Dire Straits @ JB Hifi

6 hours ago, LuzArt said:

Nah. Best riff of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think MK contacted Billy Gibbons to ask how ZZ Top got their signature Gibson sound, and Billy wouldn't divulge....so MK figured it out for himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27OT_FSWrIE

This is a great doco by the way if you haven't seen it. Narrated and hosted by John Illsley.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jebediah said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think MK contacted Billy Gibbons to ask how ZZ Top got their signature Gibson sound, and Billy wouldn't divulge....so MK figured it out for himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27OT_FSWrIE

This is a great doco by the way if you haven't seen it. Narrated and hosted by John Illsley.

Have not watched the doco and not a big fan of DS but MK played a Fender so why would he want it to sound like a Gibson.

Just now, EV Cali said:

Have not watched the doco and not a big fan of DS but MK played a Fender so why would he want it to sound like a Gibson.

He didn't just play a Fender. At the point in their career before recording BIA, he wanted that crunchy dirty sound that is a signature Gibson sound. 

11 hours ago, Jebediah said:

He didn't just play a Fender. At the point in their career before recording BIA, he wanted that crunchy dirty sound that is a signature Gibson sound. 

Yes     I see he is using a LP in the MFN vid ;)

1 minute ago, EV Cali said:

Yes     I see he is using a LP in the MFN vid ;)

Fender was his main guitar in the earlier days for sure. Check out the vid if you have time Robin, it's quite a decent watch, even if not a fan, just for the guitar stuff and history :thumb:

• Like 1

I've heard a number of versions of how MFN happened.

One is that MK's Les Paul had a Peter Green phase pot mod. Pull a tone pot up (or volume, unsure) and you can adjust the bridge pickup's phase relative to the middle pup. This apparently gave the midrange quack we hear on the track.

Two is he used a wah wah pedal and cocked it at the spot to achieve that quack.

Three Engineer Neil Dorfsman hadn't yet mic'd up MK's guitar amp when Mark started playing on that day's session. He'd simply left mics in the room from the previous day's work, not in any particular position. Neil is quoted as the sound being amazing and deciding to simply leave things as is and capture the take.

The Billy Gibbons yarn is vaguely familiar but I havent heard any more.

A real key to that song is the bass line. John Illsley is the master of understated bass. There's a very good reason JI was a founding and lasting member and the only one neve replaced in Dire Straits. Along with understanding from the beginning that Mark Knopfler was in control and simply wanted a vehicle for his songwriting, he was also always bringing appropriate bass sensibility to the songs.

• Like 3

Thanks Ben, that is a terrific summation, certainly a tonne more detailed and knowledgeable than what I'd heard in the past. I like the idea of the mic setup per happenstance. Having done some (basic) studio work in the past, that certainly appeals ;)

Also, I like your  portrayal of JI as an underrated player. Very true really when you think about it and the points you raised.

Edited by Jebediah
  • Like 1

Likewise, I had forgotten I had this as well:58d755d3265ed_DavidKnopflerReleasecover.jpg.5fa05b05c91ac51aa1ff5b002c6e23e9.jpg Mark's brother David Knopfler's debut solo release after he left Dire Straits to escape his big brother's control and get some creative independence. It's not bad either...........a bit more commercial with a DS vibe. Both Mark K and John Illsley play on it. :thumb:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

Likewise, I had forgotten I had this as well:58d755d3265ed_DavidKnopflerReleasecover.jpg.5fa05b05c91ac51aa1ff5b002c6e23e9.jpg Mark's brother David Knopfler's debut solo release after he left Dire Straits to escape his big brother's control and get some creative independence. It's not bad either...........a bit more commercial with a DS vibe. Both Mark K and John Illsley play on it. :thumb:

And yet the film clip for 'Madonna's' Daughter' shows MK thoroughly enjoying backing up his brothers some 4 years after DK left the Straits:

Always have thought that odd. DK also conveys in more recent interviews that Mark is usually pretty stand-offish at family events. All rather odd. Also note Illsley and Terry Williams are playing in that clip also, got a feeling that's Mel Collins ala 'Alchemy' on sax too.

• Like 1

And yet the film clip for 'Madonna's' Daughter' shows MK thoroughly enjoying backing up his brothers some 4 years after DK left the Straits:

Always have thought that odd. DK also conveys in more recent interviews that Mark is usually pretty stand-offish at family events. All rather odd. Also note Illsley and Terry Williams are playing in that clip also, got a feeling that's Mel Collins ala 'Alchemy' on sax too.

Don't forget Pick Withers fantastic drummer and with JI very good combination backing up MK[emoji106]

35 minutes ago, ollie_08 said:

Don't forget Pick Withers fantastic drummer and with JI very good combination backing up MKemoji106.png

Pick Withers drumming is one of the reasons why Dire Straits were so wonderful up to and including  Love over Gold. His drumming has organic feel and free flowing energy.  Terry Williams I did not like - no subtlety. 

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Pick Withers drumming is one of the reasons why Dire Straits were so wonderful up to and including  Love over Gold. His drumming has organic feel and free flowing energy.  Terry Williams I did not like - no subtlety. 

After the success of the S/T debut, Dylan invited two of Dire Straits to play on the "Slow Train Coming" album, Mark Knopfler of course and yes, Pick Withers.......:thumb:

• Like 3

After the success of the S/T debut, Dylan invited two of Dire Straits to play on the "Slow Train Coming" album, Mark Knopfler of course and yes, Pick Withers.......:thumb:

Yep no coincidence it's one of my favourite Dylan albums, Knopfler and Withers really shine through on this!

• Like 2

Don't forget Pick Withers fantastic drummer and with JI very good combination backing up MK[emoji106]

And in this clip Terry Williams is in the chair, I neglected to me to mention.

• 1 month later...

@scuzzii John, How did you get on with the Pallas pressings? I've been following this thread for a while and contemplating the same purchase for the S/T and BIA. dead happy with my Aus pressings of the other albums I have, but these two are pretty tired...

1 hour ago, delh78 said:

@scuzzii John, How did you get on with the Pallas pressings? I've been following this thread for a while and contemplating the same purchase for the S/T and BIA. dead happy with my Aus pressings of the other albums I have, but these two are pretty tired...

Hi Derek

I thought the S/T pressing from Pallas was pretty good.  I don't own any other release of this so can only go on what I've heard elsewhere and I'd recommend the Pallas if its easy for you to get it.  Collectors Choice or such.  The cost of the PAllas via CC is on par with just buying the latest Aust releases from JB's (well last I looked).

The BIA I have is the MOFI release and its exceptional.  I heard the PAllas release of BIA at @Hensa  Greg's place and it really was fantastic -  MOFI was better in comparison but after we heard the PAllas 1st, we were not expecting the MOFI to better it.  Highly recommended for Pallas here if you cant stretch for MOFI

• Like 1

On ?19?/?03?/?2017 at 1:08 PM, Jebediah said:

Wow, this thread has inspired me to dig deep into my musical past, as a former MK and DS devotee. I was gutted in 1985 at the Grammy awards when Phil Collins took out best album and BIA missed out, but won for best engineered album, which meant little to me back then, but certainly have a richer appreciation for that award now. 

So about four years ago when I first started collecting records, I picked up this lot as a bundle on Ebay for $50. Pretty stoked I was, and as I'm now spinning Making Movies to get a handle on the pressing quality, I'm wondering which pressings these actually are. Never investigated, but will have a dig now. Early Aussie pressings I'm guessing, and they sound pretty good.

IMAG0856.jpg

Same hear. I got all yours and a few more 

WP_20170519_23_05_24_Rich_LI.jpg

• Like 2