aussie pressing of Communique.   I would love to hear the Aussie pressing.

. I am envious. I have a US pressing which is bloated and bit naff and a Simply vinyl copy which is better.

I'm certainly glad my Communique isn't 'hazed' like the S/T.:)  After declaring I'd get another Oz S/T, I've searched Ebay and all I've come up with is a UK 1st pressing with orange Vertigo label in excellent condition to consider. Could find nothing Oz and NM! ....Anyone have a UK pressing of the S/T album?

Guest Hensa

does NZ count..??....mines says NZ though bought at the old Grace Brothers..

Tase

Same story with my Love Over Gold - bought in Sydney but apparently a NZ pressing. And comes with a Side 2 label on both sides which is dead handy!

41 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

does NZ count..??....mines says NZ though bought at the old Grace Brothers..

Tase

Maybe, maybe mot.  They are different pressings. 

How does it sound.  If you think it sounds great, that really is all that matters.

Same story with my Love Over Gold - bought in Sydney but apparently a NZ pressing. And comes with a Side 2 label on both sides which is dead handy!

I've always preferred side 2... as do all the roadies.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

I've always preferred side 2... as do all the roadies.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I love the way It Never Rains descends into an ugly quagmire towards the end of the song...strangely apocalyptic

• Like 2

I love the way It Never Rains descends into an ugly quagmire towards the end of the song...strangely apocalyptic

Agree last track of the LP is a gem, I too like the way it starts out slow and soft and explodes with Knopfler's guitar shining through late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I've got Love Over Gold Warner Brothers repress Catalog 47772-1. It's just an awesome pressing, huge dynamics and clean top end and just laid down right.

On the other hand I also have a Back to Black repress of Brothers in Arms cat ending in 449917 and it's junk, it's too hot and the top end smears and it's just not fun to listen to. Not heard an Aussie Love over Gold but the WB repress is certainly spectacular.

Drew

• Like 2

I have them all GZ pressings (which are i believe the same as the Pallas ones just pallas presses better), i think they sound good, but when you can get the original Aussie cuts for $10 - $20 at most record fairs ide get the originals.  I have all the originals as well and do prefer them just more organic more realistic to a live sound.  Remasters are AAA up to BIA (not incl BIA obviously).  Those facts ive gleaned from many other forums and im pretty confident that its correct but feel free to correct me if im wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marshall_SLX said:

I have them all GZ pressings (which are i believe the same as the Pallas ones just pallas presses better), i think they sound good, but when you can get the original Aussie cuts for $10 - $20 at most record fairs ide get the originals.  I have all the originals as well and do prefer them just more organic more realistic to a live sound.  Remasters are AAA up to BIA (not incl BIA obviously).  Those facts ive gleaned from many other forums and im pretty confident that its correct but feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Interesting, a couple of thumbs up for the original Aussie pressings now...lucky I haven't bought just yet...  ;)

• Like 1

Interesting, a couple of thumbs up for the original Aussie pressings now...lucky I haven't bought just yet...  [emoji6]

In theory absolutely.

But in practical terms I'm coming to the conclusion that although there would be tonnes of Australian copies of Dire Straits LP's out there due to their popularity here, how many "not played to the point of being worn out" copies are there. I've taken a punt on a few original run copies of various albums only to be disappointed at their condition vs their reported condition at time of purchase. I love the idea but I feel it's a crapshoot.

That said, I couldn't believe I found a Bob Ludwig cut of Brothers In Arms at a record fair for $15. I kid you not, it was as if some bought it in 1985, bunged it in a drawer unplayed and then decided to sell it this year. Of the 6 or so copies I found that day, I'd chosen that one. See, it's a crapshoot [emoji6]

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LuzArt said:

In theory absolutely.

But in practical terms I'm coming to the conclusion that although there would be tonnes of Australian copies of Dire Straits LP's out there due to their popularity here, how many "not played to the point of being worn out" copies are there. I've taken a punt on a few original run copies of various albums only to be disappointed at their condition vs their reported condition at time of purchase. I love the idea but I feel it's a crapshoot.

Good point and good information as I was thinking there'd be a fair bit out there to choose from, just as you mentioned.  This is very relevant for my purposes in that I'm building on my vinyl collection of my favourite music for when I get a TT later this year, so can't test any out at home in the meantime.  Therefore, I'd prefer to go new vinyl as opposed to used, where possible.  The treasure hunting is certainly fun, but I think I'll do that later on.  Good info from those posting about quality Oz pressings though, I think it's something I'll keep in the back of my mind.  :)

On 19/03/2017 at 10:52 AM, Kaynin said:

- the only track on all their albums I flick past is Money For Nothing. 

Agreed, can't stand it. Perhaps like a lot of big hits, just over played to death back in the day.